Extralite Road Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

emotive

by emotive

Ideal for older model disc frames with low clearance such as Izalco Disc 2014-18 and TCR Disc 2017-19. Optimal tyre is 23mm which will measure 26mm on the wheel.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

emotive wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:18 am
Ideal for older model disc frames with low clearance such as Izalco Disc 2014-18 and TCR Disc 2017-19. Optimal tyre is 23mm which will measure 26mm on the wheel.
yes good point. They are almost as wide as the Enve 3.4 Gen 3. I did try the Enve AR's which fit fine on my R5 disc but im small (5'8 and 65kg) and they were a tad overkill for me (plus i looked stupi riding massive wheels with a skinny small frame!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm
ive just ordered a set.....
What tires are you planning on running? I'm unlucky enough to have new GP5000 TLs and Pirelli Cinturatos just sitting here, but nethier will work with these wheels. I'll have to sell them and try somehting else. I emailed Sergio at Extralite about tire recommendations and will wait to hear back.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

youjettisonme wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm
mashiehood wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm
ive just ordered a set.....
What tires are you planning on running? I'm unlucky enough to have new GP5000 TLs and Pirelli Cinturatos just sitting here, but nethier will work with these wheels. I'll have to sell them and try somehting else. I emailed Sergio at Extralite about tire recommendations and will wait to hear back.
the most annoying thing about hookless road is the lack of clarity / testing. for example i have a friend of mine who is running GP4000's with latext tubes on his Enve AR wheels with no issues. Conti say their 5000TL are for hooked rims only yet Enve state they are testing!
I will mount some Pro One's in 25mm tubeless and run them for Spring and see what the testing will bring.

Morkai

by Morkai

I'm also looking to the new Extralites for my new wheels (or Bike Ahead biturboRoad), but I'll wait with the decision until reviews for the new Rotor One groupset are out (if any...)

Currently I have around 6k km on hookless Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Disc running tubeless Schwalbe Pro One 25mm and I dread the next time I'll have to replace the tyres.
Not because it's hard to fit new tyres, but because it's increadibly hard (and messy) to remove the old ones (last time I had to ask for help someone with arms 2x bigger than mine :))

I'm 62 kg and usually running 72 PSI front and 79 PSI rear. After fitting new tyres I pump them to ~90 PSI and leave them overnight (without any sealant). If they are still rock hard the next day, I deflate them, pour some sealant and pump back to my desired pressure.
I've had one tiny hole in the front that did not seal properly (not enough sealant left I think) 20 km from home and managed to ride back safely (later checked and the pressure went down to 29 PSI).

But they supposedly have a 'special tech' for securely fitting tubeless ready tyres and are recommending Schwalbe Pro One.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Morkai wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 pm
I'm also looking to the new Extralites for my new wheels (or Bike Ahead biturboRoad), but I'll wait with the decision until reviews for the new Rotor One groupset are out (if any...)

Currently I have around 6k km on hookless Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Disc running tubeless Schwalbe Pro One 25mm and I dread the next time I'll have to replace the tyres.
Not because it's hard to fit new tyres, but because it's increadibly hard (and messy) to remove the old ones (last time I had to ask for help someone with arms 2x bigger than mine :))

I'm 62 kg and usually running 72 PSI front and 79 PSI rear. After fitting new tyres I pump them to ~90 PSI and leave them overnight (without any sealant). If they are still rock hard the next day, I deflate them, pour some sealant and pump back to my desired pressure.
I've had one tiny hole in the front that did not seal properly (not enough sealant left I think) 20 km from home and managed to ride back safely (later checked and the pressure went down to 29 PSI).

But they supposedly have a 'special tech' for securely fitting tubeless ready tyres and are recommending Schwalbe Pro One.
i have hookless beads on my mountain bike tyres, they are from LB from about three years ago and a total pain to remove the tyre. The only way i found was to find a plastic tyre lever with a thin, wide wedge shape, holding the tyre bead tight and 'teasing' the bead off the lip!

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

Thought of another question... I've been focused on tubeless tires, but which traditional clincher tires might work well with these hoops? Who has experience with using tubed tires with hookless rims?

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

Lulz. Extralite tells me that good tires for these wheels would be TLRs from Maxxis, Hutchinson and Conti. ...and that the Schwalbes actually wouldn't make for a good match. Oh well. I have a set of Conti TLRs so I'll probably just throw those on there. Eventully, I'd like to try some Fusion 11Storms as well.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

youjettisonme wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:33 pm
Lulz. Extralite tells me that good tires for these wheels would be TLRs from Maxxis, Hutchinson and Conti. ...and that the Schwalbes actually wouldn't make for a good match. Oh well. I have a set of Conti TLRs so I'll probably just throw those on there. Eventully, I'd like to try some Fusion 11Storms as well.
from the research i have don on Enve and Hunt wheels with hookless beads, both are reccomending the install of std clinchers and tubes. Both point to Tubeless/TLR tyres as their beads as more uniform and not likely to deviate / stretch. So....... my plan is to run them with Pro-Ones' and see what happens. Incidentally Hunt do not recomend the Fusions Storms on their hookless models... confused!

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:46 pm
youjettisonme wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:33 pm
from the research i have don on Enve and Hunt wheels with hookless beads, both are reccomending the install of std clinchers and tubes. Both point to Tubeless/TLR tyres as their beads as more uniform and not likely to deviate / stretch. So....... my plan is to run them with Pro-Ones' and see what happens. Incidentally Hunt do not recomend the Fusions Storms on their hookless models... confused!
Exactly! Extralite is SPECIFICALLY saying NOT to use Pro One's on these wheels... right after I just ordered 4 new Pro Ones's. <zoinks>

What is "std", btw? In my mind, I figured all three, Extralite, Hunt and Enve would have similar sentiments when it comes to which tires may be appropriate to mount on their hookless rims. Unfortuantely, this appears not to be the case. Oh well. Extralite let me know that the Contis TLRs are/were very difficult to mount at all, and that this means they'd be safer if not more arduous.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Crikey, this is more complicated than i thoughts / needs to be. You are going to have a garage full of tyres. 'std' means standard clinchers with tubes, which is what i am going to try in the first instance!

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 pm
Crikey, this is more complicated than i thoughts / needs to be. You are going to have a garage full of tyres. 'std' means standard clinchers with tubes, which is what i am going to try in the first instance!
Gotcha. That's the other question I had asked in this thread...whether there was a good tube"ful" tire to use on a hookless rim which others had already vetted. Obviously, it would be a larger tire which could handle lower pressures (28+).

For me, at least I'm getting all of these tires at great prices, and I can just resell to clubmates at cost without too much worry.

Also, found another pic. Get hyped!
Attachments
extra.jpg

mashiehood

by mashiehood

youjettisonme wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:14 am
mashiehood wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 pm
Gotcha. That's the other question I had asked in this thread...whether there was a good tube"ful" tire to use on a hookless rim which others had already vetted. Obviously, it would be a larger tire which could handle lower pressures (28+).

For me, at least I'm getting all of these tires at great prices, and I can just resell to clubmates at cost without too much worry.

Also, found another pic. Get hyped!
having trawled the archives of WW, i found this thread and response from Enve.
viewtopic.php?t=150326

I will be running my GP4000II 25mm with latext tubes. Should be fine :twisted:

My wheels should arrive today / tomorow, will be mounted and ready for their first outing on Friday.

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

Share pics!! I was given a tracking number, but I don't think they've actually been shipped yet.

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

[/quote]

having trawled the archives of WW, i found this thread and response from Enve.
viewtopic.php?t=150326

I will be running my GP4000II 25mm with latext tubes. Should be fine :twisted:

My wheels should arrive today / tomorow, will be mounted and ready for their first outing on Friday.
[/quote]

I take it back. Wheels are on schedule to arrive tomorrow. That's the good news. The bad news? Got hit with a HUGE tarriff. $236. Ouch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com