Wheel choice conundrum

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Having a bit of a trouble deciding on a disc tubeless wheelset for a new bike. I’ve read every relevant thread and nothing stood out, so I am making a personal appeal to wheel cognoscenti.

Application
winter bike: so mudguards.
Tire size: I won’t be running anything bigger then 28mm (max size with mudguards).
Rider weight: 78 kg
Usage – Road only (I have a dedicate gravel bike)
Mileage: 450 km per week in winter, 600+ in good weather. I still do the weekend hammerfest with some real fast guys so the bike gets worked hard.
Budget: $750 US/$1000 CA

I tried the latest Mavic Allroad wheels and was super impressed. So I am seriously considering a set of the Allroad Pro. But they are close to 1700 grams and with those fat aluminum spokes and not fast I assume. Totally bombproof and the best rim tire interface of any tubeless.

Another option was Easton EA90 SL Disc. Lighter and more appropriate for my pure on-road use. I do worry about long term durability. Comments?

I was thinking to go with a factory-built set just because it ends up cheaper. Always possible to find a bit of a deal. Hand-built would end up more.

I looked at Lightbicycle and I while I know people are happy with the product, I worry about the perfection of the tubeless tire/rim interface. And the hub choice means DT with questionable geometry for disc builds. Price is also higher.

Of the three options what makes the most sense? Any better choice that I have overlooked.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I think you could build a set of good, custom wheels, to satisfy these qualifications, including price!. I had a set of Hydra rims laced to WI CLD hubs built for gravel/CX duties, and they weigh in at around your target weight, using 24F/28R (2x/3x) lacing. The rims are wide (19mm) and tubeless compatible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

heard some concerns about WI hubs in wet conditions. Bearing not well enough protected.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I haven't had that issue over a couple thousand miles. If I do, I'll just get some better bearings and the problem will go away. That said, you can build a great set of wheels that fit your needs.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 pm
I looked at Lightbicycle and I while I know people are happy with the product, I worry about the perfection of the tubeless tire/rim interface. And the hub choice means DT with questionable geometry for disc builds. Price is also higher.
I've built myself two pairs of tubeless disc wheels using Light Bicycle rims, and had no problems mounting or retaining tyres on either. The lighter pair weighs 1430g with tubeless rim tube but without the valves installed:

DT Swiss 240s 28h rear hub
Hope RS4 straight pull 24h front hub
Light Bicycle RRU25 carbon rims - 18mm internal width, 25mm depth
Sapim CX-Ray spokes and DT Squorx nipples

Total cost of the components was about $AU960 ($US730). I've ridden them maybe 5000km by now, and had zero problems, and I haven't seen reports elsewhere of problems with the Light Bicycle wheels / rims.

wintershade

by wintershade

Campy Zondas. Hard to beat at half your budget.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

wintershade wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:23 pm
Campy Zondas. Hard to beat at half your budget.
I don't think Campy hubs are the most weatherproof hubs. Indeed I would rank them as "not-very-waterproof". I would go with Hope hubs and Easton, H+Son Hydra or Boyd Altamont rims. According to NovemberDave, WI hubs have been improved to cope better with rain and water, they are probably a good option too. However, I still have the feeling that Hope hubs have the best water protection, acording to many users.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Campy would be an option but they are too narrow. I like to run low pressures and I find that a wide rim is required to stabilize the tire in hard cornering. I think I need at least 19mm wide internal measure. The Mavics are 22mm which is a part of their appeal. I have to be careful though - too wide a rim and I could end up having to size down to 25mm tires to clear the mudguards. Not a bad thing if they still measure 28mm+ when mounted, but then are they safe on a 22mm rim? Probably.

As to Campy water protection, it rains very little where I am, but the roads are wet in the winter months. We deal more with splatter than bikes getting soaked, although you have to hose off after rides sometimes so decent protection is somewhat important.

@NickJHP I have noticed your wheels in other posts - very nice. The LighBicycle website doesn't show hope hubs with a 12 mm though axle option for the front. I guess I can place an order through some sort of direct communication?

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Fulcrum Racing 3 DB is now 19mm

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

spud

by spud

Light Bicycle are very responsive, but they are on break now for Chinese new year. Re tubeless, I have very good experience with Yishun rims running without tape, no reason to expect that LB won't be equally good. I've had a set of standard LB on my road bike for 4 years and they have been very good, no issues at all.

morrisond

by morrisond

Fulcrum Racing 3DB wheels at 19c internal look nice - 2:1 Rear lacing - You can get them out of Europe for less than $800 Canadian

wintershade

by wintershade

I've never had a problem with Campy hubs in wet and they're easily servicable.

I'm curious what other road hubs are ideal for a rain bike, being as I'm building one myself. The general rule of thumb seems to be weatherproofing/durability and weight are inversely related.

hannawald

by hannawald

Clearly Light Bicycle. They are not in the same league as shallow alu rims. You can compare them to branded carbon wheels..personal experience riding them tubeless, the same my friend.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Bontrager paradigm comp tlr?
Reasonable weight and price.
19.5mm internal width.

Trek build quality, and the non disc versions i've got, are a great set of hoops, and the easiest tubeless set up i've used.

It's only the brand snobs that stop them getting the attention they deserve.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com