Hope RS4 road hubs: any users, reviews ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm tempted to try the new RS4 hubs by Hope on a set of do-it-all wheelset.
I read they have good reviews for their MTB hubs.
The RSR4 rear is relatively light, and comparable to WI, DA and the like.
Any WW member using these hubs ? Any real life use reviews I can find ?

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Yes i am using the rs4 on a set of nemesis rims in silver and they are really good,roll smooth etc no problems.
On a par with dura ace which i have owned in the past.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Svetty

by Svetty

Really good hubs IMO.
I have two wheelsets with bearings still buttery smooth after 000s of UK winter miles.

euan

by euan

They will be good. And Hope has great warranty.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

They fine as hubs. Not sure if they are using forged shells or still CNC machining from billet. The only thing I don't like about hope hubs is the geometry. Flange spacing is 17mm/35mm the rear which is an improvement on the DT Swiss road hubs but not as good the WI T11 or Dura ace 9000 hubs. The nds flange in these hubs is further out at 37mm and the WI hubs push the DS flange out about from 17mm but ergot who uses these hubs more will probably have precise measurements.

The ratchet ring is a good size though for the number of teeth.

The thing is you can spend alot less on miche Primato hubs and not sacrifice bearing life but they weight a bit more. Or buy Shimano dura ace hubs.

If you want to splash out try Royce. The hope hubs are not light enough to make you go wow so other considerations to me trump weight.

They are reliable though but the end caps don't pull off easily at least I have had to really try with hope hubs in the past.

mattr

by mattr

Hope have been using forged shells for a decade at least. I've got some that are over 10 years old with forged machined shells. And they weren't the first models made like that. It's more likely to be 20 years since they moved to forging.

Soft jaw pliers for end caps.

It'd rather have to use them, than have end caps that can be done with fingers and nothing else.

mattr

by mattr

And I've been using hope hubs since the ti-glide was launched. They have mostly been solid dependable hubs with a few quirks over the years. Most of which have been ironed out now.
And excellent warranty if it does go wrong.

(My first hope rear hub eventually failed after it'd outlasted half a dozen rims, 2 frames, a couple of sets of bearings, 5 or 6 seasons of racing and another 5 or 6 as all weather training wheels. They didn't owe me anything.)

LouisN

by LouisN

Thanks for the replies guys.
I stopped obsessing about hub geometry a while ago and worry about the important stuff ;).
That is : Are they serviceable ? Do they build good, reasonably stiff, long lasting wheels ?
My best hubs by far have been the ones that have the poorest '' on paper'' geometry stats. Oh ! They're also the ones most of the planet are using on their wheels, pros, big name companies, etc...for some bizarre reason, here on WW lots of people are bashing them... :?
My worst hubs have been the ones with the best claimed geometry ...

The Hope RS4 weight approximately the same as Dura Ace (20-25g heavier than DT240) , but they're sensibly lighter than the Miche ones (80 g difference is huge).
Like my experience with their cassetes, I'm placing them a few steps below the mainstream brands.
bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:13 pm
The thing is you can spend alot less on miche Primato hubs and not sacrifice bearing life but they weight a bit more.
Fun fact: I Googled ''Miche Primato Hubs'' on two different browsers and ended up with The Cycle Clinic as first choice, before Chain Reaction, Wiggle, end others... ;) .

nachetetm

by nachetetm

LouisN wrote:They're also the ones most of the planet are using on their wheels, pros, big name companies, etc...for some bizarre reason, here on WW lots of people are bashing them... :?
Popularity has nothing to do with quality; Justin Bieber is out there to prove it :-D

Regarding TheCycleClinic, the fact that he recommends the cheaper option (and probably the one that leaves him a smaller benefit than other options) just because he believes it makes a better wheel according to his reasonable arguments is a good praise to his honesty, not the contrary as you seem to suggest.

Once said that, Hope hubs are well regarded in UK and I'm sure they build into a nice wheelset. And they are pretty, which is probably the key for their success.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I do d not know that. Yes I sell niche hubs but oddly enough I sell what I think I'd the best. I can buy anything I like I leave out the hubs like hope that dont offer anything TT hat other hubs fontm yes they are reliable, easy to service, and have good spares supply ( hope are really good at that) but since other hubs offer that miche for example and they cost less you have ask why should I offer hope. The only reason I can think of is people like them and op for them without them being suggested. With hope while they are good hubs I would be charging people more money for benefits that I don't think are worth it given miche hubs exist. If they did not then hope would be my first choice too. I have difficulty in charging for something I would not buy for myself.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

LouisN wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:59 pm

I stopped obsessing about hub geometry a while ago and worry about the important stuff ;).
That is : Are they serviceable ? Do they build good, reasonably stiff, long lasting wheels ?
Hub geometry plays a very large part in how stiff and long lasting wheels will be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That's is very true.