Narrow Carbon Clinchers to fit 2012 Evo frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JPJ109

by JPJ109

Hey all..
First post this time round, was a member many years ago though!

I'm looking for a new pair of carbon wheels (and yes I like carbon) to replace my Enve's (Pre Gen I), and my Reynolds Assault, both of which are starting to show their age.

The issue I have is the majority of the 'new' profile rims are likely too wide for my chainstays on my Hi-Mod Evo (black and white one 2012)

AX Lightness, Schmolke (which I really like and almost pulled the pin on before a 'oh hang-on' moment), ENVE are all likely too wide and wont give me much wiggle room for out of the saddle efforts and any possible flex. Can't justify the $$$ of LW's here on Oz & I'm running Sram Red so no aesthetic clashes either i.e. Bora's.

Need to be <1,300gms, 38-45mm rim depth, & not keen on no name rims as I like having the warranty/crash service in place.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

AJS914

by AJS914

What would be too wide?

Lots of rims come in 25mm wide (Reynolds, Fulcrum, Campagnolo, Farsports off the top of my head) and you can install a 23mm tire. The tire rather than the rim is usually the limiter on older frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JPJ109

by JPJ109

Both my back wheels are currently 23mm with a 23mm tyre.

Guys that I know that have tried 26mm rim with a 25mm tyre say its too wide on the older Evo's, the newer frames have the stays slightly scalloped.

The Zipp 202's apparently work but they are <25mm brake track width, so I recon that's my limit.

Mep

by Mep

You should be able to fit up to a 25mm outer rim width with a tire that measures up to 25mm, depending on the internal rim width on your wheel.

JPJ109

by JPJ109

Mep wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:17 am
You should be able to fit up to a 25mm outer rim width with a tire that measures up to 25mm, depending on the internal rim width on your wheel.
Yea, that sounds about right.

Options seem limited at this stage... Reynolds (too heavy at about 1,500gm published weight), Fulcrum (Racing Zero Carbon, looks OK weightwise <1,350gms), Zipp (likely too heavy as well), or custom.

All the new AX Lightness rims are gonna be too wide, and I can't find any of the previous gen ones..

IchDien

by IchDien

Mavic are generally a bit slimmer too.

JPJ109

by JPJ109

I noticed Farsports still do a 23mm wide rim with a reasonable choice of hubs.
I'll have a look through the Mavics as well

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com