FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

First time poster and am currently awaiting my order from Farsports.

I'm based in the Netherlands so do zero climbing and more often than not ride in 20mph+ cross winds due to the flat, open countryside. I'm currently running 28c Hutchinson Fusion5 Performance tyres (VERY highlighly recommend these) in a tubeless configuration on my stock wheels (around 2000g for the wheelset exc. tyres, rim tape and valves) and wanted a nice, mid-depth aero profile rim for my new wheelset.

After looking through the Farpsorts range I ended up choosing the Gravel rims in the following set-up:
- Hooked 50mm Deep/24mm Internal/30mm external profile
- Bitex 312 Hubs (24h F+R)
- CX-Ray spokes
- Brass Nipples
Total expected weight 1405g.

The Gravel rims themselves are listed as being 420g on Farsports site, which is (somewhat confusingly) lighter than equivalent Fader 50mm hooked option (listed at 425g). They're also internally (5mm) and externally (4mm) wider than the Fader's, so in theory should give me the best aero profile based on my tyre set-up (compared to Kaze and Fader options) with the same rim depth - Rim to tyre ratio with my set-up will be 107%.

I'm hoping for some sort of performance advantage over my stock Alu rims, but at minimum I should save around 600g vs my existing set-up which should make the bike feel much better to ride.

I'll follow-up with a proper review of the wheels once they're delivered and have been tested.

In the meantime, does anyone have experience with the Bitex 312 (or other) hubs with both normal and ceramic bearings? Do they really provide that much of a performance benefit and would you recommend upgrading to ceramic?
Last edited by OlieSimpson on Mon May 17, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinc

by vinc

Why did you choose the brass nipples? They offer aluminium as well?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michael432000

by michael432000

OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am
michael432000 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:12 pm
Anyone in the UK purchased? How did you pay considering quote is in USD currency. I’ve no idea how PayPal handles the conversion.
You can change the currency in the top right hand corner of the website, I paid in GBP for my wheelset around a week ago via PayPal :)
Hi Olie. Can you clarify? I had a quote for $980 (freight and UK taxes included). So you change the currency on PayPal to USD and presumably it converts and shows you the amount payable in GBP before you confirm you wish to continue with the transaction? Thank you.

michael432000

by michael432000

Aesch wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:33 am
don't use paypal but your own CC (paypal offers this in the payment process), difference for me was 3% in conversion to Euro's. free money..
Visa debit card carries same protection?

ddddd1

by ddddd1

Either you choose original price that is in USD, which you convert via the rate of your bank (usually is cheaper) or you choose the converted price in your home currency on PayPal (which uses the Paypal rate, which tends to result in more expensive amount paid). Nothing to do with the cr/dr card.
Same applies to ATMs abroad, which offer you a conversion at a horrible rate. Just choose the foreign currency and let your bank do the conversion for you (especially if you have a revolut account with great conversion rates compared to traditional banks).
Enid: Scott Addict RC Ultimate Team Ed - 7.2 kg (in. pedals and bottle cages)

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

vinc wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:13 pm

The aluminium nipples are more prone to corrosion and I ride in the wet quite a lot, so didn't want to take the risk.

The weight saving on Brass vs Aluminium is only around 20-30g per wheelset (I think) which I would never notice, so am happy to take the extra weight knowing the brass are more durable and require less maintenance.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

vinc wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:13 pm

The aluminium nipples are more prone to corrosion and I ride in the wet quite a lot, so didn't want to take the risk.

The weight saving on Brass vs Aluminium is only around 20-30g per wheelset (I think) which I would never notice, so am happy to take the extra weight knowing the brass are more durable and require less maintenance.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

michael432000 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:41 pm
OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am
michael432000 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:12 pm
Anyone in the UK purchased? How did you pay considering quote is in USD currency. I’ve no idea how PayPal handles the conversion.
You can change the currency in the top right hand corner of the website, I paid in GBP for my wheelset around a week ago via PayPal :)
Hi Olie. Can you clarify? I had a quote for $980 (freight and UK taxes included). So you change the currency on PayPal to USD and presumably it converts and shows you the amount payable in GBP before you confirm you wish to continue with the transaction? Thank you.
Sorry I didn't realise you had been given a quote. I bought directly through the wheels far site and there is the option to change the currency to your prefered prior to processing the payment.

I'm pretty sure if you e-mail back and ask for the invoice to be changed from USD to GBP they would do that for you. Sandy and the team are super helpful!

wtneo

by wtneo

Recently got a feder 30mm with FAR R230 hubs on XDR

Tried putting in on a canyon ultimate but on the rear wheel the cassette was "stuck" and couldnt spin after tightening the thru axle.

Anyone have any idea whats happening? did i miss anything?

card0s

by card0s

wtneo wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:50 am
Recently got a feder 30mm with FAR R230 hubs on XDR

Tried putting in on a canyon ultimate but on the rear wheel the cassette was "stuck" and couldnt spin after tightening the thru axle.

Anyone have any idea whats happening? did i miss anything?

A few pages back, someone had a similar issue with a Cannondale Supersix, the issue was solved with a spacer provided by Farsports.
Your case seems to be the same thing, I would advise you to contact Farsports and see what they can do about it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Make sure you cassette is seated properly, xd(r) cassettes don’t always go on straight

wtneo

by wtneo

Thanks for the info!

Will send an email to Sandy on the spacer!

michael432000

by michael432000

Anyone got Carbon-Ti hubs (rim brake). I’ve got a quote for a set of wheels and it states: axle size: 9*100/10*130mm. I thought axles were 17mm on Carbon-Ti?

Aesch

by Aesch

axles are 17mm, the QR is 9mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michael432000

by michael432000

Aesch wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:17 pm
axles are 17mm, the QR is 9mm
Of course, thank you. Nice to have confirmation though.