Tubeless Tyre Sealant - Regular Orange Sealant or Orange Endurance?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s not an exact fit, but close enough. Just make sure you just start screwing it on straight and should be good. I’ve never had any leak out so it’s working. It’s a nice size in that it’s more tall/slender than Short/stubby (Stan’s) which can feel like a lump in your jersey pocket.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spartan

by spartan

does anyone know what is the shelf life a orange sealant? does it have a expiration date?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don’t know but if it’s in the bottle it seems to last a fairly long time. For example, that 4oz bottle I show in the pic above has a date and lot number on the bottom and it’s dated 11/27/17. I think that is the production date but it’s perfectly fine so far. No signs of starting to coagulate or dry out on the sides of the bottle or anything like that. There is no “use by” or “expiration date” anywhere on the bottle.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Calnago wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 pm
But a used Tufo 50ml bottle is perfect for carrying on the road, with the OS cap attached. Whereas the smallest Orange Seal container is 118ml (4oz). See comparison below...
Same way as I use the regular version to take with me. Don't even bother anymore to take a spare tubular tire, used it 3 times in the past 3 years. Two for me and one for my son. Tubular tires were Conti Competition - Vittoria Grapheen and a Mavic tubular ( Tufo I guess ). Did the job perfect, 20 ml or so in the tubular tire - spin the wheel around, re-pressure the tire and hop hop off you go.

Bought a big bottle and a 4OZ container a few years ago - think it was 2016 after trowing away several TUFO extreme sealant because that becomes hard after 6 months in the container. the little Tufo containers are ideal though for the Orange seal bottle cap 8) . Orange seal in the big bottle is still fine after a few years.

R

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:51 pm
I think the answer will also depend on where bikes are stored, out door the temperature range and climate where you live, My experience in the moist, humid climate of the Texas gulf coast and hill country, is that even though our road bikes indoors are indoors on the trainers during the week, last year as temperatures rose in the late spring and summer, the 'regular' variant dried up in less than 30-days, but since switching to the endurance variant, it has stayed liquid for much longer.
Digging up an old thread, but it's back to being relevant, since summer is back. Have you used Endurance on gravel roads? Been hitting the gravel in Chappell Hill, and was wondering if I should swap to the Endurance mix.

KCookie

by KCookie

I've always used the regular orange seal and never had a problem, always sealed the puncture, until yesterday.
I got a puncture, a very small hole on top and i just couldn't get the sealant to work. Did the usual by spinning the wheel, waiting a few minutes, adding a little air, holding my finger over the hole and still leaking air. Was getting rather frustrated by now.
Ended up changing the tyre.
My only conclusion was the temperature may have contributed to the problem. It was 3c, bloody cold for Australia.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Dynaplug...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

AJS914

by AJS914

Yes, you need a tubeless repair kit. Even "bacon strips" work fine. I just got my first flat that wouldn't seal. It wasn't even a big hole. I put a 1.5mm "road" bacon strip in it. Perfect.

https://www.maxalami.de/Standard-Tubeless-Repair_1

I think my other mistate was turning the wheel, hole down side. All the sealant leaked out. I speculate that holding my finger over the hole while turning it upside down might have helped it seal. By the time I got to the point of plugging the hole, it was starting to seal.

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:30 pm
Digging up an old thread, but it's back to being relevant, since summer is back. Have you used Endurance on gravel roads? Been hitting the gravel in Chappell Hill, and was wondering if I should swap to the Endurance mix.
I wouldn't switch. I just had my first hole in a gravel tire that wouldn't seal. Going to Endurance would be even worse as far as sealing goes. I live in NM where it is super hot. I don't mind topping up sealant every month.

ms6073

by ms6073

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:30 pm
Have you used Endurance on gravel roads? Been hitting the gravel in Chappell Hill, and was wondering if I should swap to the Endurance mix.
Due to lack of tree cover, wife and I have only riden the gravel around Chappel Hill a couple times, but yes, I am using Orange Seal Endurance on both our road and gravel bikes. I suspect that if we had the kind of humidity like they have in Albuquerque, then Houston would be much nicer place to ride in the summer and I would probably use regular Orange Seal. Since our garage is not insulated nor climate controlled, I keep both our road and gravel bikes in the trainer room (fka front bedroom :lol: ) in the house. One other thing I have found helpful is once a month - maybe more often now that we are seeing temps over 90° F(32°c) - I use a tubeless sealant injector (syringe with long tube attached) sourced from Ebay to suck out the sealant in order to gauge how much has dried/evaported before refreshing the sealant levels.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:50 pm
I live in NM where it is super hot. I don't mind topping up sealant every month.
Yeah, but its a dry heat. :beerchug:
I see Albuquegue is forecast to have a heat index of 89° today where as Houston is forecast for a 102° heat and out overnight low will be 79°. Seriously though, whats up with that? :(
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

AJS914

by AJS914

Sealant life also seems to be proportional to how well your tires seal. Previously I had tires with porous side walls and in the NM summer I'd have to add sealant after 2 weeks. After a few times of doing that I could get away with every 3-4 weeks.

This time around I got specific "tubeless ready" tires that are well sealed. My sealant is hardly evaporating now. After a month I still had a ton of sealant left in the tire.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:17 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:50 pm
I live in NM where it is super hot. I don't mind topping up sealant every month.
Yeah, but its a dry heat. :beerchug:
I see Albuquegue is forecast to have a heat index of 89° today where as Houston is forecast for a 102° heat and out overnight low will be 79°. Seriously though, whats up with that? :(
I ended up getting a couple of 32oz bottles of original OS, and I'll just top them off as needed. I've decided to do a monthly gravel ride, during the summer, and I'll go back to a more regular ride, once it cools down.

One option that has more tree cover is Anderson, which is a 30ish mile loop with some decent tree coverage, and a nice doughnut/kolache place at the end. It's got a nice 15-mile loop you can do, if you want to add more mileage.

ms6073

by ms6073

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 pm
One option that has more tree cover is Anderson, which is a 30ish mile loop with some decent tree coverage
Thanks. Wife and I have done several 30-35 mile gravel rides from the community center near Richards, and while I have ridden on the roads around Anderson, other than country road 222 to the East, was not aware of any other gravel out that way.
- Michael

AJS914

by AJS914

I ride in NM heat any time - 80-90-100F. I get on the bike when I can. I was suffering a little my first summer here but since then I've totally acclimated to the heat. As long as I'm moving it really doesn't bother me at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes, you need a tubeless repair kit. Even "bacon strips" work fine. I just got my first flat that wouldn't seal. It wasn't even a big hole. I put a 1.5mm "road" bacon strip in it. Perfect.

Many thanks, will look into it.
I have now realized since mounting the tyre tonight trying to fix again that lots of air is leaking from the bottom of the valve around the tyre itself.
I must have damaged it whilst rolling it up squeezing it back in the saddle bag. My bad.
Is this now ready to bin or fixable.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk