C02 versus mini pump

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

I've never used a CO2 pump, what's the opinion on these? I'm not racing.

- How many charges to 90psi (or so) can you get with the C02?
- Is the weight of the CO2 pump much less than a mini pump?
- Assume you can't see the pressure your CO2 is going to (there is no guage), does this matter?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers!

AJS914

by AJS914

Personally I use a 95 gram Lezyne Road Drive mini pump. The weight is less than carrying two CO2 cartridges and an inflator but I can inflate tires forever. The extra minute it takes me is not a problem.

CO2 carts are basically single use only. You just set the pressure by feel just as you do with a mini pump.

I think the chief benefit of CO2 is speed. If you were running tubeless you could probably plug a larger hole and then inflate with CO2 in a minute with practice. Mountain bike racers strap the stuff to their bars and practice speed repairs. If you are running tubes most of your time is removing the wheel and swapping the tube anyway. Like I said, another minute or two for me to pump up the tire is not a big deal.

And, I have had three flats on a ride before. With an extra tube, a patch kit, and some stick on speed patches I could get 10 or 15 flats and still get myself home. If you carried three CO2 carts and an inflator you'd be way above the weight of a mini pump.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

CO2's are dirt cheap and they're small.

Since switching to tubeless I rarely get flats.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Light minipumps are lighter than co2.

I use a cheap minipump that's 45gr, works fine as long as you know how to use it (singlehanded).

There was a kickstarter project that was selling a ~25gr minipump if my memory serves.

Co2 is about speed, not weight. The co2 leaks out of the tire faster than air so it's not that great to use primarily as you need to inflate more often.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

I use CO2 and Dynaplugs. I carry 3 cartridges though as my wife and I ride together, and I do her repairs.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i believe in pumps. ironically more than one co2 rider has later thanked me after passing by. just bought a silca pump for my carbon frame. don't care about the looks. its about trust and reliability.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

sychen

by sychen

Am I the only weirdo that carries both?

I have my 2x co2 cannisters, one tube, glueless patches and a Silca mini pump in my jersey pocket.

Holdover from mtb days and I do lots of solo centuries...

Yes there are days I'm still scraping home on leaky tires /tubes.. So worth the weight and effort in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 am
CO2 carts are basically single use only. You just set the pressure by feel just as you do with a mini pump.

I think the chief benefit of CO2 is speed. If you were running tubeless you could probably plug a larger hole and then inflate with CO2 in a minute with practice. Mountain bike racers strap the stuff to their bars and practice speed repairs. If you are running tubes most of your time is removing the wheel and swapping the tube anyway. Like I said, another minute or two for me to pump up the tire is not a big deal.
This ^^^^

CO2 is pretty much for racing only, i can do a complete tyre swap with a tube in 90-120 seconds (MTB) and then it needs as much again to pump up. With CO2 it's a single hit to get it to ~25psi (29x2.2). Takes much less time, also less chance of snapping the valve stem when rushing. When i was racing, an extra minute plus pumping is important. On the road bike, the CO2 gets you to about 90psi (on a 700x25 tyre). But is less useful unless it's a long/solo event.

With tubeless it helps with reseating (so i even carry one when i'm training) but pumping is the default choice.

I also carry CO2 when the weather is bad, standing around for longer than you need to when it's ~15 degrees below zero/raining/blowing a gale is something i'd rather not do.

- How many charges to 90psi (or so) can you get with the C02? On the road bike, the CO2 gets you to about 90psi (on a 700x25 tyre) any leaks or losses could see you with a flat tyre and an empty cart.
- Is the weight of the CO2 pump much less than a mini pump? Fairly marginal, if you have 2 carts and an inflator (my standard set up) there will be no savings
- Assume you can't see the pressure your CO2 is going to (there is no guage), does this matter? Not really, unless you are running small tyres at low pressures, basically empty the cart into most common tyre sizes and you'll be in the right ball park.

mattr

by mattr

sychen wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:18 pm
Nope, training rides usually have both.

I usually buy the carts in bulk, ~100 at a time as well (depending on the packet size!). So i get 3 for £1, give or take.

Edit, they got expensive since last i ordered, i paid about £35 inc shipping for 90 carts, it'll now be nearer £60.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

sychen wrote:

I have my 2x co2 cannisters, one tube, glueless patches and a Silca mini pump in my jersey pocket.

Yes there are days I'm still scraping home on leaky tires /tubes.. So worth the weight and effort in my opinion.

I carry both. :beerchug:

I keep a tube and two CO2 cartridges in my bag, and then carry another tube strapped to my minipump in my pocket. I got a flat the other day on a fast group ride, was able to get it fixed and pumped back up with the CO2 fast enough to be able to catch back up to the group. I started carrying the minipump as a backup when my CO2 got messed up one time, and once it's out, you're done (had to make the call of shame that day). It's worth the extra weight to me in order to not get stranded.

When I got home from using the CO2, I aired down the tire completely and then pumped it back up with my floor pump. :thumbup:

Orlok

by Orlok

sychen wrote:

:beerchug:
No, my too, but I'm carrying 2 inner tubes and two CO2 with a mini pump on the frame.!

:smartass: Murphy can comes twice.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

sychen

by sychen

Haha.. I guess I'm not the weirdo!

Once.. My co2 head blew up (the wrong way) as well and so glad to have the pump that daum

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

On my road bike, I only carry a CO2 inflator and cartriges - I find it easier to inflate and get consistent figures. I always carry three cartridges, in case I do something wrong with the first one, and in case I have a second flat.

For gravel, I'll take an inflator and three cartridges, but I'll also take my pump (Crank Bros. Sterling w/ gauge). I've been able to fix flats with sealant and just topped it off with some CO2, but in case all else fails, I have the inflator which will get me back.

TonyM

by TonyM

I carry both. One CO2 cartridge and one mini pump (and patches)

kode54

by kode54

Has happened to me as well. and then one time, I found the valve core was loose which popped off at some point. That's one thing I hardly check and was a slow leak to start...then finally failed at some point.

I had to resort to the mini pump that I carry as well. I also carry a patch kit with tire boot just in case.
sychen wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:31 pm
Haha.. I guess I'm not the weirdo!

Once.. My co2 head blew up (the wrong way) as well and so glad to have the pump that daum

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com