FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
isehk

by isehk

isehk wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 am
isehk wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 am
Just get the parts today.

RD230 (68.1g+158.1g=226.2g)
FSL30CM-28T-SUL x2 (no rim hole for tubless setup, 21h front and rear) (335.9g+346.6g)
Front CX-ray
Rear Left (NDS) Cx-sprint
Rear Right (DS) CX-ray
(135.6g+31.1g+38.2g+14.4g)
Total 1128g

photos are in the attachment.

I think I will build the wheels next week or before end of this month... maybe?
:D :D :D :D
Errr... Just update the status here...
I start building the rear wheel this morning and found that the spoke length are incorrect.

They send me:
Front left: 272mm, Front Right 286mm
Rear left: 274mm, Rear Right 286mm
With 14mm nipple

I can see 3~5 round of spoke thread but spoke tension already 80~90 kgf
So I confirm the Rear right are too short. :cry: :cry:
Ok update again.
New spoke arrived and I started building the wheel by myself.
Correct spoke length should be:
Front left: 278mm, Front Right 292mm
Rear left: 280mm, Rear Right 292mm
Front CX-ray
Rear Left (NDS) Cx-sprint
Rear Right (DS) CX-ray
The weight of the spoke are (135.3+32.9+39.2) :noidea: (see attachment photos). Added some weight... :noidea:

Result:
Front wheel :512.2g
Rear wheel :619.4g

Total:1131.6g

For the price, I paid around usd$775.
So I think it is cheaper? Maybe?
Attachments
IMG_20210327_163224.jpg
IMG_20210327_163023.jpg
IMG_20210327_100236.jpg
IMG_20210326_065401.jpg
IMG_20210326_065342.jpg
IMG_20210325_204557.jpg

polpy

by polpy

The first 500km done. Very pleased with them ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ELD

by ELD

New hookless rims added to the Feder lineup. Anyone ordered? Not up on the wheelsfar-site yet, just listed on farsports.com.

jeho

by jeho

stevec1975 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 pm
My wheels have been delivered.

FSD45CM-28T-SUD - 45mm Deep, 28mm Wide Rims onto Farsports RD230 Hubs with CeramicSpeed bearings, using CX-Ray Spokes (21)

Ordered 25th Feb
Shipped 19th March
Arrived UK 26th March

Weight 1,233.7 Grams - Under weight tolerance of 1240-1270g, could have been c. 30g lighter with CX-Super spokes

Front: 572.5
Rear: 661.2

Saved 304g over my current wheels (Hunt 50 Aero Disc), which is nice, waiting for other bits so won't be riding for about 3 weeks, will update with a ride report at that point.
any updates? how is this setup? Im planning to get this but havent seen much reviews on these wheels & hubs.

Uselessman001

by Uselessman001

Nice to meet you all.
I'm not very good at English, but I'd like to share with you my impressions of FARSPORTS wheels, as they don't seem to have a lot of overlapping specifications with others.

FARSPORTS FEDER DISC FAR230 Tubeless
Rim : 35mm height / "HOOKLESS" int 22 - out 28mm width / without spoke holes
Hub : RD230 Ceramic Speed bearing w HG Freebody
Spoke : Sapim CX-Ray 21H/21H

Weight : Front 506g / Rear 603g / Total 1109g (19g heavier than the claimed 1090g, but I forgive)

I tried to add the optional tubeless valve when I bought the wheels, and also add the optional SRAM XDR freebody, but they are currently out of stock and won't be available until after May (at a price of US$150).

Anyway, I ordered the wheels on the 12th of February (during their holiday!) and received them on the 17th of March, it's only been 3 weeks since then and I've only tried them out on flat roads, but so far I'm very much in love with them.

I chose Schwalbe Pro One TLE 28c tyres and it's a great experience to have the comfort of low pressure tubeless tyres with the lightness of pedalling that you would expect from wide tyres (and lots of sealant).
I have had no problems with the sealant leaking through the gap between the tyre and the rim, and of course it hasn't come off during riding so far. My fears about hookless rims are now pretty much gone, except for the problem of compatibility with the tyres.

I am not a very sensitive rider to point out the stiffness of a wheel, but I have not had any problems with the hubs, spokes or rims so far, even after sprinting and climbing with my 80+ kg weight and modest leg strength. I'm not complaining, the hubs are a bit noisy but I can live with that.

