Spoke question for 87kg rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wayne17

by Wayne17

I have 28/32 hole hope mono rs hubs and mavic pro ust rims but I’m still wondering about the spokes.
Laser front laser nds/ race ds
Laser front D-light rear
Laser front Race rear
CX-Ray front cx- Ray nds / aerocomp ds
Alloy nipples
Want the lightest wheelset that is still reliable
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This question was answered on bike radar. There is no definitive answer except the stiffer you make the wheel the longer the spoke life. With CX rays it will be reliable, with race both sides rear it will still be reliable cheaper and not much heavier. Aero spokes are wasted on your wheels. The wheel will still not be light with them and there no aero benefit to using them given the spoke count count and rim.

Its like your asking the question again and again to get the answer you want to hear.

F45

by F45

I'd just do cxray all around.

Wayne17

by Wayne17

I’m not trying to upset anyone. Still uncertain about what way to go with spokes! I respect your opinion but can see no harm in getting other opinions as well, like if I went race on rear ds would laser on nds be better

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'm not upset your just not thinking clearly.

Is this a weight conscious wheel? High spoke count, sensible hubs, obviously not.

Is an aero wheel? High spoke count, funky shaped rim, obviously not.

That should make up your mind. Don't pretend this wheel is anything other than sensible. Sensible is good.

grover

by grover

There is more to bladed spokes than being 'aero' (are they actually aero?). They are easier to get a good quality build with due to the ability to control for spoke wind up.

My understanding. I'm happy to be corrected. Assuming rims/hubs do not change.

Stiffness of the wheel is determined by the cross sectional area of the spokes. Either thicker, or higher spoke count.

Tension does not contribute to stiffness as long as the spokes aren't completely losing tension during wheel rotation.

Reliability, for me, is mostly about the quality of the build. Again, not completely losing tension during wheel rotation, equal tension throughout.

While CX-rays and Lasers are the same weight and will build into an equally stiff wheel. I find cx-rays more reliable because you will not have spoke wind up in the build. I find Lasers are very hard to do this above ~90kgf. So I avoid using them on the rear driveside especially.

Spoke recommendation is partly to do with the skill of the wheel builder.

Rider weight is another consideration but more so how they ride. Is the person adept at lifting the rear wheel over lips etc or will they bang into things. These hits will detension the spokes that hit in that spot, so a thicker spoke is more likely to last longer due to higher fatigue resistance from more material (quality of material being equal).

For you. 28 2x, 32 3x with those rims and hubs. CX-Rays all around would be fine and the lightest option if you're happy to spend the money. If you want to save money go with D-Lights. For a penalty of ~70 grams. If you want a long lasting wheelset consider brass nipples instead of aluminium at a penalty of ~40 grams. I can never bring myself to accept the penalty of brass nips on my own wheels. I just build them right to begin with and don't have to touch them, so oxidised nipples don't trouble me...

Wayne17

by Wayne17

Many thanks for the advice

alcatraz

by alcatraz

With that spoke count you can choose any spoke. Go weenie if you like.

I wouldn't spend much money unless I knew I'd ride the wheelset a long time. I say this because the resell value will probably not be high (because of the unusual spoke count).

I found that cn424 spokes to be affordable and light enough to use on any cheap wheel. Haven't had one fail on me yet.

Like a previous poster mentioned, it's nice to work with bladed spokes when you tension them. You can do 1/8 turns which is hard with round spokes.

Get anodized nipples if you go alloy, preferably some quality nipples. I like Pillar DSN. Won't go back to standard anytime soon.

audiojan

by audiojan

Go CXRay Sprint instead... adds a few grams but will make the wheel significantly stiffer and more durable
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Wayne17

by Wayne17

Thanks once again for your advice will go for CX-Rays and maybe aerocomps on rds

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You just want CX rays don't you and are trying to justify the cost on technical grounds. You can't by the way for this wheelset If you CX rays just do that. Don't try and justify it by making the wheel easier to built e.t.c these are bogus arguments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com