Schmolke TLO 45 vs Bora One 50?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:56 pm
The Schmolke for your Instagram account, the Boras for your rides.
haha :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

maxice wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 pm
Looking for a wheelset (Clincher) for a Colnago C64 disc build. Its spec'd with Campag 11 EPS disc so just the wheelset to confirm.

They are both about the same price. The Schmolke is c250g lighter with CarbonTI hubs and are slightly wider by 0.6mm, not sure if they are more aero or not?

For a 67kg rider, mainly undulating roads in and around Kent/Essex/Surrey at c30-50kph on the flats (and way way slower on the climbs) what wheel would you recommend?

The Boras would make it all match but its a heavier wheel and I'm not 100% keen on the look of the G3 lacing on both wheels

....would I even notice the extra weight?
You're looking to buy either Bora or Schmolke?
You have none of them now?

Heck, you could use other hubs to, why not the latest DT Swiss 180 hubs and Schmolke rims?

From what i have been told, it's true. The width of the rim should be wider.
I talked directlt to Eastons technical department. Aero 55 rims are very close to 28mm over brack track and the leading width is close to 30mm.
Tires with best aero-benefit were 22-23mm, even with such a wide rim.
So i would go for the widest rim i could find if aero was "the deal".
However, i'm not convinced the latest 19mm internal width rims are such a good idea if the frame and fork itself, handles maximum 25mm width of the tires.

A good option should also be Tune Schwarzbrenner 45C
Great hubs, very light and not expensive compared to the other two.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

maxice

by maxice

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:39 pm
maxice wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 pm
Looking for a wheelset (Clincher) for a Colnago C64 disc build. Its spec'd with Campag 11 EPS disc so just the wheelset to confirm.

They are both about the same price. The Schmolke is c250g lighter with CarbonTI hubs and are slightly wider by 0.6mm, not sure if they are more aero or not?

For a 67kg rider, mainly undulating roads in and around Kent/Essex/Surrey at c30-50kph on the flats (and way way slower on the climbs) what wheel would you recommend?

The Boras would make it all match but its a heavier wheel and I'm not 100% keen on the look of the G3 lacing on both wheels

....would I even notice the extra weight?
You're looking to buy either Bora or Schmolke?
You have none of them now?

Heck, you could use other hubs to, why not the latest DT Swiss 180 hubs and Schmolke rims?

From what i have been told, it's true. The width of the rim should be wider.
I talked directlt to Eastons technical department. Aero 55 rims are very close to 28mm over brack track and the leading width is close to 30mm.
Tires with best aero-benefit were 22-23mm, even with such a wide rim.
So i would go for the widest rim i could find if aero was "the deal".
However, i'm not convinced the latest 19mm internal width rims are such a good idea if the frame and fork itself, handles maximum 25mm width of the tires.

A good option should also be Tune Schwarzbrenner 45C
Great hubs, very light and not expensive compared to the other two.
I ended up with the Boras to have everything matching

angman19

by angman19

My solution was to find a rim/tire that optimized weight, aero, and rr, as i was greedy. I also think i did it on a moderate budget (cheap vs schmolke), and made a choice that hit the ball out of the park for visual impact also (because that matters!).

So what was the solution?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hambini wrote a 25mm tire should have minimum 60mm deep rim or aero effect would would be affected.
23mm tire came away with 45mm minimum i think. But when Easton tested Aero 55, the best tires for aero, was 21-22mm and next 23mm.
Do also consider that those Easton rims are very wide at the brake track. On my Schmolke rims i can easily say that you shouldn't go wider than 23mm tires if you want a somewhat flush fit, rim to tire.
Otherwise a nice set. Clincher TLO 45, 20/24 Carbon ti + CX-Ray came out at 1253g.
It should have been 1220g accoriding to spec.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.