FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
nickf

by nickf

byunbee wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:50 pm
Eventhough, I listed a lot more pros for Zipps, I'm not decided mainly due to weight difference and choice of better hub. But then I'm also telling myself, even if the hubs aren't the best, if there are issues, Zipp will replace them for the life of my ownership.

I'm not trying to bash Farsports with this post, so don't get the wrong idea. I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts on so that I can hopefully make an informed decision on my next set of wheels.

Thanks.
I have done this exact comparison. My big holdback from the zipp 303s is hookless. Even after reading some of the user experiences on this form, I don't think I would ever go hookless. BUT even with that said farsports is the place to go for an affordable wheelset. Let's face it that's why we purchased their wheels in the first place. As a bonus, their wheels are proven to be well made, lightweight, and have excellent build choices. The big brands are building these affordable wheels but to me, they are just that affordable carbon wheels. Look at the Bontrager Pro 5 disc, over 1700g. At that point, they are just an aesthetic look and nothing more. Why even use carbon? Better off with an aluminum wheel. Zipp and Bontrager have that warranty selling their wheels. Farsports if your listening you guys need to step up your warranty game. With the big brands having the retail distribution to get the product into users hands fast, pricing, a great warranty they stand behind, and service. Farsports is and will be losing some ground.

Even with that my next wheel purchase will be from Farsports. I see their build quality on par with the big brands higher tier products. For $700ish shipped with novatec hubs, cx-ray spokes, sub 1400g, there is nothing else that comes close. I'm not big into the higher-end hubs these days. Been running farsports wheels with novatec hubs on the gravel bike for the last 2+ years, the wheels have exceeded my expectations. Never any issues with the build or the hubs, and that's after beating the hell out of them.

Now my carbon ti experience with a Farsports wheel build is still up for debate. See my thread on that. Was it the build or a bad batch of hubs?

tiz92

by tiz92

https://www.wheelsfar.com/revo-road-dis ... p0129.html

Farsports offers a new Road Disc Wheel: REVO. Looks nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ddddd1

by ddddd1

I can't really figure in what sense are those REVO rims better than Feder (maybe aerodynamics, can't judge on that), other than the manufacturing process which seems to be more automated. Weights are similar, if not a tad higher, selection of hubs is very limited, you can't choose the finishing touch. They all seem to be hooked. Width and depth options are very chaotic: 3 27ext/20in options (34,48,56mm depth), 27/21 (50) and then 30/24 (42) and 25/19 (45). Let me know if anyone knows why this random selection of dimensions was selected :lol:
Enid: Scott Addict RC Ultimate Team Ed - 7.2 kg (in. pedals and bottle cages)

RDY

by RDY

One thing that's significantly better is that the 56 is available in hooked (55mm Feder is hookless only).

Otherwise, it just seems to be heavier 'butterfly pattern' filament wound rims - because the finish with the numerous companies offering them has proved very popular. With some very expensive hubs.

I'd take Feder and RD230s over these any day, personally ... except in 55 / 56, because road hookless = deathtrap.

musiclover

by musiclover

RDY wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:39 pm
I'd take Feder and RD230s over these any day, personally ... except in 55 / 56, because road hookless = deathtrap.
I have done 5000 kms on road hookless without a single problem. What am I doing wrong?
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Hello, I asked Sandy for strongest wheel for gravel bike offroad riding, she recommend Kaze 45. I was wondering what you think of this width for offroad tires (up to 40mm tire) as the internal is only 21mm. My current is WTB i23 I think that is internal of 23mm so it would mean I am going narrower. Not sure if it I can tell the difference. I was thinking narrower rim give a more bulge shape but then it may compress and cause a pinch flat. I am going to be running tubeless however. Is it desirable to have wider rims for off road? Offroad tire end up to be so much wider than the actual rim in any case I am not sure if it all matters too much.

RDY

by RDY

musiclover wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:32 am
RDY wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:39 pm
I have done 5000 kms on road hookless without a single problem. What am I doing wrong?
Ride hard on some bad roads. And 5000km is, what, 6 months? Hardly an exhaustive study.

musiclover

by musiclover

RDY wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:53 am
Ride hard on some bad roads. And 5000km is, what, 6 months? Hardly an exhaustive study.
I use MTB for riding hard on bad roads. Average city roads by no means perfect, few potholes here and there - no problems at all.

5000k is not a lot, but after that kind of distance it is a safe bet to say that there will hardly be anything drastically different.

Also, a sidenote - 5-10 years later this conversation will be irrelevant as hooked rims will be where rim brakes are now.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

kroem

by kroem

So, I blew my Light Bicycle rim...

Any reason for NOT getting the Feder with Fars own hub? Haven't been following the thread...
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

kroem

by kroem

Is there a way to buy a RD230 XD/XDR body separately?
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

tiz92

by tiz92

Write an email to farsports. They will reply fast.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

scoobydrew wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:02 am
For those of us wondering if there will be an upcoming sale, I got a reply from Sandy at Farsports on Oct 20 who said there will be a sale (10% off) for 11-11.
The 10% sale is live at the moment! Just ordered a gravel wheelset.

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

Just pulled the trigger on my 3rd set of Farsports wheels. Ordered the Gravel FS50/30G Hookless with DT240 hubs to play around with on my Aethos. Will probably get the GP5000S TR in 28 or 30mm.

Compared to the other notable hookless wheels available:

Farsports 50/30G- Depth 50mm, internal 25mm, external 30mm, weight 1380g
ENVE SES 4.5 AR - Depth 49mm/55mm f/r, internal 25mm, external 31mm/30.5mm, weight 1550ish grams (depending on hubs)
Zipp 303s - Depth 45mm, internal 23mm, external 27mm, weight 1530g
Zipp 303 FC - Depth 40mm, internal 25mm, external 30mm, weight 1352g

The profile and weight of the FS wheels are very close to the others. Price is nice with the current 11.11 sales.

I'll report back on the ride when they are in.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

PoorCyclist wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:42 am
Hello, I asked Sandy for strongest wheel for gravel bike offroad riding, she recommend Kaze 45. I was wondering what you think of this width for offroad tires (up to 40mm tire) as the internal is only 21mm. My current is WTB i23 I think that is internal of 23mm so it would mean I am going narrower. Not sure if it I can tell the difference. I was thinking narrower rim give a more bulge shape but then it may compress and cause a pinch flat. I am going to be running tubeless however. Is it desirable to have wider rims for off road? Offroad tire end up to be so much wider than the actual rim in any case I am not sure if it all matters too much.
I have the Kaze 35 with 43c GK SK's, no issues on all terrain including some very rough stuff. I went for these as I was originally planning to use them as a road set down the track with 28-30c tyres. If I was ordering purely for gravel, I probably would have gone for the 32mm width but these have been perfect so far :thumbup:
Last edited by mogwaiboi on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

^^ Thanks for the feedback, after some thinking I ended up getting Feder 30/30 (25 inside) DT 240 to help climbing (24F/28R only avail with DT for web ordering).
If I am putting slicks it would be 32mm tires probably, big tall tires help with the low gearing getting more top speed on the road, otherwise I would just ride a road bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com