What lightweight aluminium training/winter wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

romanmoser wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:49 am
I love a force rim but for example with DT240 and cx ray 20/24 spokes it would cost me 790€ here in Europe
https://superlight-bikeparts.de/Laufrad ... Wheelset_1

Maybe I should try to source the rims and hubs and give them to my wheelbuilder having him build them and source the spokes
I always love being able to make people near to me do a living out of their work .

And I get it , lot of wheelbuilder rightfully tell that they are to be compared with expensiver carbon rims . okay

But for 850 900 euros I can get bora 50 last generation in very good or good condition on the local craiglist.
And I get it these are tubular wheels and carbon rims so if I destroyed them it would a ton of monney to have them repaired and probably not worth it
But I've done the granfondo het ronde van vlanderen twice the the big one on carbon rim and tubular , nothing broken and
bora braking surfaces are among the best I think for CF

Anything comparable to the A force AL33 except the Kinlin 31 ?
Wide , a little bit high , tubeless ready ?

Thanks
If I were you and if I were a bit on the heavier side riding rough roads in nasty weather (not wishing to bring exclusive wheels) I'd go with a carbon fairing alloy wheel in front, 24-25mm wide. 50mm deep. Think Bontrager Aura5 or Hed Jet 4/6. Put a 25/28c tire on.

Then in the rear get a chinese carbon rim, as stiff and as wide as you need with a 28/32c tire on.

You get stiffness and braking, for rough roads at a cheaper price. My friend toured around europe 2000km with just this setup, on cobbles and mountains. He's over 100kg. Every other rider in the group had issues but he didn't have any. Well planned. Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25c tires. They balloon nicely up to 28mm on wide internal width rims. Same tire front/rear possible with wider result in the rear. Preserve swap front/rear tire ability. Very nice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commendatore

by commendatore

67 kg is on the heavier side now???

alcatraz

by alcatraz

No I was unaware of the weight, apologies.

I'd still use 25mm front and 28mm rear for cobbles.

23mm front and 25mm rear for smoother roads. (at that weight)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

alcatraz wrote:Think Bontrager Aura5 or Hed Jet 4/6. Put a 25/28c tire on.
The fairings will make water ingress a problem, at least with the Auras. That’s one of the reasons why I got rid of them (that and they’re HEAVY).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I have an aura5 rim here and it's 450gr for 50mm. That's not so heavy. In fact lighter than some carbon rims. The spokes and hubs are heavy maybe.

There are holes in the fairing.

I'm talking winter riding.

For dry summer riding put your bling wheels on. :D

Belgium and nortern Europe is relatively flat. It is high moisture/rainy so aero + alloy braking surface is king when trying to get cheap speed.

Weight is not a priority in this region.
Last edited by alcatraz on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, same with Houston (albeit not as cold). My Aura wheelset came in around 1800g, and the drain hole wasn’t particularly large, so I wasn’t comfortable relying on that for draining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk