Extralite Road Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

in the past i've had their wheels and they always claimed to exceed some standard .. cant remember the name of the standard but it was 200lb.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

FAR superlight 25mmx25mm tubeless rims built with Extralite disc hub: 1186g/set
Attachments
01.jpg
002.jpg
001.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

Sounds about right. This is what they replied on their facebook page.

"All our products exceed EN (Uni/Din) safety standard requirements.
As general rule just realize that safety standard tests simulate an extremely strong athlete of 90kg (200Lb.) at his maximum possible output and repeat this loading efforts on a base of 100.000 times for each test session."
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 am
in the past i've had their wheels and they always claimed to exceed some standard .. cant remember the name of the standard but it was 200lb.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

feedback from the Mallorca 312 (i did the 167 as a smashfest!) wheels performed really well. The pre ride days were a tad windy and to be honest they dont inspire confidence in the wind. Im only 64kg so tend to get blown around a bit. My previous wheels (Enve 3.4) were better in windy conditions then the Extralites. The front wheel started pings but sorted it with a finger tightening of the preload.

McGilli

by McGilli

In three weeks I've put ~1200km on them, with ~13,000m of climbing. And descending (Much more inportant to me than how they climb at 17kmh is how they handle down hills at 80/kmh)

BIKE TESTED ON: 2019 Cervelo R5 Di2 ---- replacing DT Swiss 1450 Spline

WHY THESE WHEELS? Weight. My DT Swiss wheels - with no tubes, rotors or tires weigh 1480g. The extraLite weigh 1000g even (pictures were posted previous page).

MOUNTING THE TIRES UP: What.... A.... Pain in the ass. Wow. Never, ever have I had issues like this. Now, I am NOT a tubless guy. I use tubes and Conti 4000 clinchers. The first negative is that Extralite does not include any sort of Rim Tape. This took forever for me to find a type (cloth? PVC? Tape?) that would work with clinchers and the deep, deep channel in these rims, not only getting them mounted - but actually allowing the tires to settle properly outside of that channel afterwards... . Your mileage may vary.

RIDING EXPERIENCE: I never ride less than 20,000km/year. I ride farthur, climb more and ride more often than anyone I know. So, what this means is that I'm tuned into my bikes and all the minute details and differences that any new parts bring to my experience.

PRELOAD CLICK- None. I've read of others having it - but not me.

FLEX - Evaluating Disc wheels compared to Rim Brake wheels isn't really possible. Every set of rim brake wheels I have ever had rub when out of the saddle. These - dead silent. No rotor rub at all. On occasion, a few pings, but I recongnize those as just the spokes rubbing under heavy load when sprinting.

LOOKS - Excellent. What an I say, I love how they look and so do the people that see them in person.

HUBS - My first set of Extralite. Going from my DT Swiss which I put 2,000km on before riding these - it's noticeable. People talk about spin-up speed, and it's true. These just get up to whatever speed you want with ease. Only comparable wheelset I've ever had like this is my Mad Fiber's on White Ind. hubs.

CLIMBING - Well, they are 480g lighter than what I was using and the hubs spin more smoothly and with less effort it seems. I knocked ~80 seconds off of my 1300m climb compared to just days before on the DT Swiss (I do this climb every week)

DESCENDING - This is the area I was most concerned about. I had read on this site, and elsewhere - about how these wheels are 'not aero' - insinuating they would somehow be slower than 'aero' wheels. At avg speed of 75kmh on a 1300m descent at avg 7% I was 130 seconds faster descending on these wheels. Every time. This is over 5 times trying this climb and descent. Every time - comparable results. These wheels are much faster descending that my 'aero' 35mm DT Swiss.

HOWEVER - This is now my 14th set of wheels I beleive in the last 5 years. (not all sets are used in mountainous terrain). And there is some wind judder at higher speeds. They are not as solid as Zipp 303's, and a part of this though is due to the 38c's having the disc rotors to deal with in the wind, as well the R5 is a very, very light bike on the front. The past two years I've spent on a Ti bike that's 3lbs heavier, and with a much heavier front end. For me, eating while descending on these wheels (Reaching into back pockets to pull food) isn't the simple task it has been for most years. (When you are always going for Triple or Quadruple KOM"s on mountain climbs you don't have the luxury of stopping to get your food or drink). But - the worst every descending wheels I've used still goes to my beloved Mad Fibers.

PRICE - Cheaper than Zipps or Enve where I live.

SHIPPING - it took 3 business days from the day I ordered - for the wheels to travel from Italy to Vancouver Canada and be in my hands.

ARE TYHEY WORTH IT - Yes. The speed increase ascending and descending has, in my eyes, justified this purchase. And as mentioned, they look fantastic.

GOING FORQRD - after this weekned I'm taking these off and putting on a new set of Schmolke TLO 45 Disc Clinchers - and will give those a spin for a few weeks to compare...

mashiehood

by mashiehood

McGilli wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:01 pm
In three weeks I've put ~1200km on them, with ~13,000m of climbing. And descending (Much more inportant to me than how they climb at 17kmh is how they handle down hills at 80/kmh)

BIKE TESTED ON: 2019 Cervelo R5 Di2 ---- replacing DT Swiss 1450 Spline

WHY THESE WHEELS? Weight. My DT Swiss wheels - with no tubes, rotors or tires weigh 1480g. The extraLite weigh 1000g even (pictures were posted previous page).

