Kinlin sub 1300g build or Fulcrum 3 (1570g) wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I've been looking for a wheelset for my daughter's new bike (as the current wheels are just awful in every way). Trying to keep the price down, I've found 2 used sets in really good condition-

one is a Fulcrum 3 C15 set, which comes in between 1555 and 1580g. T

The other set is a kinlin xr200 build 20/24 spokes that comes in somewhere around 1300g.

If it was me riding them, I wouldn't touch the kinlin's, but my daughter is barely 5 feet tall and weighs about 97 lbs (and she's done growing).

Price is very close, the fulcrums would be about $30 cheaper.

Thoughts?
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I built a wheelset with XR200's (with Bitex hubs 20-24) for my daughter a while back.
When she was 11 or 12 yrs old, during warm up before a race, she was fooling around with friends and fell. The front rim came out of true pretty badly.
It took a special wheel plying tool to bring it back to acceptable shape. Fine rims, but fragile.
The wheels are still rolling fine after 6-7 years now. Still one of our lightest wheelsets :) .
That said she'll have fun with either sets.

Louis :)

robertbb

by robertbb

2010 called, and it wants those XR200's back!

Out of curiosity I just went and weighed/measured the XR200 I have hanging in my garage (from an old trainer wheel I took apart for the hub). 366g and 13.82mm internal, 18.25 external. If you stick your daughter on these rims I'm calling the parental abuse hotline... :lol:

Forgot to take pic of external measurement.

LouisN

by LouisN

Fashion victim .... :wink: .
Our XR200 wheels now are used by my "non racer other cyclist" daughter with a pair of 28 mm Rubino Pro's and are very pleasant to ride :beerchug: .

Louis :)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I went with the fulcrum wheels. The weight isn't going to make that much of a difference and they're great wheels. If it was ever necessary, I could even use them. Other than the kinlin rim width, my concerns were the seller didn't know what the hubs were nor what the spokes were. If they're not cx-ray spokes, I could get a wheelset built from china for almost the same price I would've paid for a used set.

So, it's the fulcrums and they ended up being about $50 less than the others (the white hubs will also match her new bike).
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

robertbb wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:39 am
2010 called, and it wants those XR200's back!

Out of curiosity I just went and weighed/measured the XR200 I have hanging in my garage (from an old trainer wheel I took apart for the hub). 366g and 13.82mm internal, 18.25 external. If you stick your daughter on these rims I'm calling the parental abuse hotline... :lol:

Forgot to take pic of external measurement.
I run Kinlin 200's tubeless... one over 4000 miles to date w Pro Ones. Fast... light and no issues. Other set tubeless w Continental Ultra ll's 25's... same thing. Working just fine.. 2400+ miles this winter.

LOL.. what is the next "wave" of rim marketing? I mean.. the wide rim male cow dung is getting full up... now the heavy plastic rims ala A-row are emptying the coffers... what next to get the coins flowing?
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.