Extralite Road Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

mashiehood wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:09 pm
well, im still alive! wheels are lovely, feel feathery light compared to the boat anchors i have (Enve 3.4 with formula hub weighed almost 1600g), in reality they are wheels which felt good! They look great on my Cervelo R5 and gets the bike to 6.1kg which for a disc bike to great.
Excellent! I do love the look of them. Which rotors did you mount? I only have an Ultegra cassette laying around so I decided to weight for a SRAM red to arrive instead. Will likely be on the rain bike until then anyway so no rush.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

SRAM Centreline Rotors (floating) with SRAM XG1190 cassette. All set for the Majorca 312 end of April and Maratona in July.

Morkai

by Morkai

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:37 am
Morkai wrote:...I'm 62 kg and usually running 72 PSI front and 79 PSI rear...
Pressure seems kind of high for your weight? I'm 84kg and run the same or less with tubes on 25mm tyres?
Before the first ride I've set the pressure to the minimum recommended by Schwalbe (5bar) and stuck with it, because it still felt more comfortable than 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed @ 4bar I was using (but on different, aluminium rims).

sychen

by sychen

Was getting excited about this until I realised it was hookless.. Sigh

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

sychen wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:46 pm
Was getting excited about this until I realised it was hookless.. Sigh

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
<giving you permission to still be excited>

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

https://www.instagram.com/p/BujS-TggHto ... _copy_link

Has anyone else used these Bridgestone R1Xs? Just noticed them on this new Extralite build.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

youjettisonme wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BujS-TggHto ... _copy_link

Has anyone else used these Bridgestone R1Xs? Just noticed them on this new Extralite build.
nope but my second ride today with GP4000RS and Latex tubes - 80PSI and ride like a dream. However they are harsher than the Enve's. I wont be going tubeless, i just dont see the point TBH, on MTB yes great to be able to run 28psi and not worry about pinch flats, but no need for road.
Oh and thank the lord for the tyrekey - only found out about it on here and wonder how i managed without.

Aeo

by Aeo

emotive wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:18 am
Ideal for older model disc frames with low clearance such as Izalco Disc 2014-18 and TCR Disc 2017-19. Optimal tyre is 23mm which will measure 26mm on the wheel.
The clearance on my TCR is good, Schwalbe Pro Ones at effective width of 28-29mm have lots and lots of room
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

emotive

by emotive

Aeo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:43 am
emotive wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:18 am
Ideal for older model disc frames with low clearance such as Izalco Disc 2014-18 and TCR Disc 2017-19. Optimal tyre is 23mm which will measure 26mm on the wheel.
The clearance on my TCR is good, Schwalbe Pro Ones at effective width of 28-29mm have lots and lots of room
If you upgrade from the stock Giant wheels with a 17C tyre bead to these Extralite with a 20C tyre bead, the same Pro One tyre will be stretched 1.5mm wider to around 30mm, then I think you dont have much clearance. If you ride clean roads, and in the dry, you will probably be OK. Be careful not to get any small stone caught between the chainstay and the tyre.

Aeo

by Aeo

The frame/fork almost take 32C Gravelkings which are 34mm wide on 20mm internal width rims…

The Extralites are still slim on the outside so you would run a 23C Schwalbe Pro One. Even the 25C would not come close to touching the frame/fork anywhere even with stones.

And the problem area is not the chainstays, but the seat tube and fork crown.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

mashiehood

by mashiehood

My GP4000RS 25c on the Extralite wheels came in at exactly 28. Spot on width for me. My morning commute in very windy condition, no reports of being buffeted or thrown into a ditch (promise i wont do too many ride reports).

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:10 am
My GP4000RS 25c on the Extralite wheels came in at exactly 28. Spot on width for me. My morning commute in very windy condition, no reports of being buffeted or thrown into a ditch (promise i wont do too many ride reports).
Well, I started this thread, and I don't mind so ride-report away...

I'm a big fan of wheels which aren't apt to throw me into a ditch in windy conditions. ;-)

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

Weight before. Includes everything; cages, mounts, bell, etc.

Weight after wheelset switch:

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Rides of Japan has bought a set and reviewed on youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQKCevHF_E

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:10 am
Rides of Japan has bought a set and reviewed on youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQKCevHF_E
Yep, was checking out his video yesterday. It's fair, but after my first real ride this morning, I'm not yet experiencing the same issues so perhaps they did a better job prepping mine. As for ride quality, it's silly how quickly these spin up. I had been running the stock DT Swiss (Syncros 1.0) wheels until now. It's really night and day on any gradient. Descending also felt sure. I'm running with GP5000s, non-tubeless and Tubolitos.

My only issue right now is that I tend to run organic on the front, sintered on the rear, and these Trickstuff rotors aren't like the sintered at all so far.