MOUNTING THE TIRES UP: What.... A.... Pain in the ass. Wow. Never, ever have I had issues like this. Now, I am NOT a tubless guy. I use tubes and Conti 4000 clinchers. The first negative is that Extralite does not include any sort of Rim Tape. This took forever for me to find a type (cloth? PVC? Tape?) that would work with clinchers and the deep, deep channel in these rims, not only getting them mounted - but actually allowing the tires to settle properly outside of that channel afterwards... . Your mileage may vary.

RIDING EXPERIENCE: I never ride less than 20,000km/year. I ride farthur, climb more and ride more often than anyone I know. So, what this means is that I'm tuned into my bikes and all the minute details and differences that any new parts bring to my experience.

PRELOAD CLICK- None. I've read of others having it - but not me.

FLEX - Evaluating Disc wheels compared to Rim Brake wheels isn't really possible. Every set of rim brake wheels I have ever had rub when out of the saddle. These - dead silent. No rotor rub at all. On occasion, a few pings, but I recongnize those as just the spokes rubbing under heavy load when sprinting.

LOOKS - Excellent. What an I say, I love how they look and so do the people that see them in person.

HUBS - My first set of Extralite. Going from my DT Swiss which I put 2,000km on before riding these - it's noticeable. People talk about spin-up speed, and it's true. These just get up to whatever speed you want with ease. Only comparable wheelset I've ever had like this is my Mad Fiber's on White Ind. hubs.

CLIMBING - Well, they are 480g lighter than what I was using and the hubs spin more smoothly and with less effort it seems. I knocked ~80 seconds off of my 1300m climb compared to just days before on the DT Swiss (I do this climb every week)

DESCENDING - This is the area I was most concerned about. I had read on this site, and elsewhere - about how these wheels are 'not aero' - insinuating they would somehow be slower than 'aero' wheels. At avg speed of 75kmh on a 1300m descent at avg 7% I was 130 seconds faster descending on these wheels. Every time. This is over 5 times trying this climb and descent. Every time - comparable results. These wheels are much faster descending that my 'aero' 35mm DT Swiss.

HOWEVER - This is now my 14th set of wheels I beleive in the last 5 years. (not all sets are used in mountainous terrain). And there is some wind judder at higher speeds. They are not as solid as Zipp 303's, and a part of this though is due to the 38c's having the disc rotors to deal with in the wind, as well the R5 is a very, very light bike on the front. The past two years I've spent on a Ti bike that's 3lbs heavier, and with a much heavier front end. For me, eating while descending on these wheels (Reaching into back pockets to pull food) isn't the simple task it has been for most years. (When you are always going for Triple or Quadruple KOM"s on mountain climbs you don't have the luxury of stopping to get your food or drink). But - the worst every descending wheels I've used still goes to my beloved Mad Fibers.

PRICE - Cheaper than Zipps or Enve where I live.

SHIPPING - it took 3 business days from the day I ordered - for the wheels to travel from Italy to Vancouver Canada and be in my hands.

ARE TYHEY WORTH IT - Yes. The speed increase ascending and descending has, in my eyes, justified this purchase. And as mentioned, they look fantastic.

GOING FORQRD - after this weekned I'm taking these off and putting on a new set of Schmolke TLO 45 Disc Clinchers - and will give those a spin for a few weeks to compare...

A brilliant write up, my mileage is circa 100k and i would agree with the majority of this write up, especially as i also run them on a cervelo r5 disc. On the tyre mounting, use a single layer of tubeless tape.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

and finally a picture of my R5 (51) with the Extralite wheels.... 6.3kg achieved with the wheels and...
Extralite stem with their mount,
Hollowgram SISL2 chainset with Stage power,
Replaced the RAT axles with Cruel Component bolt thru axles.
Enve Aero bars,
GP4000RS tyres with Tubolito inner tubes
J&L stem cap, Dura Ace pedals, Berk Dila saddle, Cervelo post
Waiting for a new chain... KMC DLC in black green!

billendk

by billendk

Anybody know the spoke tension on this wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

billendk

by billendk

billendk wrote:Anybody know the spoke tension on these wheels?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

mashiehood wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 pm
and finally a picture of my R5 (51) with the Extralite wheels.... 6.3kg achieved with the wheels and...
Wait, how did you mount the SISL2 on BBRight? :shock:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

mashiehood

by mashiehood

mrlobber wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 am
mashiehood wrote:
with a 119mm spindle - link below.
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/canno ... 41/s591298

moyboy

by moyboy

Very nice!
mashiehood wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:28 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 am
mashiehood wrote:
with a 119mm spindle - link below.
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/canno ... 41/s591298

RyanH

by RyanH

FYI, that increases the Q factor by 10mm. Whether or not this is an issue depends on you but just be aware that is not what the crankset was designed for. Off the top of my head it also affects chainline.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

RyanH wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 pm
FYI, that increases the Q factor by 10mm. Whether or not this is an issue depends on you but just be aware that is not what the crankset was designed for. Off the top of my head it also affects chainline.
Hi, yes aware of the Q factor but hasnt bothered me at all. Chainline has been fine too. My only gripe is having a Cannodale crank on a Cervelo :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythosxt

by mythosxt

My Roadmachine pimped with Extralite Cyberdisc 38c(1090gr with the xdr Freehub).
6,4kg with pedals etc.... as shown on picture. Happy :D
today-after work will be my first ride with the Wheels.
Attachments
IMG_2390.jpg