Tubeless Tyre Sealant - Regular Orange Sealant or Orange Endurance?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dim

by dim

I need to get some more sealant. 've used the Orange Endurance Sealant and have been happy, but I've read a few comments on this forum where guys say that the regular orange sealant is better?

I will be changing tyres approx every 2 1/2 months, so I'm not worried about the sealant lasting for a long time. Which works better at sealing punctures? (bearing in mind that I will be running Conti 5000TL in 25's)

Only 2 sealants that I have used is Orange Endurance and the green Slime STR Premium (which was way too thick and has a consistency of porridge)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m that guy. Regular Orangeseal works better for sealing. The Endurance stuff will stay liquid longer. So, especially if you’re using high pressure road tires (I use it in my tubulars when I puncture, small amount, about 10-15ml), I would go with the regular. I found this out the hard way after seeing the “endurance” on the bottle and incorrectly thinking “well, that’s gotta be better than plain old regular”. If you go to OrangeSeals website there’s a chart somewhere that actually shows this too... the Regular is better at quickly sealing a puncture than the endurance.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dim

by dim

Calnago wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:00 pm
I’m that guy. Regular Orangeseal works better for sealing. The Endurance stuff will stay liquid longer. So, especially if you’re using high pressure road tires (I use it in my tubulars when I puncture, small amount, about 10-15ml), I would go with the regular. I found this out the hard way after seeing the “endurance” on the bottle and incorrectly thinking “well, that’s gotta be better than plain old regular”. If you go to OrangeSeals website there’s a chart somewhere that actually shows this too... the Regular is better at quickly sealing a puncture than the endurance.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

ms6073

by ms6073

I think the answer will also depend on where bikes are stored, out door the temperature range and climate where you live, My experience in the moist, humid climate of the Texas gulf coast and hill country, is that even though our road bikes indoors are indoors on the trainers during the week, last year as temperatures rose in the late spring and summer, the 'regular' variant dried up in less than 30-days, but since switching to the endurance variant, it has stayed liquid for much longer.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dim

by dim

based on the link, the regular sealant is better during spring/summer months (11 degrees C+) and can seal punctures up to 1/4 inch in diameter vs 1/8 inch, and fixes punctures up to 3/4 inch vs 1/2 inch

so, summer months, regualar is better, but when it gets cold, the endurance or subzero sealant is better

You'd have to topup ever 30-45 days though if you use the regular, and 60-120 days if you use the Endurance sealant
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I use the Regular all year long, it's rare that I'm riding in temps below say 6-7 degrees celsius, and after watching the "Endurance" stuff just kind of leak out onto the wet road in the rain as we were stopped trying to give it a chance to seal, I decided that the best and quickest sealing properties are the the number one thing that I'm after, and that's the Regular stuff. I run tubulars and don't use it as a preventative measure in a new tire... only when I get a flat. If you were running tubeless clinchers then I'd imagine you'd want to fill your tire with sealant from Day 1, otherwise what's the point. Only way you're going to know which one is best for you is to try it out and see how it works. Fill one with Regular, one with Endurance, and do your own real world test in your own condtions. That's what I'd do.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

Do people prefer any other sealant for a GP 5000TL?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ya know... I only talk about Orange Seal because that's what I've been using, and it seems to work, and that makes me happy. I hardly ever flat to be honest. But in the past I've had a tubular seal up fine with Stans. And one did just fine with Tufo. The only one I for sure didn't like was the cannister of Vittoria Pittstop and would never use that again. I guess the main reasons I've stuck with Orange Seal, is mostly because it's gotten a lot of good comments since it's release, is readily available where I live, but maybe the biggest reason for me is the little cap and hose that comes with it which makes for very convenient injecting into a tubular (once the valve core is removed), pretty much completely mess free. It's really made the downside of getting a flat on the road with a tubular not really much of a downside anymore. I just wish Orange Seal made a very small container for it, because the smallest one they make is still too big for me to want to carry on a ride, so I use a smaller old Tufo container and just swap the cap with the Orange Seal cap so I can use the little hose it comes with.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I had Orange Seal Endurance do a nice job yesterday at about 5 degrees C. Punctured at 65 psi and sealed at about 45psi. A few strokes with the pump and back up to 65 and it's been good since. I have started mixing Endurance and regular and just topped up with the mix. We'll see how that goes - hoping for the best of both.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Calnago, if you go to your local beauty supply, you can get a small squeeze bottle that'll work for carrying your preferred sealant on rides.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^Tried that but those things are often super thin plastic and the Orange Seal Cap (the secret to success) didn’t fit the threads. Although, excellent supplies of glitter on hand for mixing up your own custom batches of particle size, and color, with your sealant. I prefer silver in winter and gold in summer.
But a used Tufo 50ml bottle is perfect for carrying on the road, with the OS cap attached. Whereas the smallest Orange Seal container is 118ml (4oz). See comparison below...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The Bontrager (and Stan's) sealant comes in the bottles I was referring to. I usually just buy the 32oz Orange Seal bottle and fill up at home. I was going to get a small squeeze bottle to use on the trails, and just keep it in my Camelbak.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, pretty sure I tried the Stans bottle too. But the threads didn’t fit the OS cap at all, and gotta have that OS cap and hose for a nice easy clean way of injection the sealant when needed. Makes it mess free and super easy. May have been the shape and size of the bottle too. The Tufo one works best for me, but I’m always open to something better. I made a suggestion to Orange Seal to make a smaller, packable container but they’ve not done so yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

@Calnago...that's a great combo. didn't know that the OS cap fits the Tufo. thx for that. Great way to carry with valve.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc