Use skewers without the concave washers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I have a pair of Kcnc Ti skewers. They are about a year old. Recently the washer on the rear skewer (in between the lever and the piece that sits against the bike dropout) has split in half and fallen off. It feels like it’s made of plastic.

The skewer still clamps on fine, but it seems like there will be a lot more wear on the lever and the mounting piece with this washer (or bushing?) not there.

Does anyone run their skewers without these pieces, or is there a place to get new ones?
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

JerryLook wrote:I have a pair of Kcnc Ti skewers. They are about a year old. Recently the washer on the rear skewer (in between the lever and the piece that sits against the bike dropout) has split in half and fallen off. It feels like it’s made of plastic.

The skewer still clamps on fine, but it seems like there will be a lot more wear on the lever and the mounting piece with this washer (or bushing?) not there.

Does anyone run their skewers without these pieces, or is there a place to get new ones?
The place to most easily get a new one is your old skewers sitting in a drawer.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I thought that too, but the old ones have one molded piece, with the curved washer part molded onto the piece that sits against the drop out.
They are also a lot thicker than the Kcnc skewers, with those being my only weight weenie skewers.

There has to be some kind of curved washer I can use that is for another application. I would prefer aluminum or brass for better longevity.
I only take my wheels off once a week to clean the bike, so the skewers are not being opened and closed too frequently
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

AJS914

by AJS914

I will only buy skewers with all metal construction. They feel more solid and precise. No plastic for me.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I contacted Kcnc to see about getting some new washers. Seems pretty crappy to get less than a year out a pair of decent brand skewers

I’ll probably just give up on those skewers if I can’t get new washers. I rode on them last night, but don’t feel comfortable opening and closing them a bunch with the metal to metal contact.

I’m going to get some of the bolt on skewers that don’t have the QR handle. Seems like there are less parts to fail on those.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had a skewer slip on a mountain bike and it turned into a nasty crash so I'm hesitant with super weight weenie solutions. That said, I've had good luck with Zipp Ti aero skewers. I figure that at least they are backed by a large company (Zipp / SRAM). Note that they have a brass cam instead of the plastic cam you see on cheaper skewers.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

How much do your Zipp skewers weigh for the pair? The current ones I see for sale are around 56 grams for the pair. It’s not much more than the 44 grams of my Kcnc.
Probably worth it for the brass cam
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yeah the old kcnc werw brass. Not sure why they switched to plastic but i have broken 2 sets of washers. Stupid design
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;