Mixing Tubular Tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

On one pair of wheelset i use Vittoria Corsa G+, and this is my comfortable, lightweight version wheelset, but are wearing in about 3000-3500 km and more puncture prone after 2500 km..

So i have another pair of wheelset where i have Continental Sprinter tires..Sprinters for money are maybe best option, but far from comfort and grip that Corsa G+ Offer.. I use this wheelset for everyday riding, or where i need to be on safe side with punctures free experience (let's say riding 200 km in other country then mine..)

Anyway, I ordered to test Continental Competition tire, and my plan is to put it in the front for better grip (on rear i just install new Sprinter for new season), and since front wearing less and less puncture prone, i guess i'll still have similar results as Sprinter about this.

But wondering, how this mixing of tires would compromise maybe overal grip or handling, and is this good idea or better to have same tires on both wheels?

How many of u are mixing tires front/rear?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I've run mixed brands of tubs. I think you are worrying too much, the problem is only with the aesthetics!

3Pio

by 3Pio

petromyzon wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:29 am
I've run mixed brands of tubs. I think you are worrying too much, the problem is only with the aesthetics!

No problem with aesthetic here :) since both will be Conti tires.. Will share my experience with this as soon i have install Competition in the front and put some km's on it...

sungod

by sungod

as above, no issue really

fwiw on wet london roads i found conti comps no more puncture resistant than veloflex, maybe even less

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A harder wear rear tire and a softer rubber (and higher tpi) front tire could be an option.
I also agree, mixing tires front and rear is not a problem. Aesthetic aside...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RussellS

by RussellS

In the pro peloton, there is/was a neutral service car that carried spare wheels for riders who had a flat and no team car near by. Very common in Paris-Roubaix race. The neutral service car does not carry the exact wheels/tires used by all of the different teams racing. They carry one front wheel, and one rear wheel. Maybe two rear wheels with Shimano and Campagnolo cassettes. And I suspect the racers getting these neutral service wheels, with tires that do not match their team tires, put them through a harder life in 100km than you do in 1000km.

3Pio

by 3Pio

sungod wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:12 pm
as above, no issue really

fwiw on wet london roads i found conti comps no more puncture resistant than veloflex, maybe even less
This is good information. I'll put it as front one, and test it.If i get more kilometers then Corsa G+ maybe i'll switch to Competition. If same or less, then Corsa G+ will still be my nice tire and Sprinter the puncture free tire :)

Here not so good roads, but also not so often rain riding (except this winter months, but anyway i ride clinchers this period)

bikebreak

by bikebreak

summer corsa speed front corsa 25mm rear
winter wheels corsa or veloflex front and Pave rear. more grip
works great

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

report back with what. The OP has too much thinking time I think.

Competition tubs are the best conti do. They are very good tyres and no more puncture prone than the sprinters. I flat both but prefer the comps for there grip and rolling resistance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com