What lightweight aluminium training/winter wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxice

by maxice

Looking for something light (up to about £500) to replace the standard Shimano R500 wheels on the bike (Cervelo S1)

67kg rider

Considering the following:

Hunt Aero 31 wheels at £339 seem ok and are reasonably light
DT swiss dicut Oxic 32 (slightly above budget) but look good

Or would it be better to have some built?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Hunt Aero 31 uses the Kinlin XR31T/RT rim. Nothing wrong with that it a good rim. The question with the Hunt wheel is do you like hubs? It is the light weight hubs and the thin spokes that give the aero31 wide its reatively low weight. However bear in mind dropping the weight this way does not change how the wheels feel. A heavier hub could be used and they would feel exactly the same. If heavier spokes are used on the rear wheel you would probably like that when riding. I am not critisiing the Hunt wheels by the way I am mearely pointing out look past weight for this kind of wheel.

The DT Swiss rims have paper thin brake tracks. Good thing they are hard coated in a ceramic like material.

I would always go with the get some built but I am biased. I would also suggest the Kinlin rim. Its a good egg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Maybe you should elaborate where you live and what kind of weahter your "winter" is.

There's a big difference in choice of wheels if you live in e.g. southern than northern europe.

Do the wheels have to be able to withstand really foul weather? Or are we just talking minor temp drops, but still dry weather.

robertbb

by robertbb

Campagnolo Zonda C17.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Winter wheels for Australia would be bora ultra 50s now wouldn't it? :D

maxice

by maxice

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 pm
The Hunt Aero 31 uses the Kinlin XR31T/RT rim. Nothing wrong with that it a good rim. The question with the Hunt wheel is do you like hubs? It is the light weight hubs and the thin spokes that give the aero31 wide its reatively low weight. However bear in mind dropping the weight this way does not change how the wheels feel. A heavier hub could be used and they would feel exactly the same. If heavier spokes are used on the rear wheel you would probably like that when riding. I am not critisiing the Hunt wheels by the way I am mearely pointing out look past weight for this kind of wheel.

The DT Swiss rims have paper thin brake tracks. Good thing they are hard coated in a ceramic like material.

I would always go with the get some built but I am biased. I would also suggest the Kinlin rim. Its a good egg.
Thanks, you suggest building a wheel using Kinlin rims, anyone in particular?

H Plus son archtypes of similar weight/quality?

maxice

by maxice

Multebear wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 pm
Maybe you should elaborate where you live and what kind of weahter your "winter" is.

There's a big difference in choice of wheels if you live in e.g. southern than northern europe.

Do the wheels have to be able to withstand really foul weather? Or are we just talking minor temp drops, but still dry weather.
Central London and Kent/Essex. Nice load of potholes, grit and grime....

Marin

by Marin

Just built myself a set using Kinlin XR22T/RT rims, easiest build I've ever done. The wheels were basically true after initially tensioning the spokes.

For your budget or a maybe a few quid more Malcolm at thecycleclinic.co.uk will handbuild you a bombproof wheelset, and tell you exacly why he chooses the components in it.

bobones

by bobones

I've recently built a couple of sets of winter/training wheels using the new Mavic Open Pro UST rims, which I rate very highly: they're wide, good looking and very light. The first set have lightweight Bitex RAF10/RAR9 hubs in 24F/28R, silver Sapim Laser front, D-Light rear and they came in sub-1400g with brass nipples. The Bitex hubs are nice, but not the most durable for wet weather use so I built another set (as yet unused) using Miche Primato Syntesi hubs (24F/28R) that are reputedly trouble free in the worst conditions. For these I used black lasers front and NDS, with D-lights DS and black alu nipples. Despite the heavy, strong hubs, they're still a very respectible 1510g. Something like either of these would be well within your budget, a delight to ride, and economical to keep running for years.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I am in suffolk Maxice. The Kinlin XR31T is the ideal all eather aero rim because it cheap and potholes, well they dent rims. The XT22T is shallower and lighter. Ignore the archetype. Its narrower, shallower need 24F/28R spokes miniumum and is not tubeless compatible. A Kinlin XT31T build with miche hubs which how I normally build them is lighter in 20F/24R spoke count than a similar build but 24F/28R with the archetype rims.

