FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ddddd1

by ddddd1

Sikter wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:15 pm
Planning on ordering Gravel 50mm depth, 30mm ext. width with 24mm ID. Would use it on a road bike in a setup with an inner tube.
Which tyre width option (GP5000) will give the best aero fit? Is 25mm tyre too risky on 24mm ID, or is the 28mm safer option? Would the 28mm blow over 30mm? Maybe 21mm ID Kaze with 28mm ext on a 25mm tyre would be better?
I have GP5000 TL on the same wheels: 28mm in the front stretched to 30,1mm, 32mm in the rear stretched to 32,6mm.

On other wheels (20int), 25mm wide 5000 TL stretched to 27mm.
Enid: Scott Addict RC Ultimate Team Ed - 7.2 kg (in. pedals and bottle cages)

asas54

by asas54

I am currently using 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR (Disc brake) model. I recently received Farsports Feder Disc with DT240 EXP hub. The rear wheel easily fitted to the bike. However, although front thru axle goes into the front wheel, I can't lock it (screw it). I tried the original wheel from the bike, and other wheels including 2021 Farsports Ventoux C4 with farsports hub. They locks in perfectly. There is no visual defect on the hub at all. Is there anyone who have experience or knows about this issue? I visited two bike shops which imports farsports wheelset with 15+ years of experience and they said that they never experienced the problem like this. Please help!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Pics?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

asas54

by asas54

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:21 am
Pics?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
Here is a youtube video of trying to lock the thru axle.

Attermann

by Attermann

It seems like you just need wiggle around with the wheel, and please don't flip your bike around, it gets sad when you do that.

asas54

by asas54

Attermann wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:47 am
It seems like you just need wiggle around with the wheel, and please don't flip your bike around, it gets sad when you do that.
I tried to wiggle at least 20 times, and it never worked.

musiclover

by musiclover

asas54 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:18 am
Attermann wrote:
What you may want to do is to push the thru axle in as you screw it in. It works in tight fits. Make sure the thru axle is smooth with no damage and too protruding writing and the thread in the drop out is good.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

asas54

by asas54

musiclover wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:45 am
asas54 wrote:
Attermann wrote:
What you may want to do is to push the thru axle in as you screw it in. It works in tight fits. Make sure the thru axle is smooth with no damage and too protruding writing and the thread in the drop out is good.
I tried to push the thru axle a bit while screwing it in, but it gets stuck very soon which means I shouldn't screw more to prevent what you mentioned. I greased the thru axle a bit and it screws no where near the end. Is there any other things to try? I also tried to put the wheel without the end cap on non disc brake side temporarily to test it and it screwed to the end easily. Is there any possibility that the end cap of the hub might be the problem?

Sikter

by Sikter

ddddd1 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:11 pm
Sikter wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:15 pm
Planning on ordering Gravel 50mm depth, 30mm ext. width with 24mm ID. Would use it on a road bike in a setup with an inner tube.
Which tyre width option (GP5000) will give the best aero fit? Is 25mm tyre too risky on 24mm ID, or is the 28mm safer option? Would the 28mm blow over 30mm? Maybe 21mm ID Kaze with 28mm ext on a 25mm tyre would be better?
I have GP5000 TL on the same wheels: 28mm in the front stretched to 30,1mm, 32mm in the rear stretched to 32,6mm.

On other wheels (20int), 25mm wide 5000 TL stretched to 27mm.
Thanks for the info. So 28mm should be fine then for the given wheels.
In general, is it safe to mount 25mm tye on a 24mm int rim?

Maddie

by Maddie

Sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling until the axle finds the thread on the fork. But still, try to install the wheel on a different fork to rule out there's an issue with the hub.
Bit disappointing to hear that both bike shops probably didn't put much effort into finding out why they weren't able to install the wheel.

musiclover

by musiclover

asas54 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:57 am
musiclover wrote:
asas54 wrote:
Attermann wrote:
I tried to push the thru axle a bit while screwing it in, but it gets stuck very soon which means I shouldn't screw more to prevent what you mentioned. I greased the thru axle a bit and it screws no where near the end. Is there any other things to try? I also tried to put the wheel without the end cap on non disc brake side temporarily to test it and it screwed to the end easily. Is there any possibility that the end cap of the hub might be the problem?
Sounds like it starts engaging with the thread, but the thread is wrong pitch!
However, this does not explain why it works in some wheelsets and not the others.
Install the thru axle without the wheel in bicycle and then push the thru axle through the wheel outside of the bike. This may help with troubleshooting.

johanalexander

by johanalexander

musiclover wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:10 am
asas54 wrote:
musiclover wrote:
asas54 wrote:

However, this does not explain why it works in some wheelsets and not the others.
Install the thru axle without the wheel in bicycle and then push the thru axle through the wheel outside of the bike. This may help with troubleshooting.
Tight end caps?
Eating trash'n riding fast

musiclover

by musiclover

The test with fitting the axle through outside of the bike will reveal that

asas54

by asas54

musiclover wrote:
asas54 wrote:
musiclover wrote:
asas54 wrote:

I didn't get 100% what you are trying to say but if you are talking about trying to screw thru axle on the fork without installing the wheel, I tried and it works perfectly fine. If you are also talking about pushing thru axle through the wheel without installing the wheel on the fork, the thru axle goes into the hub perfectly fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asas54

by asas54

johanalexander wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am
musiclover wrote:
asas54 wrote:
musiclover wrote:

Tight end caps?
If you are talking about fitting end caps perfectly on the hub, yes I double checked whether the end caps are loose but they are tight and can't be pushed further.