FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

Smeagol wrote:I received my 28mm width/45mm depth Feder wheels with DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs last week. The wheels work great and also weigh 1348g, 22g lesser than specified weight.

Hubs were also supposedly improved versions with the '110' production code.

The only thing that is off is the front hub decals. They seem to be facing in the reverse direction (i.e. pointing forwards when looking from the saddle position POV). Anyone else had this issue?

DT Swiss decal on my Feder is the same.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

Reporting in with my Feder Disc with DT Swiss 240, 35mm deep, 27mm wide with 22mm internal width, hookless wheels after months of abuse.

I am running 28c Schwalbe Pro One Addix TL tires, and the wheels have been fantastic. They're so responsive, fast, light, perform very well. I once crashed my front rim and was and to buy the replacement from Farsports with ease.

Since I like to ride with wider road tires, I wish I went with their gravel wheels. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the wheels.Image

Aesch

by Aesch

Usernamealex wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:59 am
Reporting in with my Feder Disc with DT Swiss 240, 35mm deep, 27mm wide with 22mm internal width, hookless wheels after months of abuse.

I am running 28c Schwalbe Pro One Addix TL tires, and the wheels have been fantastic. They're so responsive, fast, light, perform very well. I once crashed my front rim and was and to buy the replacement from Farsports with ease.

Since I like to ride with wider road tires, I wish I went with their gravel wheels. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the wheels.Image

Painful picture though :o

tyro13

by tyro13

I would like to build a tubular 40mm kaze tubular wheelset. which brand of hub shut i choose.... 6hole Carbon TI or tune? Thx for your opinion.
(Racing)

ullmanz

by ullmanz

tyro13 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:56 pm
I would like to build a tubular 40mm kaze tubular wheelset. which brand of hub shut i choose.... 6hole Carbon TI or tune? Thx for your opinion.
(Racing)
I read a lot of good stuff about Carbon TI.
But I read that there might be compatibility problems with future Shimano releases, so in the end I went for the slightly heavier DTSwiss 240EXP
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

tyro13

by tyro13

ullmanz wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:58 pm
tyro13 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:56 pm
(Racing)
I read a lot of good stuff about Carbon TI.
But I read that there might be compatibility problems with future Shimano releases, so in the end I went for the slightly heavier DTSwiss 240EXP
You have a Point👍 i keep that in mind.

michael432000

by michael432000

I have a Proforma Invoice from Farsports sent to my email address. In PayPal is it safe to pay simply using their Paypal Acc: farwheels2014@foxmail.com or do they have to set something up in PayPal, PayPal invoice or whatever. Thank you.

Because I am buying Alps series wheels not advertised on the Farsports website I just contacted them and received an invoice. Normally when you pay via a website all the information comes up regarding the product etc. But here i'm just sending funds to a PayPal account.

Aesch

by Aesch

I asked them to send me a pay request through PayPal, worked fine.

michael432000

by michael432000

Aesch wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:31 pm
I asked them to send me a pay request through PayPal, worked fine.
Ah, thank you. I'll ask.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

I need a gravel wheel for my superX, wondering if they can dish the wheel 6mm to fit my Ai chanstays, i sent a email, they didnt respond, yet

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 am
First time poster and am currently awaiting my order from Farsports.

I'm based in the Netherlands so do zero climbing and more often than not ride in 20mph+ cross winds due to the flat, open countryside. I'm currently running 28c Hutchinson Fusion5 Performance tyres (VERY highlighly recommend these) in a tubeless configuration on my stock wheels (around 2000g for the wheelset exc. tyres, rim tape and valves) and wanted a nice, mid-depth aero profile rim for my new wheelset.

After looking through the Farpsorts range I ended up choosing the Gravel rims in the following set-up:
- Hooked 50mm Deep/24mm Internal/30mm external profile
- Bitex 312 Hubs (24h F+R)
- CX-Ray spokes
- Brass Nipples
Total expected weight 1405g.

The Gravel rims themselves are listed as being 420g on Farsports site, which is (somewhat confusingly) lighter than equivalent Fader 50mm hooked option (listed at 425g). They're also internally (5mm) and externally (4mm) wider than the Fader's, so in theory should give me the best aero profile based on my tyre set-up (compared to Kaze and Fader options) with the same rim depth - Rim to tyre ratio with my set-up will be 107%.

I'm hoping for some sort of performance advantage over my stock Alu rims, but at minimum I should save around 600g vs my existing set-up which should make the bike feel much better to ride.

I'll follow-up with a proper review of the wheels once they're delivered and have been tested.

In the meantime, does anyone have experience with the Bitex 312 (or other) hubs with both normal and ceramic bearings? Do they really provide that much of a performance benefit and would you recommend upgrading to ceramic?
Quick update to say I've just received my wheelset.

Timings wise, I placed the order on 10th May, the wheels were then built with shipping confirmed on 14th May.

I chose standard shipping with pre-paid import duties and the wheels arrived today (to Amsterdam, Netherlands), so around 14 days in total. They were delivered via DPD with no additional charges etc.

More than happy with this given its a hand built set of wheels being sent to almost the other side of the world.

Not much to say about the packaging other than it was great. The outer box was in perfect condition upon delivery and the wheels were safely and securely housed inside.

Now to the wheels, starting with the weight they come in at 680g for the front and 770g for the rear (1450g for the pair), which is 40g heavier than estimated however I did opt for the brass nipples which is probably where the extra weight is. Again very happy with this given they are 50mm deep and 30mm wide rims laced to mid weight hubs.

Sapim super light spokes, alu nipples and lighter hubs and you could easily get this down to close to 1300g if you have the budget!

The rims are flawless with no blemishes or deviations that I can see so super happy with that.

Two things on the rims I've not read in reviews before; there is a small hole (maybe 2mm in diameter) drilled in to each side of the rim which I guess is to let out any water that might seep into the rim through the nipples(the gravel rims are not drilled all the way through). I did read in one review someone complain that they could hear water in the rim and the only way to get it out was by taking the valve out. It looks like Farsports have taken on board the feedback and addressed it which is great.

The other is the valve hole slightly extrudes (1mm or less) and is not flush, not sure if anyone else's rims are like this?

Aside from that the bladed spokes are laced nicely and all seem well tensioned (I don't have a tool to actually measure the tension but they seem even with the finger squeeze test).

The hubs spin nice in the hand and I can't feel any play or roughness in the bearings.

Overall all of the boxes have been ticked and I'm very happy with the wheelset and service so far.

Just waiting on some longer tubeless valves before I can get them installed and will follow up with a review once they been tested.
Attachments
20210527_195809.jpg
20210527_195741.jpg
20210527_134802.jpg

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

OlieSimpson wrote:
OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 am
First time poster and am currently awaiting my order from Farsports.

I'm based in the Netherlands so do zero climbing and more often than not ride in 20mph+ cross winds due to the flat, open countryside. I'm currently running 28c Hutchinson Fusion5 Performance tyres (VERY highlighly recommend these) in a tubeless configuration on my stock wheels (around 2000g for the wheelset exc. tyres, rim tape and valves) and wanted a nice, mid-depth aero profile rim for my new wheelset.

After looking through the Farpsorts range I ended up choosing the Gravel rims in the following set-up:
- Hooked 50mm Deep/24mm Internal/30mm external profile
- Bitex 312 Hubs (24h F+R)
- CX-Ray spokes
- Brass Nipples
Total expected weight 1405g.

The Gravel rims themselves are listed as being 420g on Farsports site, which is (somewhat confusingly) lighter than equivalent Fader 50mm hooked option (listed at 425g). They're also internally (5mm) and externally (4mm) wider than the Fader's, so in theory should give me the best aero profile based on my tyre set-up (compared to Kaze and Fader options) with the same rim depth - Rim to tyre ratio with my set-up will be 107%.

I'm hoping for some sort of performance advantage over my stock Alu rims, but at minimum I should save around 600g vs my existing set-up which should make the bike feel much better to ride.

I'll follow-up with a proper review of the wheels once they're delivered and have been tested.

In the meantime, does anyone have experience with the Bitex 312 (or other) hubs with both normal and ceramic bearings? Do they really provide that much of a performance benefit and would you recommend upgrading to ceramic?

Timings wise, I placed the order on 10th May, the wheels were then built with shipping confirmed on 14th May.

I chose standard shipping with pre-paid import duties and the wheels arrived today (to Amsterdam, Netherlands), so around 14 days in total. They were delivered via DPD with no additional charges etc.

More than happy with this given its a hand built set of wheels being sent to almost the other side of the world.

Not much to say about the packaging other than it was great. The outer box was in perfect condition upon delivery and the wheels were safely and securely housed inside.

Now to the wheels, starting with the weight they come in at 680g for the front and 770g for the rear (1450g for the pair), which is 40g heavier than estimated however I did opt for the brass nipples which is probably where the extra weight is. Again very happy with this given they are 50mm deep and 30mm wide rims laced to mid weight hubs.

Sapim super light spokes, alu nipples and lighter hubs and you could easily get this down to close to 1300g if you have the budget!

The rims are flawless with no blemishes or deviations that I can see so super happy with that.

Two things on the rims I've not read in reviews before; there is a small hole (maybe 2mm in diameter) drilled in to each side of the rim which I guess is to let out any water that might seep into the rim through the nipples(the gravel rims are not drilled all the way through). I did read in one review someone complain that they could hear water in the rim and the only way to get it out was by taking the valve out. It looks like Farsports have taken on board the feedback and addressed it which is great.

The other is the valve hole slightly extrudes (1mm or less) and is not flush, not sure if anyone else's rims are like this?

Aside from that the bladed spokes are laced nicely and all seem well tensioned (I don't have a tool to actually measure the tension but they seem even with the finger squeeze test).

The hubs spin nice in the hand and I can't feel any play or roughness in the bearings.

Overall all of the boxes have been ticked and I'm very happy with the wheelset and service so far.

Just waiting on some longer tubeless valves before I can get them installed and will follow up with a review once they been tested.
Are those the Gravel wheels? It's interesting that your wheels have no logo. I thought Farsports switched to putting logos on their rims.

card0s

by card0s

OlieSimpson wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:27 pm

(...)

Super fast build/shipping :shock:

I placed an order on May 12th for the same rims, with aluminum nipples, FAR D230 hubs (steel bearings), and Sapim cx-ray spokes.
Quoted weight: 1270g +/- 30g, which is very good I would say.

I did ask for the Sapim Super spokes, but they told me that Sapim Super does not have the suitable spoke length.

As for timings:
The FAR D230 hub will come in next week. So it's just the rim for the order production. :-)
The rims' leading time is about 10-15 days and the shipment is around 12 days.
I'll have to wait, but I'm in no hurry, my warranty replacement frame does not even have an ETA :x

Usernamealex wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:14 am
Are those the Gravel wheels? It's interesting that your wheels have no logo. I thought Farsports switched to putting logos on their rims.
I didn't discuss logo or no logo with them,but on the invoice I have this:
Rims
700C full carbon Gravel T800 clincher rims 50mm deep
30mm wide, 24mm internal wide, 21H/21H, 2:1 drilling,
UD matte, external nipples, tubeless ready with no spoke
holes on rim bed, no logo

mrlobber

by mrlobber

ullmanz wrote:
What kind of problems and where did you read it?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ullmanz

by ullmanz

mrlobber wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:22 am
ullmanz wrote:
What kind of problems and where did you read it?
It was also here on the forum somewhere. I read up on comparisons of the different hubs.
Compatibility problems, that shimano might only allow certain companies to do the new microspline design or something.
I didn't really do much digging there as my 2 choices where only the DTSwiss 240 EXP and the D230 hub. I went with the 240EXP in the end just because I wanted to have the 24/24H rather than the 21/21H.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals