Which veloflex tubular for GF Flandern?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys.

I’m new to tubular, and want to give it a shot at the gran fondo Flandern. I have a pair of 2014 bora ones (not the wide ones)

Would you go with the vlaanderen, Roubaix or arenberg? The vlaanderen looks promising, but are they to wide at 28 for that rim? What would you recommend?

Have a pair or hed belgiums plus clinchers, but think i would give the tubulars a try.

LionelB

by LionelB

I guess you mean flanders ? In this case Roubaix or Arenberg (same tire different side wall color). Vlaanderen is more for places like Paris Roubaix and you need a frame with enough clearance for them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, 25mm Roubaix or Arrenberg would probably be the ideal choice for Flanders, they’re the same tire except that the Roubaix has tan sidewalls. The 27mm Vlanderens are just too big for that rim and really, kind of big for Flanders too, even if on a wider rim. While the 25’s work on the older Boras, I think even they’re a little wide for the rim profile and will definitely be “pushed up” a bit from the center of the rim bed. I think the ideal width for the older Boras is a 24mm tubular for all round use, which the older Veloflex Roubaixs use to be. If I were putting on a new tubular on an older Bora, I’d strongly consider the 24mm Specialized S-Works Turbo Allround II. When I run out of a little stash of old 24mm Roubaixs, that’s likely what I’ll be moving to.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Which makes me think that Veloflex could have called the Roubaix Vlandereen and vice versa :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, good point. I think you’ve said that somewhere before but I may have not picked up on what you were saying. I get it now. With changing times could/should come changing names I suppose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Calnago wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:46 pm
Yup, 25mm Roubaix or Arrenberg would probably be the ideal choice for Flanders, they’re the same tire except that the Roubaix has tan sidewalls. The 27mm Vlanderens are just too big for that rim and really, kind of big for Flanders too, even if on a wider rim. While the 25’s work on the older Boras, I think even they’re a little wide for the rim profile and will definitely be “pushed up” a bit from the center of the rim bed. I think the ideal width for the older Boras is a 24mm tubular for all round use, which the older Veloflex Roubaixs use to be. If I were putting on a new tubular on an older Bora, I’d strongly consider the 24mm Specialized S-Works Turbo Allround II. When I run out of a little stash of old 24mm Roubaixs, that’s likely what I’ll be moving to.
Vlaanderen and Raven is 28mm from this year.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good to know about the change from 27mm to 28mm width. Thanks.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Hey Calnago. Could you please tell me how does the S-Works Turbo Allround II (24) sit on the new Boras? I ordered Continental Competition, but one of them turned out a dud so I bought the S-Works above to replace it. BTW, just to avoid any misunderstandings, the wheels still have not arrived, hence the question.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have a set of 26mm S-Works on the new Boras, still waiting to be glued. I have a set of the 24mm Turbo Cotton clinchers on an older set of Campy Neutron rims. The 26mm s-Works fit very nicely on the new Boras. I suspect the 24’s would be fine as well, and for sure that’s the size I’d put on the old Boras (pre 2015 with 20.5mm external width), but I haven’t tried them.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Thank you. I remembered that you have mentioned them in the ageing thread, so I presumed you have tried them allready. BTW, did you weigh them. The one I got is 294 g.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

26mm S-Works Turbo Gripton: 296g
25mm Veloflex Roubaix: 296g

LouisN

by LouisN

double post
Last edited by LouisN on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Nejmann wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Hey guys.

I’m new to tubular, and want to give it a shot at the gran fondo Flandern. I have a pair of 2014 bora ones (not the wide ones)

Would you go with the vlaanderen, Roubaix or arenberg? The vlaanderen looks promising, but are they to wide at 28 for that rim? What would you recommend?

Have a pair or hed belgiums plus clinchers, but think i would give the tubulars a try.
What distance are you planning to enter ?
I would definitely go for the Vlaanderen if your bike can take the volume. Mainly for comfort advantages ( without giving anything really performance wise, pros are running 30 mm tubs nowadays) of riding a big tubular with a little less pressure on « rough » terrain. IMO it’s a lot more important for a pleasant experience than a « supposed » perfect fit on a rim.
FWIW pros have ridden wide tubs ( PR and CX) on 17-19 mm rims for years without any issues.
Louis :)