Road disk brake hubs for wheel builds: Best, lightest, most reliable

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Lifelong wheelbuilder here. Riding in western WA, wet & gritty.
I use Extralite Cyber Disc hubs on my Summer wheels, and Tune King/Kong in the Winter.
Yes I replace bearings, but it's nothing on either brand with the right tools.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jbass

by Jbass

Been using Chris King for a few years now. No complaints!

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I like Extralite too but everyone's idea of low maintenance is different. At a minimum, you have to take the freehub assembly off, clean it and grease it with a specific grease twice a year. The seal there does not do a good job of keeping water out. Contrast this with a set of Dura-Ace hubs I have that are 4 years old and I've never touched them.

L3X

by L3X

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:47 am
I use Extralite Cyber Disc hubs on my Summer wheels, and Tune King/Kong in the Winter.
I can definitely recommend the Tune hubs as well. I run them on road bikes and MTBs year round no matter the weather. Usually I service them once a year, but that more because I like to take care of my equipment.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:47 am
Lifelong wheelbuilder here. Riding in western WA, wet & gritty.
The right tools is something that probably only wheel builders and perhaps some bike stores are willing to purchase. Very few users will be willing to do such a spend, or even get in the trouble to service the wheels with the right frequency. If on top of that you don't have the right shop with the right tools closeby, the wheel owner will get tired of its wheelset very fast.

I'll definitely pick reliability over lightness if there is a chance the wheelset will see bad weather.