Extralite Road Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The wheels are beautiful.

I noticed the spokes aren't crossed. I thought that was a useful way to increase performance for free.

Does anyone have a theory why they didn't?

1llum4

by 1llum4

You mean for rear non-drive side and front drive-side ? This should be for balancing tension between sides as shorter spoke length from radial lacing would require more tension than 2x cross.

If you mean over/over of the rear drive side and front non-drive spoke, this is normal for straight pull hubs because of the offset anchor point of the spoke at the hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I wonder what Extralite will say about pressure?
The rims are only 26mm outside so if you want a sensible aerodynamic profile you are restricted to smaller tyres ( e.g. labelled 23mm). So you will need to run decent pressures to protect the fancy rims. Is this going to be an issue with hookless? Tubeless beads only?

Anyway, they look great and I wouldn't be too concerned about them being bendy on a disc bike with through axles.

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

petromyzon wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 pm
I wonder what Extralite will say about pressure?
The rims are only 26mm outside so if you want a sensible aerodynamic profile you are restricted to smaller tyres ( e.g. labelled 23mm). So you will need to run decent pressures to protect the fancy rims. Is this going to be an issue with hookless? Tubeless beads only?

Anyway, they look great and I wouldn't be too concerned about them being bendy on a disc bike with through axles.
The max pressures are listed at 6 bar (~87psi). I think the 20mm internal is impressive for the weight as semi-comparable approaches from Ax-lightness, Schmolke and others aren't nearly that wide. Schmolke is 18 internal for example.

For AX-ligthness Ultra Discs, I found this text humorous in relation to what you're converying:

"The massive width of 26 mm is responsible for a high stability and stifness. The huge internal width of 16.5 mm allows the tire to evolve in a very advantageous shape that not only allows to ride with a lower pressure without bulking under load or in corners, but at the same time increases the comfort and yields a reduction in rolling resistance."

http://ax-lightness.de/en/cycling/bike- ... 2845c-tlr/

hannawald

by hannawald

20 internal but no hooks..with hooks it would be less, maybe 18?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Because this is a disc brake rim it's got a lot of weight saving around the (no longer) brake track area. This area also contributes to handle air pressure loads so by removing material you also reduce the rim's ability to handle pressure.

6 bar is pretty low but it works if you run 25mm tires and you don't weigh over 75-80kg. Anyone heavier than that would probably have to go over 6 bar or go 28mm on the rear.
1llum4 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 pm
If you mean over/over of the rear drive side and front non-drive spoke, this is normal for straight pull hubs because of the offset anchor point of the spoke at the hubs.
Thats really interesting, thank you. I wonder if it really is normal to do this. I could have sworn my friends bontrager aura5 sp rear wheel was "over/over" (is that the name?). Is it maybe a maximum anchor offset that would allow such a configuration?

Why do wheelsets nowadays depart from that? I'd love to hear the pro wheelbuilders argue about the benefits and drawbacks. Is it all about chasing weight savings around the anchor points?

Edit: Yes they're over/over. The lateral spoke head anchor offset is almost zero though. Seems that these dt hubs are designed for over/over then. Are most hubs not?

mashiehood

by mashiehood

ive just ordered a set.....

mashiehood

by mashiehood

extralite response on tyre pressure for the wheels
Tyre Size
C25mm -> 7,5bar
C28mm -> 6.5bar
C32mm -> 5 bar
Ive also noted the new Conti 5000TL is for hooked rims only which is a real shame.

youjettisonme

by youjettisonme

Good catch on the Conti 5000s. I have some being shipped right now, but it looks like I'll have to sell them off. Oh well.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Can those pressures really be max pressures?

Looks more like recommended pressure.

Then there is no max 6 bar limit, or? There is no mention of it on their homepage.

hannawald

by hannawald

Considering 25mm tyres will measure 28mm in real, even 6,5 bar should be ok for tubeless..80kg rider will ride them at about 6 bar..and heavier riders should look for other wheels i guess..

mashiehood

by mashiehood

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 am
Can those pressures really be max pressures?

Looks more like recommended pressure.

Then there is no max 6 bar limit, or? There is no mention of it on their homepage.
not sure - im 65kg (naked :D ) full weight with bike around 73kg. I will probably run them tubeless with Pro One's 25mm at 70psi.
cant wait - if anyone wants a Gen 1 Enve 3.4 with Formula Hubs that have never seen the outdoors, drop me an email im in the UK.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Good tire choice.

I wonder what would the consequence be of running hooked tires on a hookless rim (tubeless)?

mashiehood

by mashiehood

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 am
Good tire choice.

I wonder what would the consequence be of running hooked tires on a hookless rim (tubeless)?
the Enve AR's are hookless and they recomend the Pro One's i think. Should be ok. If not back to tubes and tyres!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Just to add i am a big Extralite fan, runs their hubs, stems etc on my road and MTB and their performance and service has been excellent.