Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon Disc 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RossLB

by RossLB

I currently have some Bora 35s on my Dura Ace Cervelo R3 disc. They are the "bright" 35s, with very bright Campagnolo decals on my otherwise Shimano bike.

I love the ride of the Bora 35s. But the Campagnolo/Shimano dissonance is really bugging me.

I am intrigued by the new Fulcrum Zero Carbon disc wheels, with a wider internal rim of 19mm, against the 17mm of the Boras. The depth is a little lower at 30mm vs 35mm, but this is probably immaterial in most circumstances (and I am not using these wheels for time trials). The wider rim of the Zeros suggests better handling and comfort. But I know from experience with alloy Zeros that those wide spokes on the Zeros can make the wheels very stiff to the point of harshness. The carbon rim probably negates some of that but not all.

I should really just stick to the Bora 35s, which are great wheels. But I can't stop thinking about the new Zeros, and how they would be a better aesthetic match for the bike, and (rationalising) might also handle better.

Is anyone riding the new Fulcrum Zero Carbon disc wheels? Any thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This new wheelset is a two-way fit. You can run tubeless and lower the tire pressure. This should help with the harsh ride.

jlok

by jlok

I'd have bought it if it were released sooner. The whole wheelset looks so great.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

RossLB

by RossLB

I've just ordered the wheels. I don't really need them, but I couldn't resist.

Tubeless is a bit too advanced for me - and I have a lifetime supply of Vittoria Open Paves that I bought when they were discontinued. I think the Paves in 25mm should suit these perfectly. It will be interesting to compare these to the Bora 35s.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I doubt the wheels will be harsh. Likely they will just be fantastic in all regards. If my experience with Shamal Ultras is anything to go by, they should feel incredibly solid but not a harsh ride. Please post a comparison with the Bora's once you've had some time with them.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RossLB

by RossLB

I took the wheels for their first ride today, a short 35km spin with a few hills.

Very stiff (as expected) but a smoother ride than the alloy Zeros, and possibly even smoother than the Boras. The hubs are completely silent. The increased internal width compared to the Boras is noticeable while cornering. The wheels also look great.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Good report. Can you report on the actual weight? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RossLB

by RossLB

Haven't weighed them, and (embarrasingly for WW) I don't have scales.

mriddle

by mriddle

Would like to see some pictures. Did you get light or dark labels? I assume the graphics are water trans like the Boras?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com