why are my rear spokes pinging on 12%+ climbs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

emotive

by emotive

Geoff wrote:Check the hub flanges, too. I have broken a number of DT240 flanges and I am much lighter than you...
What should I be looking for, visible cracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Maybe it's my eyes but it looks like you are running 3x on a hub designed for 2x.

If this is the case, it would stress the spoke heads and flanges because they don't line up with the drill angles in the hub.

emotive

by emotive

alcatraz wrote:Maybe it's my eyes but it looks like you are running 3x on a hub designed for 2x.

If this is the case, it would stress the spoke heads and flanges because they don't line up with the drill angles in the hub.
Does this help?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My bad, seems that the 28h hub is 3x and 24h is 2x.

How's your spoke tension? Maybe it's a bit low.

You could feel the (drive side) spoke tension difference with the tire inflated and deflated. Tell us if you notice something weird like a large variation.

120kgf should feel quite stiff, like if you squeeze hard they could start hurting your hand a bit. Deflection could be 2-3mm at most at the crosses.

(Edit: valve is in the right position)

emotive

by emotive

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:38 am
How's your spoke tension? Maybe it's a bit low.

You could feel the (drive side) spoke tension difference with the tire inflated and deflated. Tell us if you notice something weird like a large variation.

120kgf should feel quite stiff, like if you squeeze hard they could start hurting your hand a bit. Deflection could be 2-3mm at most at the crosses.

(Edit: valve is in the right position)
I can make them move when squeezing a pair of drive-side spokes. they move 2 or 3mm at the cross, as you suggest. My LBS builds wheels, maybe I'll get him to measure the tension on them all.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sounds normal then. Maybe check the spokes for scratches? Is something touching them?

I have to say I'm very surprised. At 28 spokes too, and 85kg ride weight.

You must have legs the size of tree logs. :)

To be continued...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Is the RD catching the spokes?

Cascadian

by Cascadian

I had the same problem with my Mavic R-SYS SLR. It sounded like I was playing a piano very badly. The cure for me was a drop of teflon oil at the interface between the hub and spokes.

Geoff

by Geoff

@emotive, I can see from your pics that those are straight-pull 240s, which are apparently ok, so it is not that.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Hi Geoff, an earlier picture (on Pg 1 of this thread) shows DS spokes touching where they cross.
Less is more.

andreas

by andreas

Cascadian wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 pm
I had the same problem with my Mavic R-SYS SLR. It sounded like I was playing a piano very badly. The cure for me was a drop of teflon oil at the interface between the hub and spokes.
Every time pinging has happened for me (on a cross spoke pattern), the cure has been a drop of oil on the crossing points and then wiggle them a bit to distribute. Sometimes happens after extensive cleaning.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Good point made by Andreas.

Lubing the heads and crosses is not a permanent solution but I would do it for failsearching purposes.

Maybe your spokes or hubs arent cut to proper tolerances so that you get a bad interface between them. Then when you apply heavy torque they start producing noises.

Even though it's not recommended maybe try some spoke head washers on your pulling spokes. You have 7 on each side but ds side is probably the highest tensioned ones where the noise is more likely to come from if the theory is correct. Problem with using washers is corrosion so brass or titanium would be more long term.

emotive

by emotive

andreas wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:14 am
Cascadian wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 pm
Every time pinging has happened for me (on a cross spoke pattern), the cure has been a drop of oil on the crossing points and then wiggle them a bit to distribute. Sometimes happens after extensive cleaning.
took the wheels into my local bike shop, and he said the same. Also checked spoke tension, they are low, but within range. Have them booked in to tighen them up late this week, and lube the cross points.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Don't forget the heads.

If the pinging comes back it wasn't because of tension.

Tension is set without a tire. It's normal for tension to drop a bit after mounting a tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com