Secure Lock nipples and straight pull spokes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrossRob

by CrossRob

I’m rebuilding a wheel with Sapim Race straight pull spokes and internal nipples, which have Sapim’s locking system on them.

Before starting the build, I tried threading a nipple on to a spoke, first by hand and then using a spoke wrench and some soft jaw pliers on the spoke. Neither way could I screw the nipple past the thread lock bit - the spoke just spins.

Have I got any chance of building a wheel with these? Any tricks?

Thanks

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about some lubrication and a spoke holder?

How about testing another type of nipple and spoke to test which one is the culprit? If you need to chase the threads a bit you can use a (non locking) nipple screwed on the opposite way and use the straight cut on that side to chase the threads. It doesn't work well with soft alloy nipples if there is too much gunk on the threads. I suggest using another material and not to try and force it if the gunk is too thick.

If you do decide to force installing the securelock nipples then see if you can devise a way to hold the round spoke without damaging it. When you approach the desired tension you'll notice you need more pressure to hold the spoke so make sure it doesn't slip easily.

A wide set of pliars and some kind of middle layer between spoke and pliar? I've never had to hold round spokes as I try to avoid them.

Make sure you hold the spoke as close to the nipple as possible. On really light spokes you can actually deform the spoke even by holding as short as 4-5 cm away from the nipple which is the length of a common nipple key.

That's why I swap keys when I reach higher tensions from the ordinary center mounted to a kind of wrench looking one. That allows me to hold the spoke directly next to the nipple.
Edit: Ignore, you're on internal nipples. My bad.

The pros would say to use the right spoke prep formula and work fast. Amateurs often don't have the luxury. I'm an amateur, I can only speak for myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrossRob

by CrossRob

Thanks Alcatraz. Some lube and a stronger grip have done the trick.

I lined my pliers with a piece of inner tube, which gripped better than the electrical tape I'd been trying.