Colnago C64 port covers crap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tadrums

by tadrums

Hi, Anyone else had tabs break on these when installing? The one that didn’t crack (rear brake cable stop) squirms/flexs so much in the frame that the brake feels mushy. Thx!
t
TA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ouch, haven’t heard of that. Got a picture. Which port covers broke?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tadrums

by tadrums

948EDE4D-B61A-494C-9775-27CCBC32B331.jpeg
TT brake cable/EPS wire ports. They’re both the same. Thx
TA

tadrums

by tadrums

Sorry, they cover openings in TT.
1DD8E288-9AAD-4D86-94BD-9A101F62B319.jpeg
FA917FD2-3CF8-4843-8DAF-569147A004E7.jpeg
TA

wilwil

by wilwil

Didn't break but felt like they could at any moment. I used a thin plastic sleeve threaded up the cable when I needed to remove the cable to thread the cable back through instead of removing these covers. As on the C60. Hadn't thought about the flexing issue...

tadrums

by tadrums

Good that your's are in the frame. My issue is that the port insert broke while installing. The rear is in OK. After one of them breaking I wouldn't dare take it out to run cable so cable liner guide would be a necessity. Soo....I have a brand new C64 clamped in the workstand that I can't finish due to a small composite (plastic??) piece. I own a 6K frame that I cannot build/ride. Neither Colnago Italy or Colnago US are interested. The dealer I purchased thru is in Netherlands and "in discussion" w/who knows. It's not as though I am seeking some huge warranty claim. It's for a tiny/cheap, albeit, required part. I can't recall how many Colnagos I've purchased over the yrs. Strange way to reward customer loyalty. Maybe Ernesto will see this...yeah right:o)
TA

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

My $450 Chinese frameset came with those things on the cable ports and I thought they were a pretty shit solution, but didn’t mind too much because, well, it’s a $450 Chinese frameset. I’d be gutted if they were on my C60. The more I see of the C64 the more I think Colnago have lost it
Attachments
5CDBB051-9BD2-40F1-B888-78CF16EF526C.jpeg

tadrums

by tadrums

Ha:-) That definitely looks like the same piece. I have other frames w/composite inserts/stops and no issues. Urgestalt, BH EVO, Zero6 etc. Using a cheesy Chinese part is one thing, ignoring a paying customer’s plea for a little help is something else. Maybe they’re just so “back-ordered” they’ve lost the plot.
TA

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I agree Tadrums... I’ve not played with the ports as such other than in my initial writeup on the C64 frameset when it was released. But surely, if a customer inadvertently broke a piece like that and needed a new one, I’d for sure hope they’d be getting one to you straight away. Maybe part of the problem is that you ordered from overseas, at a very attractive price maybe. I get it. But I just think when you do that and everything goes perfectly then great, but when something goes wrong, it can be a nightmare, because nobody cares. Kind of like getting a nice gray market camera. It’s the same camera but forget about getting it warrantied in the country you live in.
Where are you located? And which specific piece(s) is it that you need? I’m curious. I don’t have any lying around but if I can find a way, I dunno... no promises however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

robertbb

by robertbb

Ahhhhhh Colnago warranty... fully covered until you roll out the door :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You know, as is often the case with warranty items, the end user doesn’t have direct access to the manufacturer. There is, not always, but usually a dealer you need to go through. Any time I’ve needed a part I’ve had to go though a dealer to get it, be it Colnago, Cannondale, Campagnolo, Shimano, etc., or whoever. And that’s where a good dealer can come in mighty handy in times like this. Hopefully the dealer you purchased it from gets things sorted for you.

robertbb

by robertbb

Agree Cal, but the dealer is also often at the behest of the manufacturer. And some manufacturers have well earned reputations.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Fair point. I’ve never had to warranty anything through Colnago but I do know from ordering frames, patience is a virtue. Not a fan of plastic ports however, which you see everywhere these days. I don’t like the downtube cable port cover on the C64... it’s like so many others these days. Easy to do I guess, but that tiny screw that holds that port cover on could be easily cross threaded. Anything on an actual frame that can be easily damaged I’m not a big fan of. Next time I get a chance to work on a C64, I will take special interest in these pieces, for my own interest. When I did the C64 thread, I just took a pic of the various pieces but didn’t actually build it. The pieces looked quite well made to me, albeit not part of the actual frame.
Downtube port for a mechanical build...

Downtube port for an electric, non disc brake build...

Now, look at the leftmost port cover in the pic below... see the "tab" on it... it's a little stub, versus the slightly longer tabs on the other otherwise identical looking port covers (lower right in the pic below for example). The one on the left is for the rear port, and it’s the one you broke when inserting it in the front port. In your pics, you have a front cover in your rear port. The two are not the same, although it does appear the only difference is that tab. But in the site that @wilwil links to below, you can buy both those tabs, which is good to know.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

wilwil

by wilwil

You may be able to buy one here.
http://www.windwave.co.uk/products/spar ... es/rcv0081

Why is this thread in the wheels forum?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good find @wilwil, I’ve edited my previous post clearly identifying the rear and front ports. They are different, and they are both available from the site you linked to. Thx.