FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
vongarces

by vongarces

Yurialessandro wrote:
vongarces wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:37 pm
Yes RD230 is a screaming deal for weight weenies. I’ve had mine for 2+ years. It’s been bullet proof and I’m 90 kgs. Love em so much I’m planning to build another wheelset around it with BERD spokes and LB AR465 rims. One of my requirements on choosing this hub was its ability to upgrade to NTN bearings (I’m buying through Hambini) when I rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear RD230 Review from you sir. have you encountered any unbalanced or unstable hub during your experience with RD230? May i know the milleage? I'm considering between RD230 and DT240.
Thank you
Rd230 hubs have been flawless. No issues w the 21 spoke count. Have 15k km into them now. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again.

vongarces

by vongarces

Yurialessandro wrote:
vongarces wrote:
Yes RD230 is a screaming deal for weight weenies. I’ve had mine for 2+ years. It’s been bullet proof and I’m 90 kgs. Love em so much I’m planning to build another wheelset around it with BERD spokes and LB AR465 rims. One of my requirements on choosing this hub was its ability to upgrade to NTN bearings (I’m buying through Hambini) when I rebuild.

Good to hear RD230 Review from you sir. have you encountered any unbalanced or unstable hub during your experience with RD230? May i know the milleage? I'm considering between RD230 and DT240.
Thank you
RD230 hubs have been flawless. No issues w the 21 spoke count and my friends can’t stand my lack of maintenance on my bikes. Have 15k km into them. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vongarces

by vongarces

Yurialessandro wrote:
vongarces wrote:

Thank you
RD230 hubs have been flawless. No issues w the 21 spoke count and my friends can’t stand my lack of maintenance on my bikes. Have 15k km into them. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again.

vongarces

by vongarces

Yurialessandro wrote:
vongarces wrote:

Thank you

joeminglin

by joeminglin

Ordered an off menu wheelset (Feder 45mm/28mm hooked with Bitex 312 hubs, 24H, CX-Ray) on Apr 28 and got them today in NYC (14-days). Price was $799USD. Was told the wheelset weight would be 1340, mine came in at 1343. I did ask for them to pick the lightest rims available. Also asked for hubs with no logo, originally told this was not available but I got no logos which is what I wanted.

Build looks solid but I checked wheel dish and spoke tension and it needs some touching up. Front wheel dish is perfect but the tension on a handful of spokes are too high/low ranging from 110kgf+ to 50kgf. Rear wheel dish needs to be pulled 1mm to the drive side and only a few spokes that are too high/low. Would I ride the wheels as is? Yes, but I'll spend the 30 minutes to get them as perfect as I can cause I have the tools.

I thought about the RD230 wheelset but at 80kg+, I dont feel comfortable on 21 spokes (I've broken enough spokes and hit enough potholes at 20+mph to err on the side of caution). RD230 and Cx-super spokes bump the price up to $1200/1210grams while cx-ray are $969/1250grams. I'm happy paying $800 for a 1340gram wheelset with 24H at 45mm deep. Bitex hubs roll really nice, are easy to work on and are not super loud. The set I have on my FSE wheels feel like there is less drag than my DT240 and I9 Torch wheels.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

joeminglin wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 pm
Ordered an off menu wheelset (Feder 45mm/28mm hooked with Bitex 312 hubs, 24H, CX-Ray) on Apr 28 and got them today in NYC (14-days). Price was $799USD. Was told the wheelset weight would be 1340, mine came in at 1343. I did ask for them to pick the lightest rims available. Also asked for hubs with no logo, originally told this was not available but I got no logos which is what I wanted.

Build looks solid but I checked wheel dish and spoke tension and it needs some touching up. Front wheel dish is perfect but the tension on a handful of spokes are too high/low ranging from 110kgf+ to 50kgf. Rear wheel dish needs to be pulled 1mm to the drive side and only a few spokes that are too high/low. Would I ride the wheels as is? Yes, but I'll spend the 30 minutes to get them as perfect as I can cause I have the tools.

I thought about the RD230 wheelset but at 80kg+, I dont feel comfortable on 21 spokes (I've broken enough spokes and hit enough potholes at 20+mph to err on the side of caution). RD230 and Cx-super spokes bump the price up to $1200/1210grams while cx-ray are $969/1250grams. I'm happy paying $800 for a 1340gram wheelset with 24H at 45mm deep. Bitex hubs roll really nice, are easy to work on and are not super loud. The set I have on my FSE wheels feel like there is less drag than my DT240 and I9 Torch wheels.
I noticed the same on my set stroking and listening to the spokes. I am thinking they are going for most true rather than most even tension. (Trueness is what most people check or can check).

