Cheapest TT rim brake rear disc wheel?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

5DII

by 5DII

Open to any suggestions, including chinese wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I bought one for around 300usd but I live in China. They are dropping in price however. You certainly don't have to pay 1000usd for one.

Mine is a boat anchor at 1450gr (clincher) and only 23mm wide but works for me as I have a climbing/race/tt bike and I'm lightweight. If you're doing even the slightest amount of climbing an 88mm wheelset would be faster than a lighter disc wheel anyway.

The wheel runs nice and true and I haven't experienced any issues with it.

I'd look for a 25mm wide one though, or possibly even 28mm if you intend to ride on less than ideal road surfaces and/or weigh 85+kg.

25mm would be the more common width as disc wheels are for better roads more or less exclusively so I'd imagine it hard to find a wide one.

Because chinese riders weigh less on average they don't need the same width as average westeners do. Thats why maybe the sweetest choice price/performance is often a bit too narrow.

If you don't have an 88mm wheelset yet I recommend you to pick that over the disc wheel. The speed difference is like 10% from the benefit of a new helmet and the price very high. The 88s can stay on the bike for many courses and are less troublesome to inflate and so on, can be trued. I'm happy to own both but if I had to choose one I'd pick the 88s.

davidalone

by davidalone

If you want one with an actual brand and QC behind it, you won't come much cheaper than ron wheels. It's a polish brand, and the wheels can be had for around 400 usd. Excellent customer service from them, would not hesitate to buy again. Finishing isn't the best and there are lighter wheels out there but it is good value for the money.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Your absolute cheapest option (at least in the US) is to go with your existing wheels and add an Aerojacket cover from Wheelbuilders. I race a couple of TT's/year, and couldn't justify the cost of a wheel for just those purposes, so I use the cover on my 404's. It's $100 and adds 400g to the rear wheel.

otoman

by otoman

FLO makes a very reasonable disc. I’ve used one for a couple years now. It’s essentially a permanently installed Aero Jacket as described above. I had one of this aero jacket set ups for years and found the process of installation and removal tedious.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How much slower is an aero jacket wheel compared to a flat side carbon disc?

The carbon disc wheels are very narrow even at the hub. The jacket design will be quite a bit wider there and along the radius (because of the spokes).

I could see a demand for jacket wheels if the carbon ones were 1000usd which they were in the past. They should be a lot cheaper now so jackets should see decreasing demand.

cajer

by cajer

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:17 am
I bought one for around 300usd but I live in China. They are dropping in price however. You certainly don't have to pay 1000usd for one.

Mine is a boat anchor at 1450gr (clincher) and only 23mm wide but works for me as I have a climbing/race/tt bike and I'm lightweight. If you're doing even the slightest amount of climbing an 88mm wheelset would be faster than a lighter disc wheel anyway.

The wheel runs nice and true and I haven't experienced any issues with it.

I'd look for a 25mm wide one though, or possibly even 28mm if you intend to ride on less than ideal road surfaces and/or weigh 85+kg.

25mm would be the more common width as disc wheels are for better roads more or less exclusively so I'd imagine it hard to find a wide one.

Because chinese riders weigh less on average they don't need the same width as average westeners do. Thats why maybe the sweetest choice price/performance is often a bit too narrow.

If you don't have an 88mm wheelset yet I recommend you to pick that over the disc wheel. The speed difference is like 10% from the benefit of a new helmet and the price very high. The 88s can stay on the bike for many courses and are less troublesome to inflate and so on, can be trued. I'm happy to own both but if I had to choose one I'd pick the 88s.
Where did you get one for $300? I go to China regularly for business and I can take an extra checked bag home. Would love to bring a disc wheel home with me!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Xiamen sellers on taobao/xianyu

I didn't have time to find the cheapest but this is 5k cny as a set and 3k for the rear wheel.

There is some leanway for negotiation.

Xiamen wheels work fine for common asian rider weights 50-75kg. If you're a lot over maybe stick to disc wheels only and no chinese trispokes. Common sense..
Attachments
1553071886602.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Lots of used discs for sale. Look for the triathlon forums and classifieds.
I bought a great condition Zipp 900 wheel for $300.
Louis :)