Frankly you only get the archetype if you want silver rims and want easy fit tubed tyres. Tyre fitting to kinlin XR tubeless series is not bad if you use tubeless tape.

With the Kinlin rims your best off using Koolstop salmon pads which are nice and soft. The same applies to the mavic rim. The brake track on it is not very thick, its a 420g rim after all. The Kinlin XR22T and mavic OP UST are equivelent rims reall, the practical difference being the weight. The XR31T is a much stiffer rim and can build into very stiff wheels. Hunt use a thin pillar spokes for the rear 31 wide. With the same rim and hubs of similar flange spacing (miche) I use a thicker aero spoke because I cant be arsed gram pinching and stiffer spokes I think are needed for stiffer rims to stop brake rub for those powerful riders that side load there wheels. All wheels flex it is only a question of how much. Miche hubs use 6001 bearing and decent ones. Personally I get 10,000 miles of year round riding from a set of bearing in these before they need changing.

robertbb

by robertbb

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:36 pm
Winter wheels for Australia would be bora ultra 50s now wouldn't it? :D
35's.... it gets windy ya know ;-)

maxice

by maxice

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:05 pm
Well I am in suffolk Maxice. The Kinlin XR31T is the ideal all eather aero rim because it cheap and potholes, well they dent rims. The XT22T is shallower and lighter. Ignore the archetype. Its narrower, shallower need 24F/28R spokes miniumum and is not tubeless compatible. A Kinlin XT31T build with miche hubs which how I normally build them is lighter in 20F/24R spoke count than a similar build but 24F/28R with the archetype rims.

Frankly you only get the archetype if you want silver rims and want easy fit tubed tyres. Tyre fitting to kinlin XR tubeless series is not bad if you use tubeless tape.

With the Kinlin rims your best off using Koolstop salmon pads which are nice and soft. The same applies to the mavic rim. The brake track on it is not very thick, its a 420g rim after all. The Kinlin XR22T and mavic OP UST are equivelent rims reall, the practical difference being the weight. The XR31T is a much stiffer rim and can build into very stiff wheels. Hunt use a thin pillar spokes for the rear 31 wide. With the same rim and hubs of similar flange spacing (miche) I use a thicker aero spoke because I cant be arsed gram pinching and stiffer spokes I think are needed for stiffer rims to stop brake rub for those powerful riders that side load there wheels. All wheels flex it is only a question of how much. Miche hubs use 6001 bearing and decent ones. Personally I get 10,000 miles of year round riding from a set of bearing in these before they need changing.
Thanks for the info, the XR31T seems like a good option. Do you they come in all black like the Oxic/Archetype/fulcrum nite?

F45

by F45

Kinlin has the XR22, 26, and 31. The 22 is the lightest.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Only the a force Tim which is expensive has a ceramic coating.

Use the pads I suggest and braking will be very good.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

I love a force rim but for example with DT240 and cx ray 20/24 spokes it would cost me 790€ here in Europe
https://superlight-bikeparts.de/Laufrad ... Wheelset_1

Maybe I should try to source the rims and hubs and give them to my wheelbuilder having him build them and source the spokes
I always love being able to make people near to me do a living out of their work .

And I get it , lot of wheelbuilder rightfully tell that they are to be compared with expensiver carbon rims . okay

But for 850 900 euros I can get bora 50 last generation in very good or good condition on the local craiglist.
And I get it these are tubular wheels and carbon rims so if I destroyed them it would a ton of monney to have them repaired and probably not worth it
But I've done the granfondo het ronde van vlanderen twice the the big one on carbon rim and tubular , nothing broken and
bora braking surfaces are among the best I think for CF

Anything comparable to the A force AL33 except the Kinlin 31 ?
Wide , a little bit high , tubeless ready ?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com