FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Just ordered my second set of Farsports wheels, the Kaze 35 rim brake (28mm external) with DT350. I'll use them in the dry only but I've read they are one of the better wheels for braking if you get caught in the rain!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

hmof

by hmof

Any recommendations for valve extenders for Kaze 45mm rims? I have some old Topeak extenders but they don't fit through the valve hole.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiz92

by tiz92

Hi all. Yesterday I got my feder 40 mm deep 26 mm wide disc wheelset with their far 230 hub and sapim cx spokes. Build quality is really good, wheels are true and rock solid. Hubs have the bearings not very protected, however they are sealed. Nevertheless I wont expect them to be super durable but I will use this wheelset for races with lots of climbing and not for daily training.

most importantly weight is 1215g (Sandy told me 1200g so perfect). Now waiting for some ultra light Revoloop ultra race inner tubes, and together with a 180g bdop steel (11-28) cassette and galfer 140 mm rotors they will make up for a very nice climbing setup on a relativ low budget. Will update then how they ride compared to my Roval Rapide CL. Fotos are attached.
Attachments
PXL_20211125_163822063.jpg
PXL_20211125_164109116.jpg
PXL_20211125_173403891.jpg
PXL_20211125_173413379.jpg

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Anybody can tell me what import duties I have to count if I order a pair of Feder wheels.
I'm bnased in Belgium.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I have ordered a set of wheels from Farsports before and didn’t have to pay any fees. There is an option for duty free shipping, that’s what I picked.

Also from Belgium

tiz92

by tiz92

bruno2000 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:38 pm
Anybody can tell me what import duties I have to count if I order a pair of Feder wheels.
I'm bnased in Belgium.
Im from Italy and also got duty free and also basically free shipping. But I had to wait some weeks. 4 weeks for wheel production (1 week the factory was shut off for vacation) and 25 days for shipping. As I need the wheelset only for april 2022 when I start racing again it was fine for me.

If you need the whelset faster you can tell that to farsports and they will charge more but ship by DHL for example but imho it isnt worth it unless you are without wheelset.

jfl

by jfl

Also in Belgium. I bought a gravel wheelset and didn't have to pay any duties. I did have to wait more than two months to get it though.

Badstoob

by Badstoob

Which of the Farsports options would be most suitable for a 25/28mm tyre in 45-50mm depth?

tiz92

by tiz92

Badstoob wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:13 pm
Which of the Farsports options would be most suitable for a 25/28mm tyre in 45-50mm depth?
Probably any of their 28 mm wide wheels. Kaze or Feder depending on your budget and weight. And you can choose whatever hub you want.

chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

Did a little playing around to see what tyre mounted up the most in line with my Kaze rims (21mm internal / 28mm external) and 23c Vittoria Corsas look to be the winners. Like a glove.

Compare that with 23c Michelin Power TT that inflate to be a hair narrower than the rim’s external width.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Badstoob wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:13 pm
Their gravel rim would ideal for this 50mm deep, 24mm internal width, 30mm external width.

The rims themselves are also lighter than the equivalent Feder rims.

JamesInCA

by JamesInCA

OlieSimpson's earlier replies may already be the answer. Looking for recommendation from the WW community. I'm sure any would be great, but I don't want to make a $1k mistake here. I'm an analytical, so I apologize in advance if I'm overthinking this...

Usage: 2021 Domane, road cycling. Current wheels are stock Paradigm Comp 25 (25mm int/30mm ext, about 25-30mm depth). Not a bad wheelset, but close to 1800g wheelset, perhaps more with special tubeless strip. Previous bike was 2015 Domane running DuraAce C24 tubeless for the last 4-5 years.

Lots of hills/mountains around SF Bay Area where 800+ feet single climbs are common, but would like a little aero that carbon allows for at low weights so a 35-45 depth seems to make sense. Planning to run tubeless 28mm tires, probably GP 5000 TL. Not sure I trust Hookless at this time given my weight puts me closer to the pressure limits of a 28mm tire.

Rider: I'm on the heavier side: total rider+bike weight around 100-102kg. Sandy recommended the Kaze, since I'd be closing in on the weight limits of the Feder. Fortunately my usual weight is lower, but that still means 92-95kg total rider+bike is my normal.

Kaze 45 seems to up the wheel weight closer to competitive choices. Gravel rim that OlieSimpson recommended is an interesting one, a little lighter but wasn't sure if bumping up to 24/30mm width starts to cut into any aero gains, or if I'm overthinking it and just haven't read all the research yet. :-) I realize some of Zipp's newest fast rims are 30mm outer width, but that's also with their dimples and serrated form wheels, so who knows. Or perhaps I should skip the aero and drop 100-200g for an awesome climbing set given that's where I'm the slowest. Will probably spec for 24f/28r spokes, although my DuraAce C24's were fine for years at 16f/20r. Hmmm.

Rarely ride in rain (once every year or two), don't plan to use these off-road, so any reason to go brass over aluminum?

Gravel 24/30w|40d: hookless, but 24mm internal so lower 6# psi pressures doable. 1310g.
Kaze 45: 21/28w|45d: hooked. 1440g.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

polpy

by polpy

JamesInCA wrote:OlieSimpson's earlier replies may already be the answer. Looking for recommendation from the WW community. I'm sure any would be great, but I don't want to make a $1k mistake here. I'm an analytical, so I apologize in advance if I'm overthinking this...

Usage: 2021 Domane, road cycling. Current wheels are stock Paradigm Comp 25 (25mm int/30mm ext, about 25-30mm depth). Not a bad wheelset, but close to 1800g wheelset, perhaps more with special tubeless strip. Previous bike was 2015 Domane running DuraAce C24 tubeless for the last 4-5 years.

Lots of hills/mountains around SF Bay Area where 800+ feet single climbs are common, but would like a little aero that carbon allows for at low weights so a 35-45 depth seems to make sense. Planning to run tubeless 28mm tires, probably GP 5000 TL. Not sure I trust Hookless at this time given my weight puts me closer to the pressure limits of a 28mm tire.

Rider: I'm on the heavier side: total rider+bike weight around 100-102kg. Sandy recommended the Kaze, since I'd be closing in on the weight limits of the Feder. Fortunately my usual weight is lower, but that still means 92-95kg total rider+bike is my normal.

Kaze 45 seems to up the wheel weight closer to competitive choices. Gravel rim that OlieSimpson recommended is an interesting one, a little lighter but wasn't sure if bumping up to 24/30mm width starts to cut into any aero gains, or if I'm overthinking it and just haven't read all the research yet. :-) I realize some of Zipp's newest fast rims are 30mm outer width, but that's also with their dimples and serrated form wheels, so who knows. Or perhaps I should skip the aero and drop 100-200g for an awesome climbing set given that's where I'm the slowest. Will probably spec for 24f/28r spokes, although my DuraAce C24's were fine for years at 16f/20r. Hmmm.

Rarely ride in rain (once every year or two), don't plan to use these off-road, so any reason to go brass over aluminum?

Gravel 24/30w|40d: hookless, but 24mm internal so lower 6# psi pressures doable. 1310g.

Kaze with Chris King Hubs and CX Sprint will be a robust wheelset.

chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

JamesInCA wrote:OlieSimpson's earlier replies may already be the answer. Looking for recommendation from the WW community. I'm sure any would be great, but I don't want to make a $1k mistake here. I'm an analytical, so I apologize in advance if I'm overthinking this...

If your plan is to run 28c GPs, I would go with the Gravel rims. The tyres should inflate to 30mm, making for a smooth transition compared to the narrower 28mm wide Kaze rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

jfl wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:15 pm
Also in Belgium. I bought a gravel wheelset and didn't have to pay any duties. I did have to wait more than two months to get it though.
It's actually duty prepaid by our forwarder, not duty free.