FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Just to add if you Google you can find a discount easy enough, think I used hambini50 and got $50 off

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I am looking to order some Farsports wheels with the r230 hubs. Can anyone record how they sound? I like a nice sounding hub. Or at least tell me how they sound. Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

This is my RD230 on Feder 45

https://i.imgur.com/HuuVrB4.mp4

robbosmans

by robbosmans

For wathever reason there is no sound

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Damn, let me fix and re-upload. The noise is on a par with Hunt wheels, basically fairly loud

tjoerd

by tjoerd

OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:47 am
daninplymouth wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:57 pm
Just wondered if there was anymore user feedback on the 50mm gravel wheels?
Torn between these and lightbicycle AR56/WR50 will be solely used on the road with a 28mm tyre
Hey Dan,

I've got a set of the 50mm gravel wheels (FS50/30G-700C Hooked) laced to Bitex 312 hubs with Spaim CX-Ray spokes and brass nipples. From memory the total weight of my set is around 1440g which I was very happy with considering they're 50mm rims on average weight hubs. You could easily drop another 150-200g with lighter hubs and aluminum nipples if you're looking for a lighter wheelset.

I've done around 4,000km of tarmac miles (have not taken them off road) in all sorts of conditions and they're still exactly the same as the day I first put them on. Perfectly true and the hub bearings are nice and smooth. I can't comment on how they'd stand up for actual gravel use however for the road they have been fantastic.

My order process from FarSports also took around 15 days in total, from placing the order to receiving the box in the Netherlands, again was impressed with this.

I have them built with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance TLR tyres (28c Front and Rear), Orange Seal tubeless valves and Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex sealant. It's been a great set-up that retains air really well (I usually only need to add a few PSI every week or two).

In the 4,000km's I've only had one issue where the tyre was ripped by a bit of glass, however nothing would have withstood this, tubeless, tubed etc.

Overall i would VERY highly recommend the set-up, which I honestly think cannot be beaten in terms of quality x price x weight ratio.
Hey OlieSimpson,

As you live in the Netherlands you've probably experienced some bad winds with these wheels already. How do they hold up under strong crosswinds?
Cheers!

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

tjoerd wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:02 pm
OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:47 am
daninplymouth wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:57 pm
Just wondered if there was anymore user feedback on the 50mm gravel wheels?
Torn between these and lightbicycle AR56/WR50 will be solely used on the road with a 28mm tyre
Hey Dan,

I've got a set of the 50mm gravel wheels (FS50/30G-700C Hooked) laced to Bitex 312 hubs with Spaim CX-Ray spokes and brass nipples. From memory the total weight of my set is around 1440g which I was very happy with considering they're 50mm rims on average weight hubs. You could easily drop another 150-200g with lighter hubs and aluminum nipples if you're looking for a lighter wheelset.

I've done around 4,000km of tarmac miles (have not taken them off road) in all sorts of conditions and they're still exactly the same as the day I first put them on. Perfectly true and the hub bearings are nice and smooth. I can't comment on how they'd stand up for actual gravel use however for the road they have been fantastic.

My order process from FarSports also took around 15 days in total, from placing the order to receiving the box in the Netherlands, again was impressed with this.

I have them built with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance TLR tyres (28c Front and Rear), Orange Seal tubeless valves and Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex sealant. It's been a great set-up that retains air really well (I usually only need to add a few PSI every week or two).

In the 4,000km's I've only had one issue where the tyre was ripped by a bit of glass, however nothing would have withstood this, tubeless, tubed etc.

Overall i would VERY highly recommend the set-up, which I honestly think cannot be beaten in terms of quality x price x weight ratio.
Hey OlieSimpson,

As you live in the Netherlands you've probably experienced some bad winds with these wheels already. How do they hold up under strong crosswinds?
Cheers!
Haha, yep, I'm Amsterdam based and riding in windy conditions happens pretty much every time I leave the house. The strongest I've ridden in is Beaufort 6, which is around 39-49 km/h winds. I think they handle the wind really well, in super windy conditions you can sometimes feel a little pull on the front wheel but I've never felt as if it was dangerous or couldn't be easily controlled.

It's certainly not something that would put me off using them :)

JamesInCA

by JamesInCA

Hi, my 40mm Gravel wheels just arrived, 30mm wide hookless with Pro One Tubeless. I noticed there is a blue semi-transparent rim-tape inside, but since these have no holes is that really necessary? I was surprised to see it as I thought no strip was necessary as they're hookless (so no tube option) and no nipple holes.

Edit: got my answer from Sandy. They put a strip of tubeless tape in there to help with seating shwalbe pro one TL tires. The tape was installed poorly and up the sides of the hookless edges too far, actually preventing parts of the tire from seating fully. I removed it, and was able to get everything seated with a hand pump.
Last edited by JamesInCA on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I received my DT240 28H rear gravel wheel, but the spokes doesn't touch each other I have not seen this before, can you tell me if this should have the spoke cross and touch each other? (not sure if it is possible or not due to hub design)
Attachments
IMG_1414.jpeg
IMG_1415.jpeg

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I am not sure about that wheel's specific design, but my Campagnolo Shamal Mille rear wheel AC3 spokes cross over visually but actually do not touch each other, and I can slide a piece of paper between them easily.

sheepbleat

by sheepbleat

My wheels from the 11/11 sale just arrived on January 13th. They're my second set from Farsports, and so far they look great. DT350 laced to their 30/30 hooked gravel rim.

Weather here has been rough so I won't be riding them until spring, but they mounted up tubeless with no issues. Straight as can be. Looking forward to many happy miles on them.

sheepbleat

by sheepbleat

PoorCyclist wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:47 pm
I received my DT240 28H rear gravel wheel, but the spokes doesn't touch each other I have not seen this before, can you tell me if this should have the spoke cross and touch each other? (not sure if it is possible or not due to hub design)
This is normal with DT's SP hubs. Might even be normal with all SP hubs, but I'll let someone who knows more about wheelbuilding answer that.

derkv

by derkv

I also have a wheelset with DT240 SP (24h) and the spokes do touch (which makes most sense to me). These wheels are from Yishun though.

PoorCyclist wrote:

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

PoorCyclist wrote:
This is normal building for straight pull hubs. If the spokes touch each other, there will be noise from the rear wheel.
It's our experience from 3-4 years ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

PoorCyclist wrote:
This is normal building for straight pull hubs. If the spokes touch each other, there will be noise from the rear wheel.
It's our experience from 3-4 years ago.