I'll be experimenting with different tyre combinations with hookless rims in the future, but I'm very happy with these wheels. I'm looking forward to the new hookless deep rims.
- Factor OSTRO VAM
- Cinelli STRATOFASTER

Aeo

by Aeo

What tyre pressure are you riding?
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

gSporco

by gSporco

@Uselessman001, wow those are some light wheels.. excellent build!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Wish they had a Berd spoke option. I think I will build a set around the Kaze 35mms when I do a disc bike

Uselessman001

by Uselessman001

Aeo wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:42 pm
What tyre pressure are you riding?
Around 60psi, according to the FARSPORTS recommendations.
- Factor OSTRO VAM
- Cinelli STRATOFASTER

wtneo

by wtneo

I was quoted USD$40 for an additional shimano freebody just a couple of months back (with email to proof), but a recent enquire quoted me USD$160 for the same part.

This is for a feder wheelset with RD230 hub. How can that be? Did I miss anything?

WT

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:02 pm
jeho wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:39 am
any more reviews on the Feder 21/21 RD230 Ultralite wheelsets?
very tempted on these due to its low weight
I've been unable to ride my set due to a clearance issue (using Sram AXS) with the 10t cog and my chainstay, currently waiting on Windy from Farsports to suggest a solution :noidea:

Cannondale have had issues with this but I've been using other wheelsets without issue with the same cassette, so seems to be related to the R230 hub.
For those interested, Windy at Farsports has been brilliant in sorting out this issue. They sent out a set of spacers to fit under the endcap which worked much more neatly than I expected, and has properly spaced the wheel. First ride tomorrow.

Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

George46GR

by George46GR

I own a pair of Farsports Feder wheels, 35 mm deep, 21mm wide, no spoke hols, with Carbon-Ti 6-bolt straight-pull hubs (Sapim CX Ray spokes). I have an issue with my cassette the last few months (Shimano Di2, 11 speed cassette). While beeing on the small chainring in the front, a shifting "problem" (slow and noisy shifting) arises when changing from the 7th to 8th gear and form the 8th to 7th gear. When I micro adjust it and slightly improve it, the problem then moves when shifting from the 11th gear to the 10th gear (when a I am on the big chainring).

When I install the SAME cassette on my DT Swiss wheel (240 hub) the problem dissapears.

I have the same issue, even with a brand new cassette. The problem appears only when the new cassette is installed on the Feder wheel, and dissapears, when installed on the DT Swiss wheel.

Thus, I suppose that a miss-alignment issue on the carbon-ti hub has arised. Could anyone please help? Thanks a lot in advance.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

polpy

by polpy

George46GR wrote:I own a pair of Farsports Feder wheels, 35 mm deep, 21mm wide, no spoke hols, with Carbon-Ti 6-bolt straight-pull hubs (Sapim CX Ray spokes). I have an issue with my cassette the last few months (Shimano Di2, 11 speed cassette). While beeing on the small chainring in the front, a shifting "problem" (slow and noisy shifting) arises when changing from the 7th to 8th gear and form the 8th to 7th gear. When I micro adjust it and slightly improve it, the problem then moves when shifting from the 11th gear to the 10th gear (when a I am on the big chainring).

When I install the SAME cassette on my DT Swiss wheel (240 hub) the problem dissapears.

I have the same issue, even with a brand new cassette. The problem appears only when the new cassette is installed on the Feder wheel, and dissapears, when installed on the DT Swiss wheel.

Thus, I suppose that a miss-alignment issue on the carbon-ti hub has arised. Could anyone please help? Thanks a lot in advance.
This is a issue that is unrelated to the rims, try getting in contact with carbon-ti.

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

George46GR wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 pm
I own a pair of Farsports Feder wheels, 35 mm deep, 21mm wide, no spoke hols, with Carbon-Ti 6-bolt straight-pull hubs (Sapim CX Ray spokes). I have an issue with my cassette the last few months (Shimano Di2, 11 speed cassette). While beeing on the small chainring in the front, a shifting "problem" (slow and noisy shifting) arises when changing from the 7th to 8th gear and form the 8th to 7th gear. When I micro adjust it and slightly improve it, the problem then moves when shifting from the 11th gear to the 10th gear (when a I am on the big chainring).

Contact me (sandy@farsports.cn) please. I'll forward you to Carbon-ti, they will help to solve the problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

George46GR

by George46GR

farsportssandy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am
George46GR wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Contact me (sandy@farsports.cn) please. I'll forward you to Carbon-ti, they will help to solve the problem.
Already done that, thanx a lot Sandy !
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice