Colnago C64 port covers crap

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I’d expect any colnago authorised shop to have a box of these knocking around for when they inevitably snap during building

tadrums

by tadrums

Are you implying pilot error?;-). The inserts are essentially identical. Apart from a tiny “extension” on the, as you refer, “front” insert to obscure the EPS wire slot if building mechanical is the only distinction. Colnagos owners manual advises to “trim” this small extension if build is electronic (to provide clearance for EPS wire) then making both inserts precisely identical. BTW, that small extension rests on the outside of frame opening IAE and doesn’t impact fit.
4CAEC538-A1E3-4B6F-BDF5-15B581BB8772.jpeg
Attachments
6908EAEC-BF68-4D86-825C-48CD8713688C.jpeg
TA

by Weenie

tadrums

by tadrums

The difference does not impact fit into frame opening as the tab extension rests OUTSIDE of the frame. The image of “front” port in aftvframe opening was not fully inserted into frame but only loosely placed and for illustration only.
TA

Calnago

by Calnago

No, I was thinking the exact same thing as you, as they look the same in all other respects. Just thought maybe there’s a small difference, especially since you said the one in the rear is all wiggling around etc. But I don’t have them in front of me, or a C64 frame to check for sure with.
Looks like they include a “pretrimmed cover” in the kit, but the manual doesn’t seem to reflect that and implies you need to do it on your own.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tadrums

by tadrums

Precisely. Also, the “rear” port broke when being installed into the rear position...not the front. I am doing an EPS install and there was no need to trim the “extension” from 1 insert. There is 1 insert provided w/extension and 1 that is not. I didn’t mention this previously as I was aware of the distinction from the manual. All that being said the frame opening dimensions are the same. The only diff being the front is “notched/slotted” to accommodate EPS wire. And...trimmable extension is included to cover/hide this slot for mechanical build. Yikes this has turned into rocket science. I just need an F’n insert to replace the 1 that broke. I don’t really give 2Fs if it’s a “front” or “rear”. BTW, the UK source someone suggests is wholesale only...thx.
TA

Guevarca

by Guevarca

The insert looks the same as on my Ridley, if you are in the UK then PM me your address and I'll post you a spare in case it helps out even short term

Calnago

by Calnago

Well ya, that sucks then when you just need a small piece that seems impossible to get. Not really limited to Colnago however. It’s kind of the nature of the industry these days. The Trek Store didn’t even have the little 1 inch long PTFE cable inserts that they put in their built bikes before shipping. Such a common thing that I thought I could just go buy a handful. No such luck. They didn’t even have a spare they could give, or sell me. Made my own. Same with a little bolt for a Madone brake. Nada. And this was from an Official Trek Store. They sell nothing but Trek/Bontrager stuff. Had to buy the whole kit which is $35, special order, but they gave me a break on price even though it was a mechanic from an official Trek Store that stripped the bolt in the first place. Such is the state of the industry I’m afraid. It’s rare that you can just walk into any old bike shop and find the part you need for your super duper frameset anymore. Hopefully your dealer gets you sorted. Even if you have to just buy it through them, at least you now know where they can get it, even though they might not. I really hate all the little niggles that can go wrong with framesets these days, with proprietary this and thats all over the place. Hope you’re up and on the road soon. They do look like a fairly generic piece, with other posters seeming to have the exact same piece in their frames. When I first saw them I thought they looked kind of cool and of good design, but maybe they’re a bit on the fragile side judging from your experience.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

It’s just cost cutting, isn’t it. My C60 has moulded in cable stops on the top and down tube, just use a standard cable ferrule and that’s the job done. They leave that step of manufacturing out, drill an oval hole in the frame and give you a flimsy bit of plastic that costs them less than a penny. Oh, but the frameset price still goes up

Calnago

by Calnago

Zakalwe, I think you’d find that if you scraped away the paint, those stops in your C60 are not “molded in”, but just plastic inserts similar to the above but glued to the holes before paint. Even on my C59 I noticed the derailleur cover on the right side of the headtube lug came loose once, but it was no big deal to just put a dab of glue on and press it firmly back into place. I’m not sure I know of any carbon frames that actually have the cable ports for internal routing molded into the frame completely. They pretty much all require some sort of additional grommet.
The C59 does have a stopless internal routing of the rear brake cable, for a full length housing run. There is an internal plastic guide which allows the entire housing to slide through. I kind of prefer the type with stops however because in the case of the C59, the housing can slide forward and leave an unsightly cable routing line from the rear exit of the top tube to the brake caliper. Easy fix is to just jam a half of a rubber O-ring between the brake housing and the frame where it exits the top tube. Prevents the housing from creeping back into the top tube and you can’t even see the half o-ring behind it.

tadrums

by tadrums

Uh...this isn’t my 1st ‘Nago rodeo. Been building/riding them for longer than I’m willing to admit:-) Beginning w/Gilco tubed Masters, Equilateral, Arabesque, twin DT Ti debacle and every carbon iteration from C40 on. My C60 HT lug w/integrated port required filing to accommodate EPS connector etc. This isn’t a complaint and my complaint now isn’t about the composite port inserts. You guys are missing the point. It’s that I can’t get a replacement for the 1 that cracked. Again, I could give 2Fs what it’s made of, I just need it to finish the build. My dealer would replace it but he doesn’t have it. Colnago US as well as Italy keeps referring me to the dealer. In the interim...I still have frame I can’t build. No need to reply:-)
TA

Calnago

by Calnago

So your dealer has to get it for you. Lean on him. That’s what he’s there for. Or just tell him to order one from the site that @wilwil linked to. Like I said, small parts availability can be an issue with most brands these days, even the big guys it seems. Everything seems to be a “special order”. Hopefully your dealer can get it quickly. I know this ain’t your first Colnago rodeo, and I get your frustration. Such a simple thing holding up the build.

tadrums

by tadrums

Thx for your very kind offer. Unfortunately I am US. Thx again tho:-)

Guevarca wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 pm
The insert looks the same as on my Ridley, if you are in the UK then PM me your address and I'll post you a spare in case it helps out even short term
TA

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Calnago wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 pm
Or just tell him to order one from the site that @wilwil linked to.
The link was to Windwave, who are the U.K. distributors for Colnago, as well as a few other brands like Vision, FSA etc. If they can get them I can’t understand why the US distributors can’t

tadrums

by tadrums

Geez...I’ll assume that rhetorical. Colnago US won’t deal customer direct. My dealer doesn’t have the part. Let it go guys;-) Isn’t the really important question though, “why is this thread in the wheel forum?”
TA

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

tadrums wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:03 pm
My dealer would replace it but he doesn’t have it. Colnago US as well as Italy keeps referring me to the dealer. In the interim...I still have frame I can’t build. No need to reply:-)
I think in this case a reply might be warranted... Ok... you create a thread complaining that you broke one of the port covers. Fine. Several people chime in to try and help. We find out that you purchased the frame out of the country overseas from a dealer in the Netherlands. Yet you expect Colnago America or Colnago Italy to help you out as an end customer in the USA. That would be nice, but I'm sure you can understand that Colnago America is a few people at best and their job is to deal with the dealer network, not end users. They did what many manufacturers do, referred you to the dealer you purchased it from, same as they have done to me when I've needed various parts. So, now you have a dealer who doesn't have the small part. And that dealer is overseas. Yes, it's inconvenient, but that was your choice to purchase from overseas. I'm sure you saved some dollars. And now there's a bit of a problem. What kind of dealer sells a several thousand dollar frame then refuses to make a phone call to obtain a simple port cover, which looks to be just a generic plastic piece used in a number of frames? It's a phone call away, you can even provide them the website and part number where they could order it for you, since it's a wholesaler who doesn't sell to end users. Is the dealer less than legit? Or what? If it's a legitimate authorized dealer I think a lot of folks might like to know the name of this dealer so they can avoid doing business with them. You say they are talking to who knows who about it... have you given them enough time to make good on it? I mean, how long has it been since you notifed them and asked for the part? A week, two weeks?... ok, if it's been a month or more I'd be getting upset too.
In the meantime, someone from overseas kindly offers to send you the piece you're looking for and you say thanks but you're in the US. Send the guy some money to cover postage, and a little gift on top as a thank you is what I'd do, if you can't source the part locally yourself. You probably saved a lot of cash off of retail I'm sure, and with that came some risk, which you're dealing with now. I'm sure you saved more than enough on the purchase price to be able to use some of those savings to pay for the part and shipping from overseas if need be.
Really man...