FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
robbosmans

by robbosmans

Try to lift the wheel in the fork, the dropouts don’t always fit the endcaps that wheel. Hold the wheel with one hand and the allen with your other hand, just try to get it in there.

Someonetimes also need a small tap to get the last part thru.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musiclover

by musiclover

asas54 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:23 am
I didn't get 100% what you are trying to say but if you are talking about trying to screw thru axle on the fork without installing the wheel, I tried and it works perfectly fine. If you are also talking about pushing thru axle through the wheel without installing the wheel on the fork, the thru axle goes into the hub perfectly fine.
OK, the reason why you are unable to do it is because the OUTER diameter of the end caps is slightly smaller than other wheelsets. Which lets the wheel to not align properly when sitting in the drop outs. Like the others suggested, slightly lift the wheel as you are pushing the thru axle and it should work fine. May be more obvious with a bike in the stand when it is not upside down.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

asas54

by asas54

musiclover wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:55 am
asas54 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:23 am
I didn't get 100% what you are trying to say but if you are talking about trying to screw thru axle on the fork without installing the wheel, I tried and it works perfectly fine. If you are also talking about pushing thru axle through the wheel without installing the wheel on the fork, the thru axle goes into the hub perfectly fine.
OK, the reason why you are unable to do it is because the OUTER diameter of the end caps is slightly smaller than other wheelsets. Which lets the wheel to not align properly when sitting in the drop outs. Like the others suggested, slightly lift the wheel as you are pushing the thru axle and it should work fine. May be more obvious with a bike in the stand when it is not upside down.
Sadly I already tried to lift the wheel with pushing the thru axle. I only put the bike upside down to record the video easier. I already tried it with the bike on a bike stand. Shape of the end caps compared to other wheels are slightly different (smooth edges vs sharp edges, notch end vs no notch). Can shapes of end cap shapes affect it?

musiclover

by musiclover

asas54 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:50 pm
Sadly I already tried to lift the wheel with pushing the thru axle. I only put the bike upside down to record the video easier. I already tried it with the bike on a bike stand. Shape of the end caps compared to other wheels are slightly different (smooth edges vs sharp edges, notch end vs no notch). Can shapes of end cap shapes affect it?
There is no "shape" as such it is just cylindrical... There may be a smaller or a bigger chamfer but this does not affect it.
There is no magic there. If you are able to fit it through without the wheel and fit it through wheel - it means that the wheel is misaligned with the dropouts when you fit it.
I had a similar problem recently but that was due to a protruding markings on the thru axle. Had to sand it a bit. But yours does not sound like it.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

sheepbleat

by sheepbleat

Sounds like their Xiamen factory seems is back up and running. Wheels shipped and are en route via EMS.

Honestly really impressed by the communication and customer service from Emma and the Farsports team.

Hoping for the Black Friday sale that others mentioned so I can cop a pair of wheels for my gravel bike, too.

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

I need to complain the Ventoux S4 series Freehub, I just use 4 times of this wheels and now, it seems a oxidation grease in the freehub, I clean the original grease and your the shimano premium grease all around the freehub, but I notice the bearing have not a smooth rotation, comparing with the hyper bearing, are more better the smooth rotation, any one can help me? thanks

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

For those of us wondering if there will be an upcoming sale, I got a reply from Sandy at Farsports on Oct 20 who said there will be a sale (10% off) for 11-11.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

scoobydrew wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:02 am
For those of us wondering if there will be an upcoming sale, I got a reply from Sandy at Farsports on Oct 20 who said there will be a sale (10% off) for 11-11.
Awesome, thank you!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

sheepbleat

by sheepbleat

scoobydrew wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:02 am
Awesome. Guess I'll treat myself. Thank you!

PUNlSHER

by PUNlSHER

Does anyone know if they sell rear wheel separately?
S6 EVO3 - 6380g CAAD13 - 6626g TOPSTONE Al - 8195g

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

PUNlSHER wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:24 am
Does anyone know if they sell rear wheel separately?
Yes, just contact Farsports by email.

byunbee

by byunbee

draft
Last edited by byunbee on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

byunbee

by byunbee

draft
Last edited by byunbee on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

byunbee

by byunbee

Let me start off by saying that I've ordered Farsports wheels (60mm) in the past (with DT 350 hubs) and have no issues with them. I think they are good quality wheels. Now I'm looking to buy another shallower and lighter set in 45mm.

