Campy eurus g3 questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

am i to assume that these are the same as the shamal ultra, except for the hub shell and the bearings?
Eurus doesn't have the C17 suffix. are they a 17mm internal width? or narrower?
online retailers indicate identical weights for the pair

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a set of Eurus. I think they are 15mm internal. I don't think Campagnolo has updated them to C17 width yet.

I got these Eurus wheels with a bike I bought used and they have been sturdy wheels but if I was buying new I'd get the Zonda C17s. They cost significantly less and I think the stainless spokes are a bonus over the special aluminum spokes. I broke a spoke a couple of months ago and the replacement spoke cost $20 and I had to buy a $10 spoke wrench to install it.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 am
I have a set of Eurus. I think they are 15mm internal. I don't think Campagnolo has updated them to C17 width yet.

I got these Eurus wheels with a bike I bought used and they have been sturdy wheels but if I was buying new I'd get the Zonda C17s. They cost significantly less and I think the stainless spokes are a bonus over the special aluminum spokes. I broke a spoke a couple of months ago and the replacement spoke cost $20 and I had to buy a $10 spoke wrench to install it.
oooohh, they are proprietary spokes, arent they? nipples too?
not too sure how i feel about proprietary spokes

i tried searching the web for any Shamal c17 vs. HED Belgium threads. couldn't find much info comparing the two directly.

AJS914

by AJS914

Yes, the spokes and nipples are proprietary. The whole wheel is proprietary. My Eurus wheels have been good and they ride nice. Changing one spoke has been a PITA though. If I start breaking more spokes it's going to get expensive.

I'd get the HED rims built on some nice hubs or some other good 30mm rim (Easton, Aforce, Kinlin).

The Shamals do look cool and you can get them in all black (Mille). They might have the perfect look on the right bike. I do wonder about those reinforcing blocks around the spoke holes and how many aero watts they cost.