Extralite Road Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

UPDATE:

Spoke too soon. After my ride yesterday evening, I did experience some minor pinging from the front wheel when out-of-saddle. This can be solved by tightening the preload just a bit on the front hub. Apparently, this has been very common for these wheels so far.

The only other negative I've experienced so far is that these catch a little bit more crosswind than my other wheels. Nothing major, but it's noticeable.

Finally, solved my rear rotor contamination issue by soaking in dishwashing liquid, scrubbing, drying, then wiping down with alchol wipes. Fixed entirely, and now the braking is silent and phenomenal.

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

So, as it turns out, just about everyone has had spoke tension issues on the front wheel only with these wheels. The spoke tension on delivery for the non-disc side was 68-75. Recommended is 90. The spoke tension on the disc side was 110-114. They recommend 145. Retensioning makes the pings disappear. Dissappointing from Extralite, for sure, but at least it's solvable.

On another note, these wheels continue to blow me away. It's the single biggest upgrade I've ever experienced in my 20 years on the bike.
Last edited by youjettisonme on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

youjettisonme wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm
So, as it turns out, just about everyone has had spoke tension issues on the front wheel only with these wheels. The spoke tension on delivery for the non-disc side was 68-75. Recommended is 90. The spoke tension on the disc side was 110-114. They recommend 145. Retensioning makes the pings disappear. Dissappointing from Extralite, for sure, but at least it's solvable.

On another note, these wheels continue to blow me away. It's the singlest biggest upgrade I've ever experienced in my 20 years on the bike.
I will check the spoke tension on mine this weekend. Have now managed to get my Cervelo R5 Disc down to 6.3kg!

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

mashiehood wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 am
I will check the spoke tension on mine this weekend. Have now managed to get my Cervelo R5 Disc down to 6.3kg!
What other mods did you make to get it below 14lbs?

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Sometimes inflating a tight fitting tyre on a wheel provides better stress-relieving than any amount of manhandling. I have a set of Alpha 340s that I had to retension with a tyre inflated!!!

mashiehood

by mashiehood

youjettisonme wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 pm
mashiehood wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 am
What other mods did you make to get it below 14lbs?
Cannondale SISL2 chainset with Stages Power, Berk Dila Saddle, got rid of the RAT axles and replaced with Cruel Components axles. Its a size 51 with Enve Stem, Bars etc. Ill post pics in due course.

billendk

by billendk

Anybody with some more feedback? How flexy are they compared to roval clx 32. I am a 78kg rider and strongly consider this wheelset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

billendk wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 pm
Anybody with some more feedback? How flexy are they compared to roval clx 32. I am a 78kg rider and strongly consider this wheelset.

I'm 72kgs, no flex to speak of.

McGilli

by McGilli

Just ordered some of these myself last week - already shipped and on their way to Western Canada. So probably a few weeks out still.

I also ordered some Schmolke TLO 45 Clincher with Tune Prince/Princess Skyline Centrelock hubs to try out against the Extralite eventually.

Running 2019 Cervelo R5 DA Di2 with the DT Dwiss Spline 1450 Disc wheels currently.

Size 48cm frame, with all stock parts comes in at 7.27kg / 16.03lbs

I calculate the Extralite CyberDisc 38c will save me 400g (1480g DT Swiss to 1080g Extralite).

Based on the terrain and twisty descents I perform on I'll be using Shimano RT86 rotors which won't win any weight weenie awards.

Still, it's the going up part that I ordered these for and I'm excited about :)

McGilli

by McGilli

My wheels just arrived..... Wow...

1000g exactly for the set!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I wish they were aero.. too bad.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

McGilli

by McGilli

Yeah - I'm not familiar with these off-set type rims. Will be veru interesting to see how they handle.

However - the main reason for these is I will be Everesting a local mountain in a couple months - So ~9,000m climbing at a fairly easy speed at avg 6% climb - aero not needed since my only time to eat/drink will be on descent anyways so - even if it's a touch slower going down I'm good with that!

Some more photos:

AND

Check out the fold of the carbon wrap....

billendk

by billendk

My wheels weigted almost as advertised. Very happy with them so far. ImageImage

mashiehood

by mashiehood

im riding mine at the mallorca 312 this weekend, should be fun.

Gary71

by Gary71

I can't see it, but can anyone confirm if there is a weight limit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com