FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
musiclover

by musiclover

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:25 am
Why?
It kinda goes without saying since the only downside you have pointed out was poorer tyre retention.
Bigger tyre volume, stronger rim edge, less chance of sidewall cuts by the rim, lighter weight, simpler manufacturing process. There is always less that could go wrong with simpler shapes and designs.
The reason why we do not have hooks in all wheels apart from bicycle wheels demonstrates that they are not required.
Wider 25 ID wheels definitely do not need them unless you are using crappy sloppy tyres (Conti GP5000).
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I won’t argue for gravel and mtb, but I don’t believe in it for road, the question stated he wanted to use 25mm tires, at that width he better uses the hooked rim version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musiclover

by musiclover

22 or 25 mm ID would not make much difference I assume. All modern wheel rims are quite wide.

dukeynukem

by dukeynukem

OlieSimpson wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:49 pm
Are those the Gravel wheels? It's interesting that your wheels have no logo. I thought Farsports switched to putting logos on their rims.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Yep, they are the Gravel rims on Bitex 312 hubs. The rim code is: FS50/30G-700C (Hooked).

For the stickers, when I placed the order I e-mailed Sandy and asked if they could be made without them which Sandy said was fine. They even went as far as removing the stickers from the Bitex hubs so the entire wheelset is completely blank.
[/quote]

Hi Olie, just wondering what size tires you run on your wheels as I am also getting it as a rear wheel for my bike. I am planning to run 28mm clincher. Thanks.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

dukeynukem wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:42 am
OlieSimpson wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:49 pm
Are those the Gravel wheels? It's interesting that your wheels have no logo. I thought Farsports switched to putting logos on their rims.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
Yep, they are the Gravel rims on Bitex 312 hubs. The rim code is: FS50/30G-700C (Hooked).

For the stickers, when I placed the order I e-mailed Sandy and asked if they could be made without them which Sandy said was fine. They even went as far as removing the stickers from the Bitex hubs so the entire wheelset is completely blank.
[/quote]

Hi Olie, just wondering what size tires you run on your wheels as I am also getting it as a rear wheel for my bike. I am planning to run 28mm clincher. Thanks.
[/quote]

I run Hutchinson Fusion 5 TLR Performance tyres in 28c size (front and rear). I run around 75psi and which gives a nice a amount of complicance without feeling like they roll slowly. The 28c tyres on the wider internal rims gives a really nice tyre profile and I would definitely recommend them. I've done around 3,000km's on the wheels so far and they're absolutely solid.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

musiclover wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:46 am
robbosmans wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:25 am
Why?
It kinda goes without saying since the only downside you have pointed out was poorer tyre retention.
Bigger tyre volume, stronger rim edge, less chance of sidewall cuts by the rim, lighter weight, simpler manufacturing process. There is always less that could go wrong with simpler shapes and designs.
The reason why we do not have hooks in all wheels apart from bicycle wheels demonstrates that they are not required.
Wider 25 ID wheels definitely do not need them unless you are using crappy sloppy tyres (Conti GP5000).
Hooks are all about tire retention when using tubes; that's the downside of removing them - you can't safely use a non-tubless tire. If tubeless is all you want then hookless is good, but that does also assume you don't want/need the higher pressures that are otherwise available (for bicycle tires).

Bicycles are engineering oddities - all sorts of things are used on them that are used nowhere else, sometimes for good reasons. Easy removal of tires is still - and will remain - a very useful feature for most bicycle wheels. Tubeless will always make that harder; can you remove the tire, by - literally - hand on your truck, car, motorcycle, aeroplane etc?! Different priorities demand different solutions I think.

musiclover

by musiclover

tjvirden wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:32 am
Hooks are all about tire retention when using tubes; that's the downside of removing them - you can't safely use a non-tubless tire. If tubeless is all you want then hookless is good, but that does also assume you don't want/need the higher pressures that are otherwise available (for bicycle tires).

Bicycles are engineering oddities - all sorts of things are used on them that are used nowhere else, sometimes for good reasons. Easy removal of tires is still - and will remain - a very useful feature for most bicycle wheels. Tubeless will always make that harder; can you remove the tire, by - literally - hand on your truck, car, motorcycle, aeroplane etc?! Different priorities demand different solutions I think.
In 2021 I am only using tubeless on my road bicycle. I can easily remove the tyres by hand without using tyre levers.
Why would one use tubes anyway?..

tjvirden

by tjvirden

musiclover wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:22 pm
tjvirden wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:32 am

In 2021 I am only using tubeless on my road bicycle. I can easily remove the tyres by hand without using tyre levers.
Why would one use tubes anyway?..
To inflate your tubeless tire when there's a cut that doesn't seal even with worms etc :wink:
[perhaps that has never happened to you, but it has happened to plenty of others]

So, which tires and rims are you using? Many people would be keen to know of a combination that doesn't need levers to remove.......

musiclover

by musiclover

tjvirden wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:28 pm
To inflate your tubeless tire when there's a cut that doesn't seal even with worms etc :wink:
[perhaps that has never happened to you, but it has happened to plenty of others]

So, which tires and rims are you using? Many people would be keen to know of a combination that doesn't need levers to remove.......
I am lost. You keep hooked rims to use it with tubes... Why are they better with tubes, by the way? But only in case there will be a big rip which you are unable to fix with worm?

I use EIE carbon rims + Schwalbe Pro Ones. I did not have to try out many tyres, it was the first set that I bought.

Maddie

by Maddie

Because it's not so black or white better or worse. Tires feel and roll differently. Some prefer the subtleness of a turbo cotton tire combined with a latex tube which is also still one of the fastest combinations possible. Some hate to deal with sealant in general (installation, cleaning after punctures, checking level etc).
These guys will still prefer a hooked rim. Nothing better or worse, but different.

KebabKillah

by KebabKillah

I ordered today the Feder Farsports Hooked 45mm FAR230 hubs. Approximate weight 1260 grams
S-Works Tarmac sl7
Ricca Modelo Uno custom Ultegra di2
Look AL 246 Ultegra 6600
BMC Speedfox Sram NX

tjvirden

by tjvirden

KebabKillah wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:11 am
I ordered today the Feder Farsports Hooked 45mm FAR230 hubs. Approximate weight 1260 grams
That weight is definitely a pull factor for Farsports - it really is good! Please let us know how you get on with the wheels after some use.....

tjvirden

by tjvirden

musiclover wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:09 am
tjvirden wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:28 pm

I am lost. You keep hooked rims to use it with tubes... Why are they better with tubes, by the way? But only in case there will be a big rip which you are unable to fix with worm?

I use EIE carbon rims + Schwalbe Pro Ones. I did not have to try out many tyres, it was the first set that I bought.
I was being somewhat flippant :D

No doubt that for ultimate performance (either speed, or speed v flat resistance) then tubeless now has the edge. Also the advantage of most punctures sealing without intervention. There is still the inconsistency of fitting/removing and mild inconvenience using sealant - some people, some of the time, prefer the ease of use and simplicity of a non-tubeless tire, that's all. I don't believe that one or other is better in every regard. For those that do want non-tubeless, then you need that hook on the rim.......Farsports are doing a great job providing both hooked and hookless.

Thanks for the EIE/Schwalbe tip. Those EIE rims look really interesting; so much choice with prices and weights listed. Surely EIE make for other brands - I wonder who though?

musiclover

by musiclover

tjvirden wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:35 am
I was being somewhat flippant :D

No doubt that for ultimate performance (either speed, or speed v flat resistance) then tubeless now has the edge. Also the advantage of most punctures sealing without intervention. There is still the inconsistency of fitting/removing and mild inconvenience using sealant - some people, some of the time, prefer the ease of use and simplicity of a non-tubeless tire, that's all. I don't believe that one or other is better in every regard. For those that do want non-tubeless, then you need that hook on the rim.......Farsports are doing a great job providing both hooked and hookless.

Thanks for the EIE/Schwalbe tip. Those EIE rims look really interesting; so much choice with prices and weights listed. Surely EIE make for other brands - I wonder who though?
You have just said that tubeless is faster and more protected against flats but is not better than tubed? Are you a part of a Neoliberal crowd? Be careful, people who use tubes like to be referred to as "alternatively tubeless" and demand the same rights and respect as tubeless people.
I am a simple person in that regard. When something is better - I just call it that and am happy to explain why. Initially though, I was responding to a comment where someone said "hooked is better", without any explanation. Read back.

Coming back to our topick. I will ask again: "Why is hooked better with tubes?"

EIE brand - I would not recommend them. They have ambitions to be an A brand right on top with LB, Farsports and Winspace. But they lack the quality control for that. Their mould shapes look a bit similar to LB's and they all come from the same city, they refuse to disclose the level of their cooperation. Might be all the same factory.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Neo-liberal? That means in favour of market economics and the rights of the individual above the right of the state. :noidea:

On topic, really like the idea of hookless just because of what it means for the manufacturing of the rim - strength, weight, etc. However, for road use I just can't get past the idea that I need to have the option to run regular clinchers. Love my cloth tires on certain days. I guess the reall solution is even more wheelsets. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com