Are 2013 Zipp 404 Firecrest any good in 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Hi guys,

Sorry for the bad title.

I'm looking into getting a set of Zipp 404's from 2013. Obviously they have some years of use and I haven't seen them in real only in pictures but everything looks good.

The reason why I'm looking into the 2013's is because I don't want to spend too much money. They won't be used for racing, climbing or any efforts and will be used for normal/casual riding with friends. Only "heavy" use will be the occasionally town sign sprint.

The wheels are off course the Firecrest rim and the 88 and 188 v8 hubs for 11-speed. I read that Zipp had recalled the v6, 7 and 8 front hubs but I don't think the front wheel has been replaced.

Everything depends on price, but are the 2013 Zipp 404's something that should be avoided in total?
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

IchDien

by IchDien

How many KMs have they done? What's the wear on the brake track? Personally I wouldn't feel safe riding around on a front hub that's been recalled...I value my teeth a bit more than a couple of hundred Euros. :D. Don't you also think avoiding "any efforts" on a road bike is somewhat impossible?

I think that money saved here might be money lost in the long run...Would it not be better to save up a bit more and get something recent / not used for five years / not with a potentially deadly front hub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Good point.

I do have a pair of DT Swiss PRC 1400 Splince wheels with 65mm rims. The only reason I was looking at the Zipp's was to get a little lower rims.

I'm not sure of the milage or the condition of the brake tracks. The seller sends me more detailed photo later.

I will also contact Zipp in my country and see if the recall and replacement program is still active.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

They're on the "older" edge of the spectrum. Personally, I have the 2015 version, which is mostly the same, but has some key differences in the hubs. 2013's probably used the V8 version of the hub, which was recalled. Only the V9 version wasn't, since Zipp apparently addressed the issue. One other issue you'll find with these wheels is that they aren't really stiff. If the rear hub has radial lacing on the drive side, and cross-laced spokes on the NDS, they won't be as stiff as the later version of the wheels (V9 hubs) which were "virtual" 3x on the rear hub.

IF you can get the wheels at a good price, Zipp does have a recall program for those wheels, and the brake tracks are in good shape, I would get them.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

i'm running late 2012 series 303's and 2019 series 404s

i've replaced both hubs on the 303's and respoked both wheels. hope front hub, dura ace rear. the 88 series hubs are utter junk. a friend has 303's from 2015 and has done similar (except replaced both with dura ace hubs) Long story short is for the most part the rims are great, but the hubs are pretty average (actually it’s the internals).

Friend of the forum Hambini would be a good source of advice re the bearings that were/ are used.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I followed Hambini's bearing recommendation on my hubs, and replaced them with some NTN bearings. It was a big upgrade, and took all of 30 minutes to complete (his instructions for the 177 hubs, on YouTube are dead-on for the 188 hubs, with only having to add the additional step of removing the adjustment screw and cap on the NDS).

MC356

by MC356

I bought a used set of 2014 404's from a shop, and the shop was nice enought to send the wheels to zipp for hub recall check and full rebuild of the wheels for the spec of my bike. Wheels feel great!
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Thanks for all the replies.

I talked to the distributor and the recall program is still active so that won't be an issue.

I would prefer a set of newer 404's so I think I'll wait and see what comes around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com