Sweet Spot for Cheap(er) wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm
Are you saying that wheel weight doesn't make a difference in a crit where you will decelerated and accelerated those wheels hundreds of times?
No, not saying that at all.

Focus on the system weight, W/KG and W/CdA for flat crits... the position of a small # of grams on the wheels is inconsequential vs. the system weight and CdA.

FYI, AJS, I race crits with tubular wheels most of the season... just love the feel. However, I wouldn't recommend it for someone like the OP who's at the stage of his racing where he's asking "Which wheel?"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I get what you are saying but crits aren't steady state efforts. Saving 600 grams on the wheels is huge. That's 21 ounces. It will make your bike feel magical. :-)

I don't know why the OP only wants aluminum brake tracks. I understand why people don't want to ride tubulars but crit racing is kind of the perfect situation for tubulars without the hassle. The course is closed and you won't be repairing flats on the side of the road.

lofgrenb

by lofgrenb

morrisond wrote:I would highly recommend Fulcrum Racing Zero's. Very stiff and responsive for sprinting and crits.

17C internal - USB ceramic cup and cone bearings run extremely smoothly and fast.

They will be stiffer and arguably roll better then any hand-built wheels you can have built, and at about 1,515 grams not bad on weight (I'm assuming you aren't going to try and have sub 1,400 gram wheels last in crits)

Only about 628.18 Euros shipped to the United States from Germany right now. PM me if you want to know where I saw that price.
I can’t figure out how to DM you but I want that link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:34 pm
I don't know why the OP only wants aluminum brake tracks. I understand why people don't want to ride tubulars but crit racing is kind of the perfect situation for tubulars without the hassle. The course is closed and you won't be repairing flats on the side of the road.
Convenience. This person is new to racing. You and I clearly agree the tubies are the way to go for crit racing (which is 95% of the racing I do, so I have dedicated wheels for it).

But for someone who's new, they're probably also not thinking like you that these are race-day only wheels. I'd bet the OP will do plenty of other riding on these wheels and show up and race on his/her regular wheelset (which would be aluminum tracked for convenience and all-weather reliability).

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Tubulars are GREAT for ANYTHING. It's just that factoring the cost + hassle of puncturing isn't practical.

Loved it when I had a pair, but I was just always thinking what if I punctured in the middle of nowhere.