Open tubular failures on ENVE wheels:

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:16 am

for future reference you just need to type veloflex and bora ... oh the beloved bora... no not them.. :noidea:

Not possible, Bora wheels are made from cherubim sinew towed through a bath of unicorn vomit. There is no finer composite material.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I had a rear tire blowout during a descent recently...ended up full motorcross style going around a right hand bend, across the oncoming lane (lucky nobody was coming) and was able to stop the bike in the opposite shoulder. It was an instant blowout and I am confident I did not hit anything and was not braking much. It was a new (less than 500 miles) set of Enve 5.6. Tire was a Michelin Power Competition 25MM that basically split at the bead and then tube exploded out. Tire was very new - 70 miles, second ride.

I inspected the wheel where the tire cut and its rough/sharp on the bead. I have sanded down all the sharp edges on the bead now and its basically smooth. Does anyone know if this needs to be "sealed" with something -- seems like a carbon splinter could cause the same issue again. I took off the tire (new version of same tire) after the next ride and the sidewall looked fine.

Incredibly annoying that a new set of wheels has these sharp edges. Even stranger is the wheels came with a card "signed" by the person who did quality control. I did reach out to Enve but have not heard back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Visus

by Visus

For the asked price imo enve wheels have an incredible rough finish. Frayed carbon strands an splinters everywhere from the hole drilling without any touching up

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Nice to see so expensive wheels with such flaws

Harass Enve, lawyers etc
They should stand behind what they produce

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Visus wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:44 am
For the asked price imo enve wheels have an incredible rough finish. Frayed carbon strands an splinters everywhere from the hole drilling without any touching up
if you get one of those... you send it right back... I for one have not run into that and I've probably have had atleast 10 Enve wheelsets.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Belshazzar

by Belshazzar

You know I was saying the other day that Enve are very good at designing wheels, they're just not very good at actually manufacturing them. The irony is that their whole shtick is US manufacturing, but if they just made the damn things in Taiwan they would likely have a much better product at a more reasonable price. I have 3 sets of wheels in for warranty right now...

georgeh

by georgeh

Did others have the problem of cutted beads on Specialized Turbo cottons? Could not yet locate a clear info if this tire should be considered safe on Enve SES, but can confirm it is not. I just had my second failure of this tire in 3 weeks, on Enve SES 3.4. Will definitively not use any cotton sidewall on this rims any more. ImageImage

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've been using TC on Enve for years.... nothing yet... I'm transitioning to tubeless for everything but not for this reason.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

georgeh

by georgeh

spdntrxi wrote:I've been using TC on Enve for years.... nothing yet... I'm transitioning to tubeless for everything but not for this reason.
Used them for years on multible Enve Classic rims too, without any problem. On Enve SES Gen 2 profile, seems an issue here at least on my end...

RossLB

by RossLB

georgeh wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:49 pm
Did others have the problem of cutted beads on Specialized Turbo cottons? Could not yet locate a clear info if this tire should be considered safe on Enve SES, but can confirm it is not. I just had my second failure of this tire in 3 weeks, on Enve SES 3.4. Will definitively not use any cotton sidewall on this rims any more.
Have you checked the inside edge of your rims to ensure there are no rough/sharp patches?

georgeh

by georgeh

RossLB wrote:
georgeh wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:49 pm
Did others have the problem of cutted beads on Specialized Turbo cottons? Could not yet locate a clear info if this tire should be considered safe on Enve SES, but can confirm it is not. I just had my second failure of this tire in 3 weeks, on Enve SES 3.4. Will definitively not use any cotton sidewall on this rims any more.
Have you checked the inside edge of your rims to ensure there are no rough/sharp patches?
yes, had sanded any sharp areas before mounting tires...feels all smooth...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk