FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ddddd1

by ddddd1

40mm-50mm is ideal depth - wind does almost nothing to the wheels and they still tend to be very light.
Enid: Scott Addict RC Ultimate Team Ed - 7.2 kg (in. pedals and bottle cages)

polpy

by polpy

hmof wrote:I haven't had deep rims in ages (apart from 60mm for crit racing years ago). How are 45mm rims for every day riding? I don't want to be fighting too badly in the wind.
Got the feder 35 deep, 28 wide with 25mm veloflex corsa and i have exactly 0 issues with wind.

Hunt 50 Aero are terrible compared against the Feder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Just took delivery of some Feder 35 that I had the custom build with Bitex hubs; 1291g for the pair. Extremely shocked by that build.

I have another set of Kaze 58s with Carbon-Ti hubs that are a bit to handle in crosswinds at my 68kg so these are meant to fill that hole. I went with Bitex because I honestly just like them. Cheap and light, but I honestly didn't expect the build to end up this light.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

fizzaz wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:37 pm
Just took delivery of some Feder 35 that I had the custom build with Bitex hubs; 1291g for the pair. Extremely shocked by that build.
Which bitex hubs?

fizzaz

by fizzaz

BitexBX312r centerlock. Good so far

card0s

by card0s

I was inclined to order a Feder 45 wheelset with FAR R230 hubs but I wanted the rims to be a bit wider so I could use bigger tyres and still "comply" with the 105% rule.
That's when I found their gravel rims. I contacted Farsports and ordered their gravel rims (FS50/30GH-700C - Hooked gravel) - 50mm deep, 30mm external, 24mm internal, which will be mounted with their FAR D230 hubs with steel bearings and Sapim cx-ray spokes.

I want to mount the wheels with tubeless tyres, but I am a total noob with regards to that, it would be my first time doing it.
So, I was wondering what would the ideal tubeless valves be and what length should they be?

snaxez

by snaxez

60mm valve should be ok on 45mm rims. I picked orange seal valves, but most 60 or longer valves will be fine.

johnoko

by johnoko

robbosmans wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:35 am
No hookless is tubeless only
But you can use tube for emergency issues, am I right?

MattMay

by MattMay

Just keep the pressure low to get home and you should be fine if your sealant or plugs don’t work.

polpy

by polpy

You can, safely, run tubes on hookless rims. But it must be a tubeless tire, which is "safe" on hookless rims. Best example is GP5000TL which is not "safe" on hookless, but Schwalbe Pro One TLR is. Max. pressure of the wheelset is still there, so in most case above 5bar is a big nono.

Pablojose87

by Pablojose87

Just got in my feder wheels a few weeks ago. Many posts here talk about why people have ordered certain wheels and how they look upon initial inspection; there is not much content on feder disc wheel performance. I have put hundreds of miles on these wheels in the wheeks I've had them and got to say: I like them.

I wanted a climbing wheelset as I already have a deep dish aero wheelset and all-arounder wheelset. Being lightweight, strong, and stiff was my vision. I ordered two different size wheels:

FRONT WHEEL (35cm)
CARBON TI centerlock disc hub
FSD35CM-28T- SUD (hooked)
UD matte; no hole; Sapim CX Ray spokes; black alloy nipples

REAR WHEEL (45cm)
CARBON TI centerlock disc hub (11S Shimano)
FSD45CM-28T- SUD (hooked)

I chose a more shallow front wheel to maximize the lightness and crosswind resistance while being just deep enough for marginal aero gains. I chose a slightly deeper rear wheel to maximize stiffness in sprinting and climbing. I wanted the wide 28 rim for more wheel stiffness and for my Gp5000 TL 25c tires. The the tires measure 27mm wide on these rims which sits near exact flush.
The Sapim spokes were nearly identical in tension and the rims were true out of the box.
I chose the carbon ti hubs based on reviews in this forum. They are light, easy to service, nearly the same weight as DT Swiss 180, but much more affordable.

Ordering from Sandy was great. She is really responsive and easy to work with. The wheels got to me in about 35 days from the order.

Now the wheel performance:
I've been I long time lurker of this forum and have had my eye of ordering farsports wheel for quite a while. The only question I had that prevented me from ordering an extraordinarily light disc wheelset was "is this wheelset too light to perform well under a high load?"

The answer is they are very light and still perform very well. In fact they are nearly 20g lighter than what the website quoted they would be. It's really impressive. I have taken them out in nearly every condition in the last few weeks because the DC area in the Springtime has just about everything you can throw at a wheelset for testing. 40 to 80 degrees temps, extreme wind, lots of rain, smooth tarmac to pothole ridden roads. I feel like I put them through the wringer in a short time. I've taken these wheel on flat Crit style racing, punchy hill races, and all day mountain summit climbing.
On the flats, they are not as fast as my deep dish wheels, but I wouldn't expect them to be. They spin up to speed well and don't feel like there is flex under stress. I can't say I they accelerate faster than my deeper wheelset, but they definitely were not slower either. One day there was 20mph winds and the wheel didn't seem to be phased by it in the crosswind. It was really impressive. On the really punchy stuff I feel like the weight savings also saved be a little energy when consistently speeding up and slowing down when reacting to attacks. That's completely subjective feeling about the wheelset but when you're pushing yourself to the limit, any additional help is welcome.
I was finally able to take them out to the mountains and do some proper climbs. While they only saved me 300g from my ENVE SES 5.6 Disc wheels, I'll take any weight saving I can get after 20+ minutes of consistent climbing at threshold. Taken tight turns at 40+moh on descents the wheels were right at home. They decelerated really well on hairpin turns and sped back up to speed without a sweat. I have gotten stronger over the past year, but my ride on these was able to put some PRs and high ranking efforts on Strava.

