recomendations for a lightweight tubular wheelset (budget £1000)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dim

by dim

Hi guys .... I need some guidance again

I'm looking for a lightweight tubular wheelset that I will use for shorter quality fast rides with a bit of climbing. These wil be used on my Trek Emonda SL6

my budget will be £1000 and I will buy the main components (rims, hubs) over a 2month period, and have my LBS build them with the appropriate spokes on the 3rd month (I have to do it this way or else my wife spends my money on groceries (I struggle to save money) :(

I don't have a clue what to look for, as this will be my 1st tub wheelset ... I also need suggestions for decent fast tyres that won't puncture on every ride

I know that this most probably has been discussed many times on this forum, but I'd like some help as there are many new rims just released
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Imaking20

by Imaking20

FSE rims and Carbon-Ti hubs. My 35mm wheels are 1091g with a mix of Sapim Laser (I think) and Sapim Race on the NDS. This also came in within your price range when I had them built up by Fairwheel bikes. Fantastic wheels.

As for tires - choose your color of Veloflex.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

Imaking20 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:07 am
FSE rims and Carbon-Ti hubs. My 35mm wheels are 1091g with a mix of Sapim Laser (I think) and Sapim Race on the NDS. This also came in within your price range when I had them built up by Fairwheel bikes. Fantastic wheels.

thanks for that .... I will have a close look :thumbup:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I gave a tubular set built up with carbon Ti hubs. To give you an idea they are 50mm deep 23.8mm wide at there widest point and weigh 1170g.

If not the above wheels then carbon Ti hubs on rims that you like.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Last edited by nachetetm on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Etienne

by Etienne

nachetetm wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:49 am
Not the time to recommend open tubulars with carbon rims after the ENVE-Vittoria issue :-) At least until the dust settles and we have a better understanding if all the carbon clinchers are not safe with open tubulars or is just an ENVE thing. Veloflex has always specified than its tires shouldn't be used on carbon rims, I would take this seriously.
[/quote]

The OP is looking for tubular wheels ... so no problem with Veloflex tires on carbon rims :wink:

nachetetm

by nachetetm

I didn't realize the OP was asking for tubular wheelset. My fault!!

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Check out wheelsfar.com . Farsports wheelset 25x 23mm wide rim . 870g with extralite hubs. USD1258

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com