Sapim vs DT Swiss alloy nipples

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wayne17

by Wayne17

Hi
I’ve only ever used DT Swiss brass nipples before, but I’m going to use alloy nipples on my next build. Which brand is better or are they basically the same. And also can you use DT Swiss alloy nipples on Sapim spokes or visa versa
Thanks

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I’d stick with brass, personally

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

The correct answer is C, Wheelsmith.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Never used DT alloy nipples but I have used as lot of Sapim alloy nipples (100000 at a rough guess). Most of the wheels I build get them (well maybe 2/3 of them) and they don't break.

Sapim nipples are strong. If the nipple binds on the threads (spoke preps like Sapim nipple freeze) can do this) then the nipple can break. This happen to brass nipples to. Stop this early and remove the nipple, clean up the spoke threads and either replace the nipple or spoke. Doing this means the nipple is not over stressed when getting up to full tension. The spoke with alloy nipples needs to come to the top of the nipple to remove the risk of the head shearing off. 0.5mm too long is better than 1mm to short after spoke stretch. A spoke prep that inhibits corrosion is essential. I use Sapim nipple freeze.

I can't comment on the quality of DT nipples but if you take care when building then alloy nipples are reliable.

Oh use a 4 sided nipple key too.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne17

by Wayne17

Cheers thanks for the info

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A mix of alloy nipples were tested by Raoul, and the results were that only the internal unanodized nipple displayed corrosion after 2 years in moisture and sealant.

A carbon rim section with cut spokes installed was placed in a box for 2-3 years.

Sounds like alloy is great but they have a tendency to bind so they don't last many "retruings".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Dont build wheels that require retruing then. I did say spoke prep like sapim nipple freeze is essential.

This is weight weenies FFS.