Reynolds RZR lateral play in rear hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tfayet

by tfayet

Hello
I've got few lateral play on my Reynolds RZR rear hub.
Do you know how can we disasembly the hub? Or must I send the wheel to Reynolds? Or does someone in Europe do the maintenance of the hub?

And on left side of the hub, the small part (in red in photo) can move left to right. It is not fixed to the axle
20190118_132146.jpg
Let me know Please

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Quote from road.cc

"The deep-flanged hubs come with carbon bodies and house super-smooth bearings. You're not allowed to open them up for maintenance, though. If you do you'll invalidate the two year warranty. They have to go to an authorized Reynolds dealer for servicing."

Are you still under warranty?

If out of warranty I think reynolds should still help with some instructions.

I'm not familiar with reynolds hubs. I'd try find some info on how the hub works. Reynolds should be able to inform you if you're out of warranty. Maybe we can help interpret if you post their answer here.

/a

tfayet

by tfayet

The period of waranty is finished.
I'm gooing to send an email to Reynolds.

If only I could know how to remove letf or right end caps

none

by none

Have you tried just pulling them apart with some friction tape & plyers?

tfayet

by tfayet

none wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:41 pm
Not yet
But I 'd rather know exactly how to do instead of damage something

kode54

by kode54

try using soft jaws in a vise and see if they pop off. most likely with all hubs, the end caps are separate from the axle itself...like DT Swiss and Chris King (my experience). from there, you could probably determine how they put them together.
tfayet wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm
none wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:41 pm
Not yet
But I 'd rather know exactly how to do instead of damage something
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If the hub end caps don't have some way to hold them either with a cone wrench or an allen key in the hole, they are 99% likely just for pulling off.

You need a tool that can grip the cap without scratching or deforming it. Then pull it straight off.

After that the freehub should come off by pulling straight. Check afterwards the axle for play. Explain what you see and feel.

A normal sealed bearing hub has 4 bearings. Two in the hub and two in the freehub. Play issues are easier found with the freehub off.

If you habe a preload mechanism you'll find a nut of some sort on the axle that can compress or decompress the bearings.

Play can either be explained by a shifted or damaged bearing, worn axle, bad tolerances, cracks, or a misadjusted preload.

Sometimes it's just a loose skewer and some friction in the hub preventing the parts to compress properly.

Mep

by Mep

tfayet wrote:Hello
I've got few lateral play on my Reynolds RZR rear hub.
Do you know how can we disasembly the hub? Or must I send the wheel to Reynolds? Or does someone in Europe do the maintenance of the hub?

And on left side of the hub, the small part (in red in photo) can move left to right. It is not fixed to the axle
20190118_132146.jpg
Let me know Please
The hubs on an RZR are Tune I believe, so you can try to find someone in Europe who's familiar with Tube hubs. Hope that helps.

tfayet

by tfayet

Hello
Finaly, it is really easy to remove ends caps, an old quick release, and I remove the ends caps knocking with a hammer on the quick release.
Inside, from right to left we find:
- right end caps
- freehub with 2 6802 bearings (24/15/5)
- 2 shims 20.5*15*0.4
- 2 * 6802 bearings inside the midle of the hub
- one 6802 bearing
- one shim (24*15*1) to protect left bearing
- one shim 20.5*15*0.4
- lets end caps

I'm gooing to buy some shims 20.5*15*0.4 and less thick to try to remove lateral play. If still present, I'll change bearings.
I'll post some photos later or the hubs and parts removed ;)
Thanks again for your helps

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check what type of play you have before buying stuff. Adding a shim does nothing in some cases.

Are the hub bearings pressed fully?

Inspect the axle for wear at the bearing locations.

Is the play in the bearings or in the bearing/axle/hub interface?

Is it lateral or radial play?

Are the bearings gritty?

If the play is in the bearings replace them with low play bearings like SKF. Forget ceramic. At 6802 size you will crush those balls into dust.

Because the bearing races are so small it's possible you've worn the axle or produced a gap between bearing and hub shell. You will need to use retaining compound to fix the bearing.

I have a hub with 4x6802 bearings too and the weakest link is that inner wheel bearing. It carries almost all the weight and will wear fast. This bearing needs to be high quality steel to eliminate most of the play. Steel bearings of different brands have different tolerances. I had to test several brands before I realised that skf were the best for me. Low play and low cost, roll very nicely. Together with retaining compound they brought my old hubs back to life.

tfayet

by tfayet

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:53 am
Check what type of play you have before buying stuff. Adding a shim does nothing in some cases.

Are the hub bearings pressed fully?

Inspect the axle for wear at the bearing locations.

Is the play in the bearings or in the bearing/axle/hub interface?

Is it lateral or radial play?

Are the bearings gritty?

If the play is in the bearings replace them with low play bearings like SKF. Forget ceramic. At 6802 size you will crush those balls into dust.

Because the bearing races are so small it's possible you've worn the axle or produced a gap between bearing and hub shell. You will need to use retaining compound to fix the bearing.

I have a hub with 4x6802 bearings too and the weakest link is that inner wheel bearing. It carries almost all the weight and will wear fast. This bearing needs to be high quality steel to eliminate most of the play. Steel bearings of different brands have different tolerances. I had to test several brands before I realised that skf were the best for me. Low play and low cost, roll very nicely. Together with retaining compound they brought my old hubs back to life.
Ok, Thanks
It is only lateral play. But 'll change also bearing you are right
I Will take https://www.123roulement.com/roulement-6802-2RS-SKF.php
In the hubs, bearing are directly in contact with carbon. Do you think I can use retaining compound without dalmaging hub and carbon.
And f I need to change bearing after, how to remove bearing

alcatraz

by alcatraz

There are different strength retaining compounds and for different size gaps. They aren't permanent locking compounds, they just help to fill the gaps. Heat can be applied to losen them a little, unless you use the wrong kind that is like 150C proof.

If your play is in the interface then try a small amount first. A drop smeared very thin on the outer race is enough to make a world of difference.

You need to use it sparingly so that it doesn't go into the bearing and ruin a new bearing.

I don't think it will damage the carbon. Some pros would say you need to use a special primer first but I've used without with no problem.

My memory isn't great but Loctite 641 is a gentle compound for small gaps, then you can go to 609 which is thin but high strength (careful), and if you have big play you can try 638.

638 might be better than 609, but best to double check first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com