FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alanyu

by alanyu

George46GR wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:54 pm
tomee wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:50 pm
received my wheels
Feder series 35mm deep / 27 wide hookless with no spoke holes built with CX ray spokes and DT Swiss CLD 180 hubs

front was 545g and rear was 625g
When you do NOT have spoke holes, what is the difference? What does this feature offer? Hookless means that you MUST run them with inner tubes (NO tubeless compatibility?) Thank you.
NO spoke holes means you don't need a rime tape or TL tape = weight saving, and it keeps the structure complete to offer a bit higher strength.

Hookless is a standard of MTB tubeless, which can save a bit weight of the hook, but give a risk of blowing off at high pressure, so it's suitable for gravel which usually requires < 60 psi

Stoffa

by Stoffa

Whats the difference between the Kaze and Feder series?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

George46GR wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:54 pm
tomee wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:50 pm
received my wheels
Feder series 35mm deep / 27 wide hookless with no spoke holes built with CX ray spokes and DT Swiss CLD 180 hubs

front was 545g and rear was 625g
When you do NOT have spoke holes, what is the difference? What does this feature offer? Hookless means that you MUST run them with inner tubes (NO tubeless compatibility?) Thank you.
Hookless means you must run them tubeless. I have several clincher tires that specifically state on the sidewall that they must be used with hooked rims only. Without the hook, you run the risk of blowing the tire out of the bead especially with higher pressures. At the same time, I've seen some hookless rims that state that they are compatible with inner tubes/clinchers. I personally wouldn't do it.

According to the Farsports website, the Feder rim is available in both hooked and hookless.

tomee

by tomee

Aeo wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 pm

What tyres are you running on these?
i had mavic wheelset and just took the mavic Yksion pro UST tyres from them.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

How long do you have to wait until you get an order confirmation from farsports, i got the paypal confirmation but nothing from farsports?
IGNORE THEY HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE AUTO EMAILS

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

Thank you for your thorough review. I was looking for my first carbon wheelsets and have finally landed on Farsports' wheels. It looks like what you ordered is the Kaze which weighs 450g/rim.

I am looking to get their Feder which weighs 400g/rim. How have been the wheels holding up so far? Love your solid Chinese bike btw. Cheers.

George46GR

by George46GR

[/quote]

NO spoke holes means you don't need a rime tape or TL tape = weight saving, and it keeps the structure complete to offer a bit higher strength.

Hookless is a standard of MTB tubeless, which can save a bit weight of the hook, but give a risk of blowing off at high pressure, so it's suitable for gravel which usually requires < 60 psi
[/quote]

Hello, and what happens in the case of a broken spoke or even in the case of a broken [due to corrosion(?)] spoke nipple? How are we supposed to change them?

Thank you.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

George46GR

by George46GR

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a light disk brake climbing wheelset, i.e., the:

Feder 700c Road Disc brake Tubeless wheels, 35mm deep, 26mm wide (19 internal), Carbon TI hubs (straight pull, 6 bolt), Sapim cx-ray spokes

that comes at 1215 grms. Does anybody have experience with them? I'm 85 kg an relatively strong rifer. Thank you very much.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Taylord

by Taylord

I bought the following, delivered mid Jan:
No spoke holes in rim bed
Rim Finish UD Matte
DT Swiss 240 24/24H Straight Pull disc hub
Wheel with Feder rim 45*28.
1370g the pair.

Needed to be trued at LBS out of the box but otherwise great.

Just email with enquiry and they'll sort you out. Smashed out a load of training then Peaks Challenge (235km, around 4,500 m climb). Even chucked in a bit of gravel last weekend and they haven't missed a beat. Tubeless with 21 mm internal feels great. I do a lot of hill work but went 45 mm to get some aero benefit as well. At this weight I don't feel like there is enough of a weight penalty to need to go shallower for climbs. They look pretty good too.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Finding it a touch tricky to navigate the website as some of the weights don't always seem to match up to the model, for example different rim models being quoted in the description even when selecting the one I want in the drop down.

Is there a disc clincher wheelset at or around 1300g for less than $700, and if yes do I sacrifice a lot in quality of hub? I'm only 60kg for ref. Looking at Hunt Carbon 30s as alternatives.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Contact them via email, tell what you are looking fore and they will give you a quote

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

vongarces

by vongarces

I just ordered the Feder FSL55CM-26T-SUL disk wheelset. 55mm deep / 26mm wide outer / 19mm wide inner. Sapim CX-Ray spokes

Based on an email I received a while back about their Feder line when it was for OEM only, I noticed a mention of a Feder disk brake hub. Front (RD230-F) and rear (RD230-R). These are centerlock hubs and use TPI bearings which I was surprised to find is a joint venture of NTN. The hubs are limited to 21 spokes.

Quoted a total weight of 1330 +/- 30 grams which for a 55mm deep rim seems crazy especially for the sub 1k price I paid.

Breakout of expected weights:
wheels 445 grams x 2
front hub 69 grams
rear hub 162 grams
leaves about 209 grams for the spokes and nipples

I would post the informational pics of the hubs I received in the email but since I mostly just lurk, don't believe I can. Should be arriving in 2-3 weeks.

Indyx

by Indyx

Quick first impression review for Feder 45 Disc Wheels.

Here is what I purchased:
-Feder 45 x 26mm disc wheels with Carbon Ti Center Lock Hubs, Tubeless, no spoke holes drilled.
-Claimed weigh 1280 +/- 30G

This is my second pair of Farsports wheels. I have a 1 year old pair of the "Classic" 38 MM deep wheels Rim Brake, with Carbon Ti Hubs. Great wheels overall, but I always thought the brake track was medicore with performance and residue remainder. However, that is to be expected with $800 dollars with $500 dollar hubs. With disc wheels, the concern matters less.

Anyhow, ordered in late April. Communication with them is always good. They even shipped my wheels via DHL per my request, as USPS is taking forever to deliver things with Covid.

Wheels arrived, well packaged. Couple extra spokes, and tubeless valve stems, which I didn't expect.

Weight on my scales 1310 so on the upper end of the claimed weight, but still one of the lighest 45mm disc wheelsets on the market.

Planned to use GP 5000 TLs. I opened them, and let them hang with 5 lb weights attached to them in the sunlight for ~8 hours, as I heard horror stories in mounting.

They went on the wheels fairly OK. Required the use of tire levers, but I had each one on in maybe 5 mins. I was expecting a horror show, but it was a 3/10. I've definetely had harder times mounting CX tires and GP 4000s on wheels. Not sure if was the sun/weights, or the wheels but fairly easy.

Went to inflate them with a track pump, and to my pleasant surprise they both pumped up fairly easily and popped into place. Let them sit overnight without sealant, and one tire held air overnight, and the other deflated, but today when I removed the valve cover it was loose.

Added 25ml of sealant today, pumped them back up, so we shall see how they do.

So far, first road tubeless experience with these far sport wheels, pretty straight foward.
Attachments
20200530_175610.jpg
Screenshot_20200531-175220_Video Player.jpg

spartan

by spartan

any updates on your new wheelset. i need to decide to stick with dt hubs or go with carbon-ti.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Ordered probably the final rim brake tub wheelset in my life :D

25x26mm Kaze tubular rims with Carbon Ti, expected weight around 1000g, hopefully below a little. With 25mm Veloflex tubs should be a dream to ride.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike