pverdone: 110x12 in 2021, 100x12 should never have existed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ooo

by ooo

pverdone wrote: Talking with another framebuilder bro today. He seemed to not know about 110×12 wheels for the front of narrow gauge bikes. I got a little bit mad.

The market is currently flooded with fancy 100×12 wheels and exotic forks for road and gravel bikes. Another boondoggle by the marketing idiots and roadies that don’t understand how bicycles work. Almost all of this happened long after mountain bikes had moved to 110mm front spacing. Going to 110×12 spacing was the OBVIOUS choice. The reasons are all the same.

But that’s not what happened. That’s going to happen in 2021 instead. Why? Because it took less effort to do less and make more money on secondary sales for upgrades that should have been stock years earlier.

Marketing shills and roadies; the enemy of bikes. They’re stupid but they know how to make money being stupid.

Still, that the consumers haven’t realized that this is being done to them for the 5th time in 10 years, it’s really their fault.

Here’s the math:

http://www.peterverdone.com/100x12-shou ... e-existed/
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Just because he has a website and strong, obnoxiously expressed opinions doesn’t mean he knows what he’s talking about.

PV is notorious on various MTB boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Marketing shills and roadies; the enemy of bikes. They’re stupid but they know how to make money being stupid.
You post in the road section about a guy that thinks roadies are the enemy of bikes?

Still, that the consumers haven’t realized that this is being done to them for the 5th time in 10 years, it’s really their fault.
I find this idea annoying that every innovation or incremental change in the bicycle industry is anti-consumer and marketing driven. I find the same anti-aero bike comments equally annoying.

You know what, you don't have to listen to marketing. You buy a bike you like and then just ride it until it's dead and then you buy a new bike you like and do the same. Just because someone comes out with a 110mm front axel, boost this or that, aero frames, disc brakes, or wider rims doesn't mean that YOU have to own it. If you don't like disc brakes then buy rim brakes, end of story.

Marin

by Marin

There's enough space on the front for flanges and the disc. PVD isn't right in this case.

I like him though, he's built a few really cool bikes, and crashed them in entertaining manner.