So, I've been looking at prices for the Farsports Feder wheels with various hub configurations against Zipp 303s and trying to decide which makes the most sense.

With the 11.11 pricing Farsports wheels costs: $105.26 is shipping
- FSD45CM-27T-SUD H (Hookless) with Bitex 312 hubs = $668.70 + $105.26 = $773.96
- Weight of *1290g + valve stems 20g = 1310g*
- FSD45CM-27T-SUD H (Hookless) with DT Swiss 350S hubs + 54T Upgrade = $711.00 + $65.00 + $105.26 = $881.26
- Weight of *1380g + valve stems 20g = 1400g*
- FSD45CM-27T-SUD H (Hookless) with DT Swiss 240EXP hubs + 54T Upgrade = $936.90 + $65.00 + $105.26 = $1,107.16
- Weight of *1300g + valve stems 20g = 1320g*

2021 Zipp 303S 45mm Hookless 23mm internal / 27mm External = $1071.00 + $83.00 (tax) + Free Shipping (2 Express Air) = $1,154.00
- Weight of 1550g includes valve stems and rim tape

Farsports
- PROS
- Lighter
- Better hub choices
- Have personally purchased and used Farsports wheels so I have a level of confidence that these are not cheap low-end wheels
- $47 to $380 less expensive depending on the hub choice
- CONS
- Long shipping time 1-2 months
- Wheel mold is not the latest and greatest; likely uses open sourced molds
- Quality Control may be less
- No professional reviews; only user reviews with inconsistent experiences
- Recommended tire pressure seems very limited. For hookless Farsports recommends minimum 28c tires and very low tire pressure of 56 psi, when the tires that they sells as option for these wheels are Schwalbe One which have 70 - 110 psi rating which is outside of Farsports reference chart. The information here doesn't seem to align with what they are selling which doesn't instill a lot of confidence in their hookless models. You can find Farsports tire pressure chart in the link below and scroll down towards the bottom:
- Warranty is limited to 2 years and only for manufacturing defects
- Warranty service requires buyer to pay shipping both ways and the process can take months

ZIPP
- PROS
- Free 2 day shipping anywhere in the world
- One of if not the top brand when it comes to wheels with one of the longest history and experience deisgning and manufacturing wheels
- Well respected in-house designs that lead the market
- Very good quality control in place and does not outsource to third party manufacturers
- Well reviewed and considered top value for performance model among top brands
- Lifetime Warranty (this is the biggest draw for me)
- If wheels are damaged during intended use (includes pot holes, crashes, etc) Zipp will replace the wheels free
- If wheels are damaged during non-intended use (e.g. during transport, accidentally falling on your bike, etc.) is covered by "Life Happens" aspect where you only pay 50% of the wheel cost
- CONS
- Heavier by around 250g which is not insignificant (but they say rotational mass is not critical albeit there may be benefits when accelerating due to lower weight)
- Hubs are Zipp's basic model carried over from older 302 wheels

Eventhough, I listed a lot more pros for Zipps, I'm not decided mainly due to weight difference and choice of better hub. But then I'm also telling myself, even if the hubs aren't the best, if there are issues, Zipp will replace them for the life of my ownership.

I'm not trying to bash Farsports with this post, so don't get the wrong idea. I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts on so that I can hopefully make an informed decision on my next set of wheels.

Thanks.

sheepbleat

by sheepbleat

Wheels arrived today. They look great and mounted up with no issues whatsoever.

They're a rim brake set: 25mm deep Feder rims, DT 180 EXP hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, brass nipples.

Weight is 1197.9g

Very stoked on riding them this weekend.

Anyone have experience with the Farsports Ti skewers? Coming from internal cam Shimano 6800 ones I have a hard time assessing how tight they should be. I put a fair amount of effort into closing them, and I can still rotate them when they're closed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com