FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
disq

by disq

Aesch wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:01 pm
disq wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:06 pm
edit: Looks like the CenterLock rotor is moving back and forth slightly and that's what causes the noise (CL splines hitting each other) and play. Still not sure how that would be possible though. Will try with another rotor to check.
I had exactly the same on a pair of wheels, torque up your disc rotors to 40nm and probably it will be over.
UPDATE: Popped on a pair of Dura Ace rotors, no play whatsoever, leaving them on it was a pleasant ride (and 2x30g lighter too) so I'll leave them on and seek RMA options with SRAM.

Aesch

by Aesch

disq wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:47 pm
Aesch wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:01 pm
disq wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:06 pm
edit: Looks like the CenterLock rotor is moving back and forth slightly and that's what causes the noise (CL splines hitting each other) and play. Still not sure how that would be possible though. Will try with another rotor to check.
I had exactly the same on a pair of wheels, torque up your disc rotors to 40nm and probably it will be over.
UPDATE: Popped on a pair of Dura Ace rotors, no play whatsoever, leaving them on it was a pleasant ride (and 2x30g lighter too) so I'll leave them on and seek RMA options with SRAM.
Nice :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stickybidon

by stickybidon

KebabKillah wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:00 pm
stickybidon wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:00 am
Pics :D

Please forgive the long valves, I got 60mm for no good reason!
Nice wheels!
This is the 70% UD satin finish?
Thank you! It's listed as UD matte, although they have more shine than I was expecting.

First ride with them yesterday and no complaints, felt nice and snappy. The 54T has almost instant engagement which should be good on any technical trails.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL - Ultegra Di2 R8050 - HED Belgium + / WI T11
Focus Cayo - Ultegra 6800 / R8000 - DT Swiss PR 1600 Spline
Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 - GRX - Farsports Kaze 35 / DT350
Bowman Palace:R - 105 R7000- Hunt 4 Season Aero

Indyx

by Indyx

Hi all,

Quesiton for anyone using Carbon Ti Hubs Disc specific.

I have 2 pairs of Carbon Ti Feder Disc. I noticed since the beginning both will sometimes "clunk" on the rear hub. It almost feels like one of the pawls (there are 4) are engaing last, and clunking into place. Both are doing this. The one I ride more often is doing it less and less. (2x maybe per 100 miles). Usually right before high torque pedaling after coasting.

I had a pair of Rim Hubs in the past and they did not do this. Also have a friend that has rim version and does not experience this.

Anyone else have this experience and have any feedback?

Thanks!

y2kshock

by y2kshock

Indyx wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Hi all,

Quesiton for anyone using Carbon Ti Hubs Disc specific.

I have 2 pairs of Carbon Ti Feder Disc. I noticed since the beginning both will sometimes "clunk" on the rear hub. It almost feels like one of the pawls (there are 4) are engaing last, and clunking into place. Both are doing this. The one I ride more often is doing it less and less. (2x maybe per 100 miles). Usually right before high torque pedaling after coasting.

I had a pair of Rim Hubs in the past and they did not do this. Also have a friend that has rim version and does not experience this.

Anyone else have this experience and have any feedback?

Thanks!

Remove freehubs, clean and apply a lot of grease. Most pawl and ratchet noises are solved in this way.
It happens often, but there is nothing to worry about. I think it happens more often when it's new.

Maddie

by Maddie

@Indyx, I had a very distinctive metallic clonk sound coming from the rear hub when applying power after coasting. Not Carbon-ti but RD230 though. In my attempt to reduce the freehub noise, I probably added a bit too much sticky grease. I then degreased everything and went for Dumonde freehub grease which is a light grease. Clonking gone

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

Wheels arrived yesterday. This is the 70% UD Matte Satin Finish. Wheelset model is the Feder 35/28 with DT Swiss 240 EXP hub. Weight is 10g below spec, well within listed tolerances. In case anyone is curious about the optional valves, they seem to be black aluminum, and light at 9 grams/pair. The valve base is the tapered cone style.

The satin finish is a bit reflective and shiny, like a black pearlescent appearance. If it's not well represented in the pictures, I think it looks great in person. It would be a great match for anyone with a pearlescent, metallic, metal flake or oil slick type paint on their frames.

Production and delivery was very fast. Ordered on August 4th and received yesterday, just under two weeks total.
Attachments
Wheels.jpg
wheels2.jpg

fdawg

by fdawg

So I wanted to give my front wheel a bit of a true, it's an 8 month old 45 mm Farsports Feder with Sapim CX Ray bladed spokes and alloy Sapim Sils nipples. It's taken a couple of knocks from potholes recently, plus it was a little bit out of true when I got it. My understanding is that Sils nipples aren't meant to have any problem with seizing, however, it seems that the spokes are completely seized in the nipples.

I am going to try replacing one of the spokes that seems particularly problematic, as it is the location of the biggest wobble and I had completely twisted the spoke around before I noticed it was seized. My candidate replacement is a Pillar bladed spoke and brass nipple. Would it be a crime to do this? It's going to be tricky without rim bed holes.

chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

fdawg wrote: and I had completely twisted the spoke around before I noticed it was seized.
Are you using a spoke holder???

fdawg

by fdawg

chuingbeans wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:00 am
fdawg wrote: and I had completely twisted the spoke around before I noticed it was seized.
Are you using a spoke holder???
Yes I am using a SuperB spoke holder, 0.9mm. I hold the spoke as close to the nipple as I can get with the spoke wrench in place. I've also put some WD40 on the nipples and left them overnight - I'm sure there's better substances I could use for that though.

tjetil

by tjetil

I just got my first pair of Farsports delivered, Feder 45 mm with RD230 hub, and first impression are good with build build quality etc. I thing that I havent seen on other wheels before is that the hubs dont have any "dust cap" or what it can be called. I checked with Farsports (Sandy) and they confirmed that there shouldnt be any but for me it feels strange to have the bearings open for dirt/water.

See pic of wheels.
Attachments
Picture of wheel
Picture of wheel

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Not deeded with ceramic bearing, if I remember.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Bearings have seals so don’t worry, many manufacturers just make there endcaps cover the entire bearing, this creates an additional seal, good for mtb’s, on road bikes it doesn’t matter that much

polpy

by polpy

tjetil wrote:I just got my first pair of Farsports delivered, Feder 45 mm with RD230 hub, and first impression are good with build build quality etc. I thing that I havent seen on other wheels before is that the hubs dont have any "dust cap" or what it can be called. I checked with Farsports (Sandy) and they confirmed that there shouldnt be any but for me it feels strange to have the bearings open for dirt/water.

See pic of wheels.
Its not good for durability. Even farsport is only cooking with water, some sacrifices need to be made for being light.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

shitty design for these hubs
lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com