Long story short - I didn't believe they would perform for being so light and affordable, they were lighter than expected, and they are not slow.

Not sure how helpful that was to anyone. I felt like I was rolling the dice on this wheelset and wanted to assure otjer prospective customers that you are not taking any risks here. They are quality. Cheers.
20210504_205926.jpg

gSporco

by gSporco

Pablojose87 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 am
Just got in my feder wheels a few weeks ago. Many posts here talk about why people have ordered certain wheels and how they look upon initial inspection; there is not much content on feder disc wheel performance. I have put hundreds of miles on these wheels in the wheeks I've had them and got to say: I like them.

I wanted a climbing wheelset as I already have a deep dish aero wheelset and all-arounder wheelset. Being lightweight, strong, and stiff was my vision. I ordered two different size wheels:

FRONT WHEEL (35cm)
CARBON TI centerlock disc hub
FSD35CM-28T- SUD (hooked)

REAR WHEEL (45cm)
CARBON TI centerlock disc hub (11S Shimano)
FSD45CM-28T- SUD (hooked)

I chose a more shallow front wheel to maximize the lightness and crosswind resistance while being just deep enough for marginal aero gains. I chose a slightly deeper rear wheel to maximize stiffness in sprinting and climbing. I wanted the wide 28 rim for more wheel stiffness and for my Gp5000 TL 25c tires. The the tires measure 27mm wide on these rims which sits near exact flush.
The Sapim spokes were nearly identical in tension and the rims were true out of the box.
I chose the carbon ti hubs based on reviews in this forum. They are light, easy to service, nearly the same weight as DT Swiss 180, but much more affordable.

Ordering from Sandy was great. She is really responsive and easy to work with. The wheels got to me in about 35 days from the order.

Now the wheel performance:
I've been I long time lurker of this forum and have had my eye of ordering farsports wheel for quite a while. The only question I had that prevented me from ordering an extraordinarily light disc wheelset was "is this wheelset too light to perform well under a high load?"

The answer is they are very light and still perform very well. In fact they are nearly 20g lighter than what the website quoted they would be. It's really impressive. I have taken them out in nearly every condition in the last few weeks because the DC area in the Springtime has just about everything you can throw at a wheelset for testing. 40 to 80 degrees temps, extreme wind, lots of rain, smooth tarmac to pothole ridden roads. I feel like I put them through the wringer in a short time. I've taken these wheel on flat Crit style racing, punchy hill races, and all day mountain summit climbing.
On the flats, they are not as fast as my deep dish wheels, but I wouldn't expect them to be. They spin up to speed well and don't feel like there is flex under stress. I can't say I they accelerate faster than my deeper wheelset, but they definitely were not slower either. One day there was 20mph winds and the wheel didn't seem to be phased by it in the crosswind. It was really impressive. On the really punchy stuff I feel like the weight savings also saved be a little energy when consistently speeding up and slowing down when reacting to attacks. That's completely subjective feeling about the wheelset but when you're pushing yourself to the limit, any additional help is welcome.
I was finally able to take them out to the mountains and do some proper climbs. While they only saved me 300g from my ENVE SES 5.6 Disc wheels, I'll take any weight saving I can get after 20+ minutes of consistent climbing at threshold. Taken tight turns at 40+moh on descents the wheels were right at home. They decelerated really well on hairpin turns and sped back up to speed without a sweat. I have gotten stronger over the past year, but my ride on these was able to put some PRs and high ranking efforts on Strava.

Long story short - I didn't believe they would perform for being so light and affordable, they were lighter than expected, and they are not slow.

Not sure how helpful that was to anyone. I felt like I was rolling the dice on this wheelset and wanted to assure otjer prospective customers that you are not taking any risks here. They are quality. Cheers.

20210504_205926.jpg
Thats an excellent review. I can vouch for the crazy wind. I live in Baltimore and this spohas been brutal. I thought I lost fitness, but realized pedaling into 15mph and dealing with 20mph gust will kill tour time and increase your efforts.

Your wheel purchase definitely makes me rethink my Zipp 303 FS customs with DT240s. I could have gotten nearly 2 sets of Farsports wheels for the price I paid 🥲.

The excellent quality and choice of hubs seems to make Farsports a no brainer
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

michael432000

by michael432000

Anyone in the UK purchased? How did you pay considering quote is in USD currency. I’ve no idea how PayPal handles the conversion.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

michael432000 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:12 pm
Anyone in the UK purchased? How did you pay considering quote is in USD currency. I’ve no idea how PayPal handles the conversion.
You can change the currency in the top right hand corner of the website, I paid in GBP for my wheelset around a week ago via PayPal :)

Aesch

by Aesch

don't use paypal but your own CC (paypal offers this in the payment process), difference for me was 3% in conversion to Euro's. free money..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com