What wheels to choose

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Asscdi

by Asscdi

Interested to get your views on this:
Would you go for Fulcrum racing zero disc ( alloy, 1590gr for 600 EUR), FFWD F3AD-DT350 disc (1560gr for 600 EUR) or stick with the Fulcrum racing 5 disc (1610gr for 270eur only, but so called ‘entry disc wheels’)).
In other words, why should I spent my money on the more expensive wheels?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

If that were my budget I'd elect to save a little longer and buy a nicer wheelset than both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asscdi

by Asscdi

Agreed
Then again, these wheels are for my winter bike/ commuter.

kofsw4

by kofsw4

My fulcrum 5 discs came in at 1825g including rim tape but not thru axles etc. I think you could do better for the money even for training wheels. Maybe check out prime wheels on wiggle / chain reaction or even better some custom built...

TonyM

by TonyM

Asscdi wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 pm
Would you go for Fulcrum racing zero disc ( alloy, 1590gr for 600 EUR), FFWD F3AD-DT350 disc (1560gr for 600 EUR) or stick with the Fulcrum racing 5 disc (1610gr for 270eur only, but so called ‘entry disc wheels’)).
One main difference between the Fulcrum Racing Zero and the Fulcrum Racing 5 are the bearings for example; The excellent (!) USB ceramic bearings vs. the "regular" cartdridge bearings. The rim width (outside/ inside) is also wieder for Racing Zero, so that if you use 28mm tires it is more aero etc...The Racing Zero also have less spokes which should make them a little bit faster. I have for example the Fulcrum Racing Zero and the Quattro CX and I do feel the difference in terms of smoothness and speed.

At the end you have however to decide if the price difference is worth it for you. It really depends on your budget, your fitness level, your expectation,...
I have for example excellent wheels for my winter/ rain bike (DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut 47 DB) that other would only use for their summer bike. My choice.

Miles253

by Miles253

Surely a Hunt 4-Season is going to be a great wheel for that purpose and cheaper than 600 euros?

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products ... ocQAvD_BwE
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am not sure the fulcrum weights are accurate. In any case 28 spoke disc brake wheels with triple butted spokes come in for me at 1640g. Thats with a 24mm wide rim too. Cost less than the hunts.

A wheelbuilder can generally do better.

clarinet5001

by clarinet5001

TonyM wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:45 am
Asscdi wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 pm
One main difference between the Fulcrum Racing Zero and the Fulcrum Racing 5 are the bearings for example; The excellent (!) USB ceramic bearings vs. the "regular" cartdridge bearings. The rim width (outside/ inside) is also wieder for Racing Zero, so that if you use 28mm tires it is more aero etc...The Racing Zero also have less spokes which should make them a little bit faster. I have for example the Fulcrum Racing Zero and the Quattro CX and I do feel the difference in terms of smoothness and speed.

Hunt wheels are fine, excellent for the price. Just don't get too adventurous with inclement weather as Novatec hubs aren't known for stellar wet weather bearing durability.

At the end you have however to decide if the price difference is worth it for you. It really depends on your budget, your fitness level, your expectation,...
I have for example excellent wheels for my winter/ rain bike (DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut 47 DB) that other would only use for their summer bike. My choice.
USB bearings are known for needing frequent service. Their steel bearings are so good that IMHO it's better to save the money. Unfortunately they don't make a Racing 1 anymore, which was basically the Zero with steel bearings and a metal hub shell. Why not just get the Racing 3? It's probably the best price to performance ratio in the lineup.

Honestly, all this talk about the Razing Zero seems a bit out of place when there are excellent wheelsets available custom. If one is going to consider Fulcrum Razing Zero with their relatively harsh, proprietary, and un-aero alloy spokes, why not look at AForce AL33? I do realize that one can easily spec a custom build to beyond 600 Euros, though. With equal level hubs (say DT350) a custom AForce build would probably run around 700 Euros and would probably weigh another 50g or so, but they're the most aero non-carbon rims out there and best many 35-50mm carbon offerings. If you want lighter weight you could spec them with Carbon-ti hubs, but for their disc brake hubs that would bump the price over $1000US, probably around 900-1050 Euros or so. That would bring the weight down to around 1520g without rim tape. And that's with rims on the heavier side, at around 500g per rim. If you want a weight weenie build you could easily spec something in the 440g range.

Considering the AL33's price point, relative aero prowess and plentiful stiffness, IMHO you either go >50mm deep for more aero performance or you save a lot of money with the '99% as good' AL33.

Just save up and go with a wheelbuilder if you want something excellent. Unless you're shopping at the top end of the market or towards the 'value' end, you might as well spec your own build for the in-between stuff. Beyond Fulcrum 3 / Hunt stuff you're getting more diminishing returns than you could get with a wheel build for a similar price, unless you find factory wheelsets on closeout at silly low prices.

Fulcrum Racing 5 are fine wheels, but the biggest issue is the hubs. They're more of a grab bag: you might get great ones, you might get a problem, and bearing life if you ride in wet or muddy conditions at all is questionable. If you were to get Fulcrum 3 I think that would be fine.

Hunts are great for the price: just be careful with Novatecs and premature bearing corrosion if you ride frequently in the wet. Otherwise they're good hubs at an even better price.

TonyM

by TonyM

I actually never heard or read that the USB need frequent service...

The USB bearings in my Fulcrum and Campy wheels are actually running very smooth. Even after many km.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I think rider weight, riding style and climate can result in different product experiences. One review doesn't mean much, positive or negative. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

primoz75

by primoz75

Hi. I'm using this theme topic for a similira question...
i own a Cannondale Synapse disc and i'm searching for an wheels upgrade - now i have on muddox 2.0 wheels.
The budget is limited around 500-600 €, so i guess i have to search for an alloy rim whell.
in this topic i saw the FFWD F3AD as an valid option (priced around 600 €). A valid option are also Fulcrum 3 DB wheels. Ok, Zero DB would be better but are more expensive.
On the internet i can't find any decent review of both wheelset.
Searaching for a tubeless set for fitting 28C tyres on it :)