3M Super Weatherstrip & Gasket Adhesive (08001)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rgamble

by rgamble

First, best wishes to everyone in the coming year.

When 3M Fast Tack was discontinued a while back a replacement was sought. So this product was tried.

Will it eat base tape? Will it delaminate the rim? A 6 month test revealed the answer to be no in both cases. Additionally this stuff holds tighter than Fast Tack so be prepared for sore thumb syndrome getting a removal started.

A 5 ounce tube is about $10 and it comes in black & yellow. I use yellow to better see what's going on.

The attached pictures are with a worn out Continental Competion on a Bora rim.
Attachments
IMG_20181228_124743.jpg
IMG_20181228_124214.jpg
IMG_20181228_124151.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I'm wondering WHY? Why use this for gluing on tubular tires when there is readily available excellent tubular glue that is designed for this purpose. I'm aware some people do things differently just to be different. No sensible reason other than its different than what everyone else successfully does. This seems to fit that. I guess you can say its cheaper but not much. BikeTiresDirect is selling Continental 25g tubular glue for $3.49. So $3.60 per ounce basically. Yours costs $2 per ounce. Unless you are gluing a dozen tubulars a day, the cost difference is meaningless. Starbike sells an 8 ouce tin of Vredestein glue for $13.38. So $1.70 per ounce. Backcountry.com sells Vittoria 8 ounce glue tin for $24.99. So $3 per ounce.

AZR3

by AZR3

Perhaps if this is something that’s avilable when you don’t have time to wait for online delivery or if your LBS doesn’t have any glue in stock :noidea:

RussellS

by RussellS

AZR3 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:12 am
Perhaps if this is something that’s avilable when you don’t have time to wait for online delivery or if your LBS doesn’t have any glue in stock :noidea:
I suppose. But if you ride tubulars having enough extra glue at home should never be a problem. Just buy and keep one extra tube of glue around. They cost less than $3.50. Not having any glue around is about like a clincher rider not having any spare tubes around the house. Even if you patch tubes, as I do. You should still keep a few spare tubes around just in case you get a big hole that is not patchable. So if you ride tubulars, just keep some extra cheap official tubular glue at home.

rgamble

by rgamble

You make an interesting point.

Thinking about it I suppose it's a matter of habit with the 3M brand as virturaly everyone used 3M FastTack at Trexlertown velodrome. It's popularity was due in part to it being pretty much roll proof. Tire roll may be a result of installition protocol but with the 3M products one can pretty much eliminate that possibility. Having seen it occur a few times it's something I don't like to consider.

I have no interest in 3M other than their products.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

It does dry out the basetape, but holds well.