Fulcrum 40T vs Bora Ultra 35

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
hannawald

by hannawald

Fulcrum 40T vs Bora 35 - is there any difference? Similar construction, braking, hubs and bearings..can 5mm in rim height make any difference? Boras are a bit lighter.. has anybody ridden them both?

by Weenie

hannawald

by hannawald

To rephrase my question - does it matter which wheels i buy - stickers aside? Can i buy those i find cheaper?

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Good question.

AJS914

by AJS914

hannawald wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 pm
To rephrase my question - does it matter which wheels i buy - stickers aside? Can i buy those i find cheaper?
I can't see why it would matter much either way. Obviously, one wheel is 5mm taller so potentially a few watts faster.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I own the Fulcrum 40T before I sold it & 3 words to sum it up: Narrow & nothing spectacular

It looks nice and well build though, but I think you can find a better wheelset at that price range. I ended up getting a custom build from NOX.

hannawald

by hannawald

I used to have Boras 35 but wanted to go deeper. I have bought 45mm wheels with even slightly lower weight with dt180 hubs, but miss the acceleration and uphill agility of Boras. I can find Fulcrums cheaper so i was curious if they keep same characteristics as Bora. Another suspision is that the difference was Corsa G+ vs Conti Comp tyres. But i think it was Boras..

AJS914

by AJS914

You probably need to compare the weight of the rims. I don't think a 100 gram difference in hubs will translate into a feeling of uphill agility.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Fulcrum 40T (tubular version) has the CULT bearings. I currently have a set of Bora 35 Ultra as well as a set of the Bora 50 One. The CULT bearings are better than the USB bearings. On the bike stand the CULT bearings spin much longer than the USB bearings. So a fair comparison would be between the Fulcrum 40T and the Bora Ultra. You didn't specify which version of the Bora but I assume you meant the Ultra. The clincher version of the Speed 40 has the cheaper USB bearings. The USB bearings are still a world better than the standard sealed bearings but the CULT is just out of this world in terms of smoothness and low friction.

Mep

by Mep

hannawald wrote:I used to have Boras 35 but wanted to go deeper. I have bought 45mm wheels with even slightly lower weight with dt180 hubs, but miss the acceleration and uphill agility of Boras. I can find Fulcrums cheaper so i was curious if they keep same characteristics as Bora. Another suspision is that the difference was Corsa G+ vs Conti Comp tyres. But i think it was Boras..
Mind if I ask what 45mm wheels or rims you are riding now?

robertbb

by robertbb

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 am
The USB bearings are still a world better than the standard sealed bearings but the CULT is just out of this world in terms of smoothness and low friction.
I agree, and have always believed it's far more worthwhile to upgrade from Bora Ones to Bora Ultras than from Chorus to Super Record.

guyc

by guyc

hannawald wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:03 pm
I used to have Boras 35 but wanted to go deeper. I have bought 45mm wheels with even slightly lower weight with dt180 hubs, but miss the acceleration and uphill agility of Boras. I can find Fulcrums cheaper so i was curious if they keep same characteristics as Bora. Another suspision is that the difference was Corsa G+ vs Conti Comp tyres. But i think it was Boras..
Bora Ultra 50's then....

by Weenie