I didn't have the means to adjust mine, I think it did proceed to go out of true a little after use.

tiz92

by tiz92

joeminglin wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 pm

How stiff are they? I am getting a similar wheelset. 45mm 28 mm wide front feder with 50 mm 26 mm wide rear fededer (I am 63 kg and suffer wind) with Bitex 312 hubs. Should be around 1380gr.

ps. I already have a 40 mm 26 wide set with rd230 hubs (1215gr) and am super happy with them.

vinc

by vinc

joeminglin wrote:...Rear wheel dish needs to be pulled 1mm to the drive side….
Hi, I have the same with my Kaze 50 discs. At first I didn’t notice it but the rear wheel isn’t exactly centered. It may be 1-2 mm of the drive side. How did you manage to get them centered yet?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

TLN

by TLN

tmanley wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:44 pm
madspalme wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:47 pm
Hi guys

I currently run the kaze 58 with dt swiss 240 (SP 24F/24R) but consider getting a 50mm set with the rd230 (probably the gravel hookless rim). However, i am concerned the 21F/21R spokes are too few for me.

I am 190, 87kg and can do sprint on my own of up to about 52km/t. I will be taking the wheels to alpes as well this summer, however they will be used on the flat roads in denmark.

Is this too risky? Sandy wrote they can change the cx rays with cx-sprint which should be more solid.
There are very limited reviews from heavier riders with this hub / spoke count
I'm just a bit bigger than you (207cm, 94kg) and I've had some offline conversations with a few of the larger riders on these wheels. From their feedback, and what I've learned from my email dialogue with Farsports, you can go with a 28h option with the DT240 hub. They don't have any other hub options in stock right now with 28h. I'm giving serious consideration to a 24/28 build on the DT240's, but now trying to determine which depth I want and whether or not I want hooked or hookless. I've been running some Enve 4.5AR's (which are hookless) without any problems so I'm leaning toward another hookless wheelset.
Another heavy rider here.
Quite curious,what made you switch from Enve wheels, if you mind me asking?
I got 3T wheelset on hand, that I haven't even set up yet. Reading some comments here, and thinking if I should go with deeper wheelset with 28h instead.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

tmanley

by tmanley

Haven't switched - just exploring my options. But really like what I've learned so far from folks here in the thread and what Farsport has said.

Jian81

by Jian81

Jian81 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:31 am
Hi guys im interested in geting the Farsports Feder 45mm wheelset. Was about to pull the trigger on the RD230 model but was told by Emma that theres a lighter option with the Extralite Hubs (24/24H) option and CX RAY super spokes. Claimed weight of 1035g.

The rd230 at 45mm is 1210g.

Is anyone aware of this option? Its not offered on the website apparently.
Emma replied and informed that it was a clerical error, it was suppose to be 1235g instead.

Decided to go with the Extralite hub in the end regardless due to the higher spoke count of 24 compared to 21 on the RD230. Have yet to receive the wheels but they have sent me pictures of the wheels. They came in at an impressive weight of 1216g, these are with CX RAY Super Spokes.

Cant wait to test the wheels when it arrives!

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I want to true my farsport front wheel myself, it's a bit out of true and the non-disc side have some spoke that sound too low.
I got the tools but have not tried to DIY this. I have a some round spoke, 32H wheels to practice on first.

What's more important, tension up the low tension spokes or get it trued first? Or will these goals converge together assuming the rim is straight?

rothwem

by rothwem

Not to disrespect your tuning ear, but the "low sounding" spoke method doesn't tend to work great. Just get the wheel trued up and don't worry that much about the tension. You shouldn't be making huge adjustments, ie, more than a quarter/half a turn.

In my experience, trying to set even tension is more important for vertical true than lateral true.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Thanks, I just got a cheap tension meter so I have some reference to the neighbor spokes before I start.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeminglin

by joeminglin

tiz92 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:53 am
How stiff are they? I am getting a similar wheelset. 45mm 28 mm wide front feder with 50 mm 26 mm wide rear fededer (I am 63 kg and suffer wind) with Bitex 312 hubs. Should be around 1380gr.

ps. I already have a 40 mm 26 wide set with rd230 hubs (1215gr) and am super happy with them.
Stiffness is good for me at 80kg. Feels a little less stiff than deeper wheels (Enve 5.6) but stiffer than my FSE 35